Couch to 5k Graduate (c25k) Sorta?

Options
So I've finished all my weeks and am running the 30 minutes straight at a 4.2 speed on the treadmill I use (yes I know I want to/should be running on the real ground but that's another topic).
However I'm only running maybe 2 miles.

I am wondering what the best way to approach the distance goal for the 5k is

a) increase speed to cover the distance in the 30 minutes, gradually of course

b) run a longer time at the current comfortable speed increasing in small increments like the c25k

c) increase both time and speed to get to the 5k mark

I would appreciate help from other grads and runners in general

Thanks in advance,

Margaret

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My personal approach would be A. I'm on week 5 day 2 for my next workout, I do my running at 5 on the treadmill myself.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    just run longer, the goal isn't really to get to 3.1 miles in 30 minutes, it's really to just run for 30 minutes. If you can run longer, then do so, so just listen to your body.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're trying to achieve I suppose. If you're wanting to improve your speed, I would say start going faster...if you want to build your endurance to run longer, then go for longer.
  • dp341
    Options
    Mix it up - do a bit of both. Some days run a bit longer, some days run a bit faster - increases to distance or speed should be made in small (10%) increments.

Eventually you'll find you can run faster for longer.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I bet you could do that 5K right now.

What you are experiencing is exhaustion, which you can push through with motivation. I bet you could run your 2 miles at your normal pace, then slow a bit, and finish the race.

Having said that, I would increase speed one week, distance the next, and alternate. Its good to work multiple aspects :)

Good luck, good job! Tell us how you did!
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, always nice to hear that I'm kinda thinking along the right lines, I'm not sure speed is my goal, so working on just time with some speed thrown in seems like the way to go
  • gailduncan
    gailduncan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I always do my C25K out on the road. I did my week 5 day 3 (20 mins no walking) on the treadmill because it fitted in with me going to the gym. I found it much easier but only covered 2k, the next time I went out on the road and did 2 x 10mins jogging with 3 mins walking I ran over 3k. So I guess I didn't get my speed quite right on the treadmill.

The issue is that the treadmill dictates your speed, not your legs.

Personally, I would up the speed on the treadmill a little bit. You clearly have a certain level of fitness being able to jog for 30mins.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    For me at least maintaining 10 minute miles for three miles is an impossible dream! Why not apply the C25K approach to build up until you're running the entire time, e.g.:

Week 1: Run 15, walk 1, run 15, walk 1
    Week 2: Run 20, walk 1, run 20
    Week 3: Run 40
    etc.

After that you can concentrate on your speed. In different sessions to your increased distance, try adding 1 minute faster bursts between 4 minutes of steady speed.

Good luck!