Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    OK. I've gotta ask.

Why are so many people (and the whole premise of Paleo eating) so in love with mimicking cavemen? This is my honest question, not trying to pick a fight.

I just don't get why we'd want to emulate cavemen whose life expectancy was about half of ours. What makes us think they were healthier? They died of diseases. And if we're thinking that they had better physiques, I'd ask how you know that. I hope we're not relying on Hollywood's imagery of cavemen, are we? Enlighten me.

And please don't take my comments to be a plug for eating processed crap, it's not.

For me, it's not about being like a caveman, they did face many things that make me grateful to live in the present- I appreciate modern shelter, medicine, emergency & surgical care, internet, etc. For me, it's not reenacting the caveman lifestyle, but the metabolic milieu (to borrow from Dr. Kurt Harris). Optimizing my health potential by avoiding what we were not designed to eat- industrial seed oils, chemicals, trans fats, excessive sugar, too much grains. Grains were around in the paleolithic, and different peoples did eat them, but not in great quantities like we do today and they are very different than the domesticated grains that we have today (as is true with so many of the foods we eat today). There was no one true "paleo" diet- there was much variation due to environments but the underlying commonality was real, minimally processed food whether it was low carb, high carb, whatever.

I've gotten where I have a problem with the label "paleo" because it does conjure such ridiculous images of people running around pretending to be cavemen (and to be fair, there are those who are doing that) but mostly it's people who believe we can look to our past for clues how to live in the present and be the healthiest we can be.

I agree with this. I like the way I heard Robb Wolf talk about it (which he attributed to someone else--I don't remember who):

"Paleo is a logical framework, not a historical reenactment."

To me it makes a LOT of sense to try to eat what humans evolved to eat. Sure, we don't know exactly what that is and yes, just because something is a neolithic food, doesn't mean that it is harmful, by any means.
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I believe that they would have eaten the fat, offal (organs), the leaner meat and pretty much everything except for the hide. Bone marrow is full of fat that is fantastic for you and they would have sucked the marrow out of the bones as well.

Thank you for making me throw up in my mouth a little. lol
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the same thing happens to me when I read the ingredients off of a typical BOX of processed food you find in the grocery store. And even a lot of the so called 'healthy' processed foods and gluten-free processed foods. And the "low-carb" or "low-fat" processed foods.

I believe that they would have eaten the fat, offal (organs), the leaner meat and pretty much everything except for the hide. Bone marrow is full of fat that is fantastic for you and they would have sucked the marrow out of the bones as well.

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    OK. I've gotta ask.

Why are so many people (and the whole premise of Paleo eating) so in love with mimicking cavemen? This is my honest question, not trying to pick a fight.

I just don't get why we'd want to emulate cavemen whose life expectancy was about half of ours. What makes us think they were healthier? They died of diseases. And if we're thinking that they had better physiques, I'd ask how you know that. I hope we're not relying on Hollywood's imagery of cavemen, are we? Enlighten me.

And please don't take my comments to be a plug for eating processed crap, it's not.

For me, it's not about being like a caveman, they did face many things that make me grateful to live in the present- I appreciate modern shelter, medicine, emergency & surgical care, internet, etc. For me, it's not reenacting the caveman lifestyle, but the metabolic milieu (to borrow from Dr. Kurt Harris). Optimizing my health potential by avoiding what we were not designed to eat- industrial seed oils, chemicals, trans fats, excessive sugar, too much grains. Grains were around in the paleolithic, and different peoples did eat them, but not in great quantities like we do today and they are very different than the domesticated grains that we have today (as is true with so many of the foods we eat today). There was no one true "paleo" diet- there was much variation due to environments but the underlying commonality was real, minimally processed food whether it was low carb, high carb, whatever.

I've gotten where I have a problem with the label "paleo" because it does conjure such ridiculous images of people running around pretending to be cavemen (and to be fair, there are those who are doing that) but mostly it's people who believe we can look to our past for clues how to live in the present and be the healthiest we can be.

