what do y'all eat for lunch?

Options
I need some healthy ideas for lunches. Breakfasts & suppers Im good at. . .but lunch I usually eat alone with my son (who is only 13 months). . .so it's hard to prepare sometimes. . .I don't want to just eat frozen meals due to the sodium. . .any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I need some healthy ideas for lunches. Breakfasts & suppers Im good at. . .but lunch I usually eat alone with my son (who is only 13 months). . .so it's hard to prepare sometimes. . .I don't want to just eat frozen meals due to the sodium. . .any advice would be much appreciated.
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hmm- just finished lunch. Today it was tuna w/ 1 stalk celery chopped and grated carrots with 2 tbls. light mayo in warmed pocket bread with lettuce. Carrot sticks and hot cuppa green tea (baby it's cold outside) Tummy is full and thinking about a nap. Or trolling this here site for more yummy recipes.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I enjoy for lunch:

Whole wheat or whole grain bread with tuna salad (made with tuna in water, fat free miracle whip, and a little relish)

Pumpernickel rye bread with 2 tbsp. hummus and 1 c. alfalfa sprouts

Seasoned grilled chicken strips (store bought or home cooked) on Mission carb balance fajita with melted kraft free swiss single and chopped tomato

Smoked turkey lunchmeat with kraft free single, spinach leaves, and alfalfa sprouts on toasted whole wheat bread

**All of these I pair with baby carrots or celery sticks and a fat free yogurt! YUM! I also enjoy homemade light soups with some whole grain crackers or grilled chicken salads! Hope this helps!
  • Booksarenice
    Options
    Some of my favorites when I'm at school and sitting at my desk
    -. progresso southwestern vegetable soup and ww. crackers
    - ww. low carb tortilla with low fat mozzella cheese, spinach and red bell peppers microwaveduntil cheese melts.
    - homemade (crockpot) chicken soup
    - Boca Italian sausage with a salad
    some quick and easy lunches that come to mind and super easy to fix.
  • Booksarenice
    Options
    :happy: wow-these are some tasty sounding ideas I'll have to try for school lunches- yumm-
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I had a small lunch today because I am saving calories for dinner. :)

*1/2 turkey sandwich with swiss cheese
    *7 fat-free Pringles chips
    *Salad (dressing was lemon juice and pepper)
    *Diet 7-Up

I kept it at 210 calories... that leaves me over 900 for dinner. :)
  • pparker2214
    pparker2214 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job.. and I've found that keeping soup on hand for the week is a great way for me to stay on track. I'm much more likely to skip the drive thru on my way back from meetings or class if I know I have something there already. I typically use the progresso's or campbell's soups which are approx. 200 calories or so per container. If I'm hungrier than normal I can always pop over to the grocery store and pick up a fresh salad; or turkey (or) roast beef sandwich. If for some reason I'm not in the mood for soup I also like the tuna lunch kits that are available with cracker and mayo included. Super Easy and inexpensive!!

I've found that keeping breakfast and lunch to around 200 calories allows me to have a couple 100 calorie snacks throughout the day with plenty of calories to spare for a good dinner! (making sure to drink a bottle of water (at 2 cups per bottle) at each meal and snack --I easily make the 8c per day!!
    This also keeps my metabolism working all day.. On the plus side if I get a workout in then I'm able to go back for seconds or enjoy a desert... being prepared is the key for me!!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thomas Light Multi Grain English Muffine -100 calories
    Tomatoe Sauce- 20 calories
    Hand Pulled Fresh Mozzerella (80 calories)
    Cup of Strawberries (50 calories)

250 calories and it was wonderful! I love mini pizzas!
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    mmm now I'm hungry lol
    tuna would be great. I forgot about that. I just gotta go get fat free mayo. My in laws ony keep the real stuf:sick:
  • TIFFANYRAE767
    Options
    I like to eat a big lunch, it satisfies me through the day so i don't munch and then have a reasonable dinner. Today I had a 4 oz lowfat turkey burger (150 cal), 1 cup broccolli spears (30 cal) with no calorie butter spray, 7 oz baked in the microve sweet potatoe (150 cal) and 1/4 cup fat free turkey gravy 20 cal-total 350 call. I usually have 3 300 -400 cal meals with 2 100 cal snacks this equals 1100-1400 cal a day and keeps me full. i am single so most meals are individual servings and potatoes and veg microwave great. i usuall couple these with single serving meat portions that i bake in about 20 min-total prep time 10 min not counting bake time-by the way i have lost 120 lbs like this
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I almost always have the same thing. 2 slices (mostly one) of White Whole Wheat Bread, Smart Balance Omega Creamy peanut butter (2 teaspoons), and 1 tablespoon of Smuckers Reduced Grape Jelly. And Water.

