Cutting out bread.

Options
has anyone cut out bread completley from their diet? Or have you just cut down on how many slices you have a week or anything?

For me, ive completley cut out bread from my diet! My last piece of bread was 31st december 2010. And ive not touched it since! It was super hard first couple weeks as i was used to eating sandwhiches day in day out! But few weeks into not eating bread i was fine, it didnt bother me. And now were on our 2nd day in the 9th month of the year and still not touched a slice of bread! Not even a crumb! To be honest ive actually forgottten what bread tastes like! I now use those deli mission wraps as an alternative, but i try not eat them too often as there high in cals!

The reason for me cutting out on bread was because i visited doctors in november last year, to get help with my weight. As i weighed in at a whooping 16stone 6! I was a size 18UK in clothes, and even shopping for jeans some id have to buy a 20UK size. Anyway - visited the doctors, he took records of my weight and height, calculated my BMI and it was in the obese category (34 ish). He then explained to me the affects of been obese - risk of diabetes, heart problems all that. I got really upset in the doctors, as i was only 18 at the time and been told i could get heart problems, diabetes etc was just heart breakining!!

So the doctor suggested to cut out on all carbs - bread, pasta etc. For as long as i can go without it and see if it makes a different with weight loss!! Ive completely cut out on bread.. Ive gone 9months without, why start eating it again now? After all the hard work! And pasta - well i havent completely cut that out, i eat it in moderation. Like twice a month or something! :)

And boy what a difference its made not eating bread! When i found this website on my ipod back in january i weighed in at 16.6 january 1st! (first day of no bread!) and now 9 months down the line i now weigh 13.11 (193.2lbs!) i know its only a weight loss of over 30lbs, which may not seem like an awful loss in a space of 9 months, but the weight doesnt come off me very good. (i have to work extremely hard, just to knock off a lb!)

Soo are you lot cutting out on bread? Or eating less and in moderation? What are your thoughts on cutting out on bread completley? Like i have =)

Sorry to waffle on a bit! But just want you all whose reading this to see the reason why i dont eat bread and how far ive come without eating bread! :D x

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    as you know i havent cut down on bread lol.
    But when i have a sandwich, now instead of having 2 (4 slices of bread).
    I just have the 1 and fill it the the stuff that i would originally spread across both sandwiches!
    Its like just as filling but with less bread and butter!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I have too... but that's because I'm celiac and I have to, lol. I guess whatever works for you really. Like, I didn't each much bread anyway, but I used to eat it occasionally pre-diagnosis. I haven't eaten pasta for longer than I can remember. For me they are just boring foods and not worth the calories. I prefer to fill up on fresh veggies, or I prefer rice and noodles.

There are lots of foods I haven't eaten for ages, but I've not said to myself 'never again'. I just tend not to choose the cheesecake that'll take a marathon to run off etc.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    as you know i havent cut down on bread lol.
    But when i have a sandwich, now instead of having 2 (4 slices of bread).
    I just have the 1 and fill it the the stuff that i would originally spread across both sandwiches!
    Its like just as filling but with less bread and butter!

Woop woooop, 2 slices of bread is much better than 4!! Just picture all those nasty calories!! Welldone, keep it up =)
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    1. Make bread.
    2. Toast bread.
    3. Get a jar of home-made jam......
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There are divided opinions about bread, some regard it as akin to leprosy, some say it's a necessary part of your diet (for the fibre). Me, I only ever eat my own home made bread, as I know there's no salt, sugar or butter in it, and I only ever use a low cal olive spread on it in place of butter, and even then only when I don't have something on top (like my favourite, mackerel!) Again, opinios may differ, but for me it's done me no harm whatsoever.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I love my bread and no way could I stop eating it......It's so much easier for me to make sandwiches for work lunch.....put

I don't use any butter or margarine as I found it takes away from the taste of the bread and fillings...........

Congrats on your weigh loss......
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I have too... but that's because I'm celiac and I have to, lol. I guess whatever works for you really. Like, I didn't each much bread anyway, but I used to eat it occasionally pre-diagnosis. I haven't eaten pasta for longer than I can remember. For me they are just boring foods and not worth the calories. I prefer to fill up on fresh veggies, or I prefer rice and noodles.

There are lots of foods I haven't eaten for ages, but I've not said to myself 'never again'. I just tend not to choose the cheesecake that'll take a marathon to run off etc.

Oooh rite i seee.. I agree with the boring foods and not worth the cals! And i prefer veg anyday too! Keep up the good work
  • xSophia19
    Options
    1. Make bread.
    2. Toast bread.
    3. Get a jar of home-made jam......

Conratulations
  • martinh78
    Options
    Food tubs are your friend. Put your fillings in them instead of bread.

