More Dairy = Flat Belly?

Options
Came across this article on the Yahoo! homepage this morning..... It basically says, all things being equal, women who consume more dairy than not, tend to lose more belly fat. Yes, eating MORE dairy = less belly fat??? I don't know about that.... I know that more than a few of us on here have tried to reduce or cut dairy completely, and one of Asylum's Shaun T's key diet tips is to cut out dairy...

What do you guys think??

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/could-this-be-the-ultimate-secret-to-flat-abs-.html

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Came across this article on the Yahoo! homepage this morning..... It basically says, all things being equal, women who consume more dairy than not, tend to lose more belly fat. Yes, eating MORE dairy = less belly fat??? I don't know about that.... I know that more than a few of us on here have tried to reduce or cut dairy completely, and one of Asylum's Shaun T's key diet tips is to cut out dairy...

What do you guys think??

Like exercise, there isn't any food that targets belly fat. Fat storage is genetic.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If I read it on the internetz, it must be true...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I hope so. I love cheese and yogurt!!!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

What do you guys think??

I have seen some studies that suggest this. Who could possibly benefit from said studies.........hmmmmmmm.

There is no secret food. Reduce bodyfat until your flat stomach is achieved.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Actually heard about this in a couple of documentaries. The argument goes that the high amounts of calcium present in dairy tend to bind onto the fat (or something like that) and cause more of the fat you eat to not be digested.

Err, or something like that. But there have been authentic studies done that show you uhhhhh 'excrete' a lot more fat on a high dairy diet. Although that could just be general dairy intolerance :P
  • chiroGirl77
    Options
    Oh Wow! So if I eat more dairy and walk to my car everyday I can have ABS! That is awesome. I wonder if I drink 5 glasses of whole milk a day if it will speed up the process?!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I wonder who financially backed this study though... My guess is they have something to do with the dairy industry.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Really there's nothing new in that study at all. What they proved was that a High Protein diet coupled with Exercise will lead to weight loss while maintaining or increasing muscle mass. Umm pretty sure I've read that in at least a dozen spots on MFP alone.
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've read that 3 portions of low fat dairy a day can help promote weight loss (based on trailed tests of two controlled groups etc.) Something to do with the calcium (plus protein keeping you full I guess.) I'd be a little skeptical of the claim it will specifically target belly fat - it would be nice though :)
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have cut dairy for the most part, so I thought it was interesting and wanted to see what the opinions were.

Thanks to the trolls btw. :yawn: CLEARLY it's not like HOOORRAYYY EAT ICE CREAM AND BE SKINNY!!!! but you know, do your thing.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've always found that if I have yogurt and milk it helps me lose weight more quickly...not certain that it was specifically linked to the belly though.
  • danewton
    danewton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dairy just doesn't mean milk. It also means yogurt, which contains probiotics that are good for digestive health (i.e. help your body to rid itself of excess waste). Maybe that is what they are talking about?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just because women who consume more dairy happen to have flatter bellies, that does not mean that the dairy caused the flat belly. All other factors would have to be considered too. What else do women who cosume all this dairy have in common?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily "dairy" but more the vitamin/hormone D that's found in a lot of dairy foods. If you're getting plenty of D, which most of us are NOT...your body releases more leptin, the hormone that tells you you're full...stop eating. I've heard that a breakfast high in vitamin D can blunt your appetite for the next 24 hours. D also works with calcium to reduce the production of cortisol, the stress hormone that causes a lot of people to store belly fat. Do a search on Vitamin D, it's benefits, and Vitamin D deficiency. It's pretty important stuff. We've recently added a supplement of 2000 I.U's of Vitamin D & I'm anxious to see it's effects after a few weeks.

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/burn-fat-fast

Edited to add link to Men's Health article.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    low fat dairy is very filling and relatively low cal -- a quarter or half cup of skim milk fills me up with protein and carbs and its not many calories. I wonder if people who eat high dairy diets are just subbing a lot of lowfat dairy for other higher calorie foods. I can't have much though, like most of the world population I don't digest it very well. Also didn't grow up with it so I don't crave it the way some people do (I like milk in my tea and coffee though). For a while I was using it as a regular diet food for the reasons stated above but like I said, too much dairy and I = no good.

Also RE: Vitamin D - Go outside in the sunshine for 30 minutes a day. Win game. Its not that hard to get adequate vitamin D, the only people who DON'T are people who have the kind of work schedules where they don't see the sun every day.

In my office job at the very least I walk to starbucks or to lunch or take a few loops around the building. And that's as a relatively sedentary person. I do find I feel very tired and droopy on a day I don't do that but I just got a window seat (yay) so that should also solve it. I doubt that's a major factor for most people unless you literally do not leave the house during daylight hours.