Exercise doesn't work for me...why?

Options
I'm getting motivated again to workout and eat healthy and I swear when I workout I dont do as well for my weigh in's. I do so much better when I dont workout, why would that be??

Replies

• monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    are you eating more when you work out? what kind of exercise do you do?
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I think it is the whole building muscle thing. You build muscle when you workout, so it is possible not to see results on the scale. I suggest you measure yourself instead. You are probably losing inches instead of pounds.
  • socialite1
    Options
    If you add working out to a restricted diet, you have to increase your calorie consumption. Otherwise your body goes into starvation mode causing you to store fat, water, etc. So to answer your question, it may be because you're not eating enough.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    and how long have you been exercising? you have to give it time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what exercise do you do, and how long have you tried it for in the past?
  • almille
    Options
    If you see the difference pretty quickly after a hard workout, it may be water retention IN your muscles as they swell to repair the damage and build back stronger. I find I'm better off if I ignore the scale and focus on how much better I feel, or easier my exercises are to do now. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm getting motivated again to workout and eat healthy and I swear when I workout I dont do as well for my weigh in's. I do so much better when I dont workout, why would that be??

when you start working out your muscles retain water to protect them from the exercise and to aid in recovery. Once you get use to the exercise your muscles will shed the water weight.
  • speckledbandit
    speckledbandit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to think this was true for myself as well. However, that was because I never gave exercise long enough to work. Counting calories alone can help you to lose a lot of weight in the short term, but I've discovered that to maintain weight loss you must exercise. Once your body becomes acclimated to doing exercise, you will drop the weight. Both together is the best strategy for success. I had to workout for about two weeks to a month until I started seeing the results I wanted. Through diet and exercise I've lost 20 lbs. in a little over a month and a half.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Read "Why you sometimes gain weight when starting a new exercise routine."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis
  • kristin1007
    kristin1007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I definitely dont eat the calories I burn, I just figure those are "extra" calories that will help shed the fat. But maybe I will give it more time and eat some of the calories I burn.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Read "Why you sometimes gain weight when starting a new exercise routine."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

Great article! thanks
  • if you are eating more calories than your burning off you wont loose anyweight! try having a diet with less calory intake!:smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I definitely dont eat the calories I burn, I just figure those are "extra" calories that will help shed the fat. But maybe I will give it more time and eat some of the calories I burn.

this why exercise doesnt work for you!
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Personally, I try to eat 75% to 100% of those exercise calories back, as MFP will already have you operating on a deficit.

What I found with exercise is that my own self led exercise regime (such as using the cross trainer) wasn't nearly as intensive as a fitness DVD (I just completed the 60 day Insanity program). Insanity gave me an appreciation for just how hard I would need to work in order to achieve my goals.