Well said. I also think the 'paleo' moniker is somewhat amusing; however it takes it's cue from the benefits of traditional diets of paleolithic humans. Before grains became commonplace and bred for the protein content that is in them now--those proteins are difficult for many to digest. There has been evidence that grains were used in some way before farming became widespread, but if you've ever tried to grind wheat berries you'll understand why it is suggested they likely soaked and/or fermented them before consumption. That step, in addition to a lower protein content, reduced the load on the digestive system.

Paleopatholgists, paleobilogists and paleoanthropologists have many approaches to ascertain the diet and health of humans of long ago. A great deal of information can be determined from bones, skeletal form, and teeth, as well as middens and coprolites (fossilized dung)--poor dental health, disease, infection, etc, all leave their mark in bones and teeth. Their height and bone thickness provides evidence of nutrition because these structure require good health. They must have been extraordinarily healthy to live in an environment without the amenities we enjoy now such as protected shelter, an abundance of food, healthcare, and other conveniences that are non-essential but sure are nice :-)

You can read my profile and my diary is open; would be hapy to answer any more questions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok, you are just trolling and trying to pick an argument................

Okay, yeah maybe a little. But when people make silly statements like "eating grains will give you leaky gut syndrome" it's really hard not to.

It is not a silly statement and it is very real.............When a person eat grains, especially "whole grains" it causes perforations and tears in the stomach, intestines, colon, etc and causes leaky gut syndrome.

Stop trolling and do some reading and research. Are you afraid to be proven wrong? Don't start an argument saying silly things - it is ignorant.
    What is Leaky Gut Syndrome? Many of my clients ask what leaky gut is and how so many different symptoms can be associated with it. The answer to these questions is both simple and complex. The simple part of the answer is that the cells of the small intestine that normally allow the small nutrient molecules of digested food (the amino acids, glucose, and fatty acids) to pass between them and enter the blood stream become damaged. This creates a more permeable or 'leaky' intestinal wall and larger, undigested food molecules, toxins, bacteria and other substances are able to pass through these 'leaks' in the intestinal lining and enter the blood. Because these substances do not belong in the blood, our immune system creates antibodies against them and they are carried to the liver where they are metabolized. If the 'leaks' in the intestinal wall are not healed or become larger, over time the continual barrage of these unwanted substances overworks our immune system, overburdens our liver, and stresses the many and varied systems in our body.

Now for the complex part. We are all biochemically unique and things like genetics, our medical history, our lifestyle and eating habits, and our overall state of health can make some systems and organs in our body weaker than others. And so, while you and your friend may both have a leaky gut, it's very possible-- and even likely-- that you will experience different leaky gut symptoms.
    Below are just some of the conditions and symptoms that have been associated with Leaky Gut Syndrome:

abdominal pain • aggression • allergies • alopecia • anxiety • arthritis • asthma • attention deficit disorder (ADD) • bed-wetting • bladder infections • bloating • brain fog • carbohydrate intolerance • chronic fatigue syndrome • chronic pain (abdominal, joint, muscle) • colitis • confusion • constipation • cramps • Crohn’s Disease• diabetes • diarrhea • eczema • fatigue • fevers • food sensitivities • fuzzy thinking • gas • headaches • indigestion • inflammation • irritability •Irritable Bowel Disease • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) • Lupus • memory problems • migraines • mood swings • multiple sclerosis • nervousness • nutrient deficiencies • psoriasis • poor immunity • rheumatoid arthritis • scleroderma • skin rashes

Surely you can see how ridiculous this sounds to anyone that, like me, eats grains and does NOT have holes in their gut. I know the research on grains. And it comes from medical studies, doctors and scientists, not a book or web blog.

You had your gut checked for holes? Why?

I didn't specifically have a "gut hole check". But after age 50 your doc (and children) starts hounding you to get a colonoscopy to test for colon ca so I know that part of my gut is healthy. Plus I had a laproscopic medical procedure a few years ago that would have shown something like that.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Yeah, the same thing happens to me when I read the ingredients off of a typical BOX of processed food you find in the grocery store. And even a lot of the so called 'healthy' processed foods and gluten-free processed foods. And the "low-carb" or "low-fat" processed foods.

No kidding. I'd rather have bone broth and a bit of liver cooked in some tallow or rendered duck fat any day over what passes as healthy food in pretty much any grocery store.

