NSV? When is exercise not worth logging...

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
Today I went on a 11 mile route on my (rather shambolic) old mountain bike alongside my training partner who was running in preparation for a half marathon. Normally I would have run along side her but I have a 10K race on Sunday so today was really a rest day and I went out just to loosen up my legs.

So, we were out for 1 hour 40 mins doing a steady 9 minute mile (6.5 miles per hour) and I want going to bother logging it in my diary as I hadn't broken a sweat... Then I though to myself - this is a long time to be moving about.There were plenty of hills etc - I should do it. (I put this as 400 Calories)

Then I realised this: When I started training and loosing weight at the start of this year - any exercise over an hour would have been a major achievement. And now I'm almost dismissing it. I guess that's a victory :)

Replies

• geraldm55
    Options
    Your an inspiration to us all!!! log all of your exercise as it's all important. Congrats on getting in shape and making it part of your life style.
  • redmessenger
    redmessenger Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is a entry for biking at a certain speed. I believe ir is under 10 mph. I would be willing to bet you burned more than 400 calories in 90 minutes. It is a great achievement to dismiss a workout like that when before you would be proud to finish. Keep up the good work. Good luck on your run.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    ha I guess it is a victory - at this time, I'm adding my shred calories but no other exercise (walking, swimming) because I simply don't want them added back. I'm staying around 1300 calories for September - I have a deadline (vacation)
    everyone has their own reasons - health & weight loss is a personal thing
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    That is activity and I think it is worth logging.

congrats on your improved fitness level - that is so cool! You must be feeling really great right now. It is even better that you realized you were discounting something that is truly an accomplishment.
    Very cool!
  • missduffbug
    Options
    Definitely a victory - I log when I walk to the station and thats like 40 minutes a day! I list everything that I do because every calorie burned is a little success.
    400 calories - thats 400 little balls of success. Well done! :)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

"I would be willing to bet you burned more than 400 calories in 90 minutes"
    ... the <10mph cycle had it at about 480 and this was quite a lot less than 10mph :) - 400 is probably accurate. Should have worn my watch!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will wait to log things I did just before I got to bed at night (most of the time because I'm doing other things), kinda helps me sleep better knowing that I'm still in the green. :wink:
  • jetsec
    Options
    Thanks guys.

... the <10mph cycle had it at about 480 and this was quite a lot less than 10mph :) - 400 is probably accurate. Should have worn my watch!

Well done on completing that ride and not even breaking a sweat! I'd be in coronary care lol. I use my HRM when I go to the gym and the recommended one on here when I've been swimming but I don't log anything else that I do.

You are doing fantastic, well done.

Jayne
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

11 miles at 40 calories per mile (average person on an average bike burns 40 calories per mile) works out to 440. 400 is a pretty safe bet!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!