For some fillings lettuce leaves make a good "bread" replacement (a burger at a bbq, wrapped in lettuce for example).
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have not cut ANYTHING out of my diet, I eat mayo, butter, chocolate, chips you names it. I just don't eat them often and when I do I eat small amounts. I don't think I could cut out things I like if I wanted to lol. I like food and I wanna still eat those things but just fill in more with better foods.
    Today I looked back at my food diary when I first started and one day I literally ate 800 calories just in junk food! I will never go back to that again, but I don't cut those things out. Just cut them down.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    Food tubs are your friend. Put your fillings in them instead of bread.

For some fillings lettuce leaves make a good "bread" replacement (a burger at a bbq, wrapped in lettuce for example).

Oooh sounds different! Never heard of doing that haha!
  • ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love my sandwiches. I'm a bread addict, haha. I have started eating these loaves that Aunt Millie's makes. They're 70 calories for two slices, instead of the normal 160 for two slices. They're lighter, but still taste the same, and have more fiber anyways. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well done on your loss so far!

I havent cut out bread completely, but have drastically reduced it. If I'm making my own lunch, it wont be a sandwich (but my work often involves business meetings with sandwiches provided for lunch, so I wouldnt say I NEVER have a sandwich)

I keep a loaf of Hovis wholemeal in the freezer. One or twice a week I'll have toast with peanut butter (before an early morning gym session say)
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I have not cut ANYTHING out of my diet, I eat mayo, butter, chocolate, chips you names it. I just don't eat them often and when I do I eat small amounts. I don't think I could cut out things I like if I wanted to lol. I like food and I wanna still eat those things but just fill in more with better foods.
    Today I looked back at my food diary when I first started and one day I literally ate 800 calories just in junk food! I will never go back to that again, but I don't cut those things out. Just cut them down.

Ahh i see, least ur cutting them down which is the main thing =) i still eat crisps, chocolate, ice cream the lot haha.. But also in moderation! Some reason i find it tastes alot nicer if i only have it now n again whereas if i ate ice cream every day id probably go off it and end up not liking it anymore! Weird i know, but its happend to alot of foods i used to like, i ate soo much of it on a daily basis and now i cant touch it lol
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi I started off at about 15st after having my baby in September but really started this journey in February this year. I had gestational diabeties with my baby so had to cut back on carbs during that time but now I just eat bread in moderation I used to have bread rolls with my meals but now the only time I have it is if I have a sandwich. I really don't think I could cut it out completely especially due to the fact whenever I seem to go to anyone's house for lunch sandwiches is what they always make.

Thinking about it though I only have it a couple of times a week now so loads better than I used to be.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I would find it really hard to cut out bread from my diet, it's just easy and filling to make a sandwich for lunch, however I probably would lose more weight if I did cut it out lol :P
  • xSophia19
    Options
    Well done on your loss so far!

I havent cut out bread completely, but have drastically reduced it. If I'm making my own lunch, it wont be a sandwich (but my work often involves business meetings with sandwiches provided for lunch, so I wouldnt say I NEVER have a sandwich)

I keep a loaf of Hovis wholemeal in the freezer. One or twice a week I'll have toast with peanut butter (before an early morning gym session say)

Thankyouuuu :)

Ooh thats good then :)
  • Just1Drew
    Options
    I've cut out bread, but then, I'm cutting my carbs down to 20 a day while I'm in the Induction phase (14 days) of Atkins. I don't miss bread anymore, as much as the idea of sandwiches. lol I suppose once I am able to get some grains in again I'll make my own low carb bread. I love baking my own bread.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    Hi I started off at about 15st after having my baby in September but really started this journey in February this year. I had gestational diabeties with my baby so had to cut back on carbs during that time but now I just eat bread in moderation I used to have bread rolls with my meals but now the only time I have it is if I have a sandwich. I really don't think I could cut it out completely especially due to the fact whenever I seem to go to anyone's house for lunch sandwiches is what they always make.

Thinking about it though I only have it a couple of times a week now so loads better than I used to be.

Ahh rite, its hard for me when i go visit family or go to friends and they offer me a sandwich, im like sorrrrry i dont eat bread =/ its prettty awkward as they have offered and i feel bad turning down there food. But they totally understand why i dont eat bread lol
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I've cut out bread, but then, I'm cutting my carbs down to 20 a day while I'm in the Induction phase (14 days) of Atkins. I don't miss bread anymore, as much as the idea of sandwiches. lol I suppose once I am able to get some grains in again I'll make my own low carb bread. I love baking my own bread.

Wahoooo ive found someone whose cut out on bread!! Welldone keep up the great work!!!