See, for example, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703834804576300991196803916.html (Granted a bit of cellulose doesn't freak me out too much, but why would I pay a company to feed me wood? I'll just eat some greens for fiber, thanks.)
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    OK. I've gotta ask.

It's amazing how much can be found out by studying bones. But I'm not a forensic anthropologist so I can't answer those questions. At least not without doing some extensive research. But the reason the life expectancy was lower is they didn't have the modern day technologird and access to medicines that we have. A broken bone or a cut on the finger could mean death. There was also death in childbirth. If all went well and they lived an uneventful life they could live into their 90s.

I did find an old blog from someone. His information came out of Paleopathology at the Origins of Agriculture which is a book that is out of print. I do plan on doing more research, though. (I'm at work so it's hard today).
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    OK. I've gotta ask.

It's amazing how much can be found out by studying bones. But I'm not a forensic anthropologist so I can't answer those questions. At least not without doing some extensive research. But the reason the life expectancy was lower is they didn't have the modern day technologird and access to medicines that we have. A broken bone or a cut on the finger could mean death. There was also death in childbirth. If all went well and they lived an uneventful life they could live into their 90s.

I did find an old blog from someone. His information came out of Paleopathology at the Origins of Agriculture which is a book that is out of print. I do plan on doing more research, though. (I'm at work so it's hard today).

Adding on to the information above............

Yes, I am finding through reading of the blogs of anthropologists that most men lived to be ripe old ages, whereas the death rate of women and infants was quite high due to child birth.

The studies of the bones also finds that they were very healthy and quite large. Actually larger than humans after the onset of eating grain based diets.

I have also studies have shown that egyptian mummies found in the pyramids actually died from heart disease and these were people that had grain based diets.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    OK. I've gotta ask.

Adding on to the information above............

Yes, I am finding through reading of the blogs of anthropologists that most men lived to be ripe old ages, whereas the death rate of women and infants was quite high due to child birth.

The studies of the bones also finds that they were very healthy and quite large. Actually larger than humans after the onset of eating grain based diets.

I have also studies have shown that egyptian mummies found in the pyramids actually died from heart disease and these were people that had grain based diets.

This is very, very interesting and makes complete sense. That death from child birth and infant mortality are part of that "average age" which is just a "middle" number.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I didn't specifically have a "gut hole check". But after age 50 your doc (and children) starts hounding you to get a colonoscopy to test for colon ca so I know that part of my gut is healthy. Plus I had a laproscopic medical procedure a few years ago that would have shown something like that.

It is quite clear you either have no idea what it is (leaky gut syndrome) or you poo ppo it as a no scientific disorder. Here is a link explaining what it is. There are no “holes’ to be seen from a scope. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA361058/what-is-leaky-gut.html

It is also clear you really have no idea if you have it or not. Again education is a good thing.
  • bcattoes
    Options

It is quite clear you either have no idea what it is (leaky gut syndrome) or you poo ppo it as a no scientific disorder. Here is a link explaining what it is. There are no “holes’ to be seen from a scope. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA361058/what-is-leaky-gut.html

It is also clear you really have no idea if you have it or not. Again education is a good thing.

What I do know is that I'm healthy. I have all my regularly schedule medical tests. I have no symptoms. I feel great. I eat whole grains. Whatever they are doing to me, I like it. Why are so many people who choose Paleo so agressive and angry when others choose to eat grains?? Seriously, it's my gut.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

What I do know is that I'm healthy. I have all my regularly schedule medical tests. I have no symptoms. I feel great. I eat whole grains. Whatever they are doing to me, I like it. Why are so many people who choose Paleo so agressive and angry when others choose to eat grains?? Seriously, it's my gut.

I'm please to hear your gut is healthy and have no symptoms. I can only speak for myself and personal experience; I also had no symptoms beyond a bloated belly I thought was normal for a woman in her 50s--got me frustrated though because I ate healthy, made my own bread and baked goods, eat from the garden, and followed all the recommendations commonly seen about whole grains, dairy, veg, meatless menus etc.; haven't had a soda in decades, like dessert once in a while, but not a sugar junkie--you get the idea.