That is my lunch. Lunch is my "main meal" in some ways....so that's when I throw the bread in.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up 4-5 chicken breasts on the weekend. I keep a few in the fridge, and a few go into the freezer.

I buy the bags of mixed lettuce or romaine and a bag of shredded carrots.

Lunch is a big salad with chick breast and veggies. MMMMMMMmmmmmmm!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Lunch is my pivot point for the whole diet day. I don't like breafast and I usually skip....I know, bad girl. So by the time lunch rolls around I'm starving, craving salt, and ready to eat my shoe. Either that or I've snacked on sunflower seeds and loaded up on salt.
    The old me used to eat 1 pc of fruit, a cucumber or carrot, maybe a small salad, and a half can of tuna. Hope this helps, cuz that's what I'm about to get back to this week.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Lunch is my pivot point for the whole diet day. I don't like breafast and I usually skip....I know, bad girl. So by the time lunch rolls around I'm starving, craving salt, and ready to eat my shoe. Either that or I've snacked on sunflower seeds and loaded up on salt.
    The old me used to eat 1 pc of fruit, a cucumber or carrot, maybe a small salad, and a half can of tuna. Hope this helps, cuz that's what I'm about to get back to this week.

I cant eat in the early morning...I bought these little yogurt shots (3 oz, 90 cals) I can drink it in one shot and it gets my system moving. Just an idea!!

:drinker:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    Today will be a pita pizza for me....MMMMMMMMMM

1 whole wheat flat pita(150), 1/4 cup pizza sauce(35) 15turkey pepperonie(50) 2% pizza fancy shredded cheese(90) then all the veggies the thing can hold ontop.:happy:

I got this recipe from a fellow myfitness pal-buddy! it is so delish and so filling....my supper is usually something lighter!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    See my post: Convenience Foods to take for Lunch!

A friend of mine introduced me to KIDNEY BEANS! I keep a couple of cans in my filing cabinet drawer at work (I am a teacher), and about once or twice a week I have them for lunch. 1/2 of a can is about 200 calories, is filling, FULL of protein and fiber, and with a 1/2 T. of butter taste really good! You just have to pour 1/2 of the can into a bowl (drain a little bit of the juice) and microwave between 2-4 minutes. Some of the beans will pop open! Just for a little change, I have actually crunched up 8 cracker squares before and added them like you do to chili. They are a little sweet and a little salty and the texture makes you feel like you are eating a little meat! Of any meal I take for lunch, this is by far the most filling and keeps me from binging just before supper.

The only two drawbacks: At first, you will need to isolate yourself from loved ones until your system gets used to all that fiber! But in a couple of weeks, the gas will pass and it won't cause that problem anymore. The other thing is that if you are watching your sodium, they are pretty high in it. (410 mg in 1/2 cup).

Another thing I have recently found is Bird's eye steamed veggies. I only eat 1/2 the bag, but they only take 5 minutes to cook in the bag, and again are low fat and higher fiber. These need salt and a tad of butter. The nice thing about these is that there are a lot of varieties, and like kidney beans they are VERY cheap!

They also sell Teryaki tuna in a zipper pouch in the canned foods section at WalMart. This is a little spendier, but with a couple of crackers, it makes a pretty good protein filled lunch also.

I was surprised when I had to enter kidney beans in the database myself, but it's now there for you to use. I like the Mrs. Grimes, light red kidney beans the best. Let me know how you like it, and PLEASE reply with what else you take for lunch out of convenience!

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I have a 15 month old and we eat together for lunch every day. The trick is finding something healthy for both of us that we both enjoy AND can be made in 5 - 10 minutes. These meals below are Mommy and toddler approved. :bigsmile:

Grilled cheese and tomato soup. I can have 2 sandwiches and 1/2 cup of (25% less sodium) tomato soup for around 400 cals.

Thin spagetti with a light sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese, with a cup of fruit or green beans - also around 400 cals.

Microwavable baked potato with low fat cheese and sour cream and a half cup of brocolli, around 350 cals.

Veggie or chicken quesadilla no oil (I use Pam), with low-fat cheese and leftover chicken and or/a veggie of your choice (I tend to stick in onion and spinach)
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I had a small lunch today because I am saving calories for dinner. :)

*1/2 turkey sandwich with swiss cheese
    *7 fat-free Pringles chips
    *Salad (dressing was lemon juice and pepper)
    *Diet 7-Up

I kept it at 210 calories... that leaves me over 900 for dinner. :)

sounds something i would eat!
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    Where do you get those????
    [/quote]

I cant eat in the early morning...I bought these little yogurt shots (3 oz, 90 cals) I can drink it in one shot and it gets my system moving. Just an idea!!

:drinker:
    [/quote]
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Chow down one of the babies' veggie jars!:tongue: I like eggs, low fat cheese and V8. My grain carbs are usually in the am. Peanut butter and a banana! Soooo good.:smile::smile: