Need some motivation for a college student

Options
I've been back at college for almost a month.......and worked out ONCE. I feel awful, but I'm really freaking out about working out with people I know/who are my age. By freak out, I mean sick-to-your-stomach anxiety. Advice?

Replies

• mskimmyd
    mskimmyd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a gym like Curves where it's a female-friendly atmosphere? I've noticed at Curves that there's generally women there from all age groups (I've personally always found working out around men to be the most intimidating part).

Or, at your regular gym, what about going during "off" hours when you're able - at least until you get yourself more comfortable with it?

And hell, I suffer from social anxiety; does your school offer any sort of free and/or discounted healthcare? If so, using a MILD anti anxiety (like a very low dose of Xanax or Ativan) may be enough to get you over the hump. Ideally you only want to use this short term & not have to rely on it every time you go to the gym, of course.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    This is part of why I work out at home. I have slight agoraphobia-related issues. I don't know if you're in a dorm situation or what, but maybe you could do a workout video at home if the gym really freaks you out that much.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Workout in your room! You don't need a whole lot of space and you can choose any 30-minute amount of time your roommate is gone to do this workout! Get some dumbbells, throw on some music, do some mountain climbers (I start with 25), do some exercises to work your thighs, arms, back, abs. I like to do a circuit 'cause it's quick but burns GOOD calories and works your whole body if you have a good variety of exercises. I usually do something like this:

25 mountain climbers
    10 plie squats 10 lb weight
    15 military presses with knee kick 5 lb dumbbells
    10 sumo squat w/ concentration curl 8 lb dumbbells
    25 crunches
    3 sets of 10 scissor kicks at different heights starting with highest then going to lowest
    15 pelvis lifts with knee crossed over, then switch sides
    REPEAT

25 mountain climbers
    10 hammer curls 10 lbs
    21s 8 lb dumbbells
    10 swimmer presses 8 lb dumbbells
    20 tricep extensions with resistance band
    20 rows with resistance band
    15 chest press 5 or 8 lb dumbbells
    15 pec fly laying down 5 of 8 lb dumbbells
    REPEAT

25 mountain climbers
    10 tricep presses 10 lbs
    10 overhead shoulder press 10 lbs
    10-15 side bends with 10 or 25 lb dumbbell

I can't think of some of the names of these so I'm going to describe them. Hold one 10-lb dumbbell in both hands, one hand on each end. Stand straight with arms in front of you, resting on your legs, then bring up so that palms are facing down and arms come up above your head forming a straight line from your arms to your toes. Do this for 10 reps. For the next exercise, I take 2 8-lb dumbbells, one in each hand, stand with arms down at my sides and then lift up so that you're making a "T" with your arms and body. I aim for as many as possible, I'm up to 6 so far. I think that's about it, just repeat that circuit again.
  • Ssladick
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but don't be so shy or embarrassed. There is nothing embarrassing about being at the gym improving yourself, and no one there cares about what you look like while you're working out. You have to remember a lot of people at the gym who are in good shape now were in the same shoes you are right now, so they are not judging or anything like that.

I felt the almost the same way when I started going to the gym, but I realized I was looking around for people looking at me more than they were actually looking at me. (Hope that made sense).

I'm sure you would feel more comfortable at a smaller gym, or Curves like mskimmyd said, but I would suggest to let it be your first step into feeling less awkward about your body and show your friends that you're working on it.

Just my $.02 :)
  • HazelGal
    Options
    Grab some buds and walk the Ped Bridge. It only feels like fun not work! Except Idk if it's open...flood and all...but ya other than that I just go for walks mostly. Put in some ear buds and crank it. I hate when people stare at me when I am out walking, but hey for all I know they are checkin out my "skinner" self. At least, that is what I tell myself =D