New and really just trying to stay in shape

Options
Hi guys!
So I admit before this year in school, I wasn't all too active. I loved running, but I did so infrequently- once or twice every two weeks or so. After this year, I did an hour or so on the eliptical/treadmill/combo and even started a little bit of Insanity and started lifting weights, pilates, etc. My goal is to just basically stay in shape (I used to be really out of shape and tired all the time) and not focus on the weight loss all TOO much, though ideally I'd like to loose 10-15 pounds. I have type 1 diabetes, had hypothyroid disease, and a little vitamin D deficiency. I was 114 pounds in my freshman year, 117 in my sophomore year, about 119 at the start of my junior year, and after my junior year (even after the exercise and all) I went up to 124 so I'm pretty concerned as to why that happened. I think it was because I mainly started eating salads and almost little to no carbohydrates. I guess I was pretty calorie deficient, plus with Vitamin D deficiency, that became progressively worse. So I'd really like tips on the kinds of foods I should eat and all. I LOVE fruits, vegetables and am now getting in the habit of also watching my protein intake (with greek yogurt, beans, fish/chicken/meat, eggs). In terms of carbs, I eat brown rice, brown bread, and wheat pasta (though infrequently-I'm more about brown bread). Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Spongebob. (jk) :o)

PS: I'm 5 feet tall (so I'm trying to loose weight according to my height)

Replies

• 4tolose
    4tolose Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to mfp :smile:

You need to eat at least 1200 cals a day or your body goes into starvation mode so maybe you need to check that you are eating enough. Also if you have been doing weights you will be getting more muscle I imagine and muscle weighs more than fat I think so this could be a reason you have gained on the scales. Maybe you should measure yourself as well as weighing so you can have a better picture of your body. I go by the fit of my clothes as well as the scales.

Hope that helps
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! Hopefully you are getting advice from your doctor or a nutritionist with you having to deal with all that you are dealing with...