So what's with the belly bloating, and muffin top, and why did I still have acne when I'm getting wrinkles? Is it normal for an active woman to get achey joints when only 55? What will it be like when I'm 80? When I signed on here for weight loss, I had no idea I'd find a way of eating that would change my life and make such a dramatic impact on my health. Continuing to do research after the fact, I've learned that grains can affect other organs aside from the gut, cause an inflammatory response in the body, and for some people they do cause severe intestinal distress (celiac). I've also learned that some people have acquired a gene that allows for digestion of the proteins in grains, just as some people have acquired the gene to digest sugars and proteins in dairy. I didn't know grains and dairy were a problem until they were gone from my diet--the safest and most cost effective way to test for a sensitivity is an elimination diet. I already knew what beans did to me (haha!) and don't miss them at all.

Why do I get angry and aggressive? Because it's frustrating to know that people do not have to experience all the 'symptoms' we assume to be 'normal' and are actually just 'common'. I know how I feel and it's so easy by *not eating* certain foods, and we've been fed a boatload of nutritional garbage that benefits no one but corporations who pay for the content in the media and fund much of the research. I read the comments of people on here and in newspapers and magazines, who are disheartened by their poor health and weight loss results ... it's so sad to see this. And it's not necessary. I get angry because the answer is not to be found in trying a new super food or medication. It's found in the healthy vegetables, well fed meat, poultry, fish and game, some fruits and nuts, and healthy fats. Disputing the rationale for why it works (i.e., evolution, paleo evidence, etc.) diverts attention from the results.

This is just my experience and the reason 'I' get angry ...
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'm please to hear your gut is healthy and have no symptoms. I can only speak for myself and personal experience; I also had no symptoms beyond a bloated belly I thought was normal for a woman in her 50s--got me frustrated though because I ate healthy, made my own bread and baked goods, eat from the garden, and followed all the recommendations commonly seen about whole grains, dairy, veg, meatless menus etc.; haven't had a soda in decades, like dessert once in a while, but not a sugar junkie--you get the idea.

So what's with the belly bloating, and muffin top, and why did I still have acne when I'm getting wrinkles? Is it normal for an active woman to get achey joints when only 55? What will it be like when I'm 80? When I signed on here for weight loss, I had no idea I'd find a way of eating that would change my life and make such a dramatic impact on my health. Continuing to do research after the fact, I've learned that grains can affect other organs aside from the gut, cause an inflammatory response in the body, and for some people they do cause severe intestinal distress (celiac). I've also learned that some people have acquired a gene that allows for digestion of the proteins in grains, just as some people have acquired the gene to digest sugars and proteins in dairy. I didn't know grains and dairy were a problem until they were gone from my diet--the safest and most cost effective way to test for a sensitivity is an elimination diet. I already knew what beans did to me (haha!) and don't miss them at all.

Why do I get angry and aggressive? Because it's frustrating to know that people do not have to experience all the 'symptoms' we assume to be 'normal' and are actually just 'common'. I know how I feel and it's so easy by *not eating* certain foods, and we've been fed a boatload of nutritional garbage that benefits no one but corporations who pay for the content in the media and fund much of the research. I read the comments of people on here and in newspapers and magazines, who are disheartened by their poor health and weight loss results ... it's so sad to see this. And it's not necessary. I get angry because the answer is not to be found in trying a new super food or medication. It's found in the healthy vegetables, well fed meat, poultry, fish and game, some fruits and nuts, and healthy fats. Disputing the rationale for why it works (i.e., evolution, paleo evidence, etc.) diverts attention from the results.

I like that response. And I can sort of understand it, except when someone says they have no symptoms. I don't understand trying to convince someone that they have symptoms or medical problems when they tell you that they don/t. Yes, at 50 I have not yet reached menopause and so monthly I have some bloating and cramps. But we all know what that is, and it's not grain related.

I fully understand that grains, gluten specifically, is a problem for a large number of people. But it is not a problem for everyone. I've lived and eaten for half a century and I know what foods are good for me and what foods give me problems. Greasy meats are really the only thing that ever give me GI problems, so I generally avoid those.

If I really ate only for health I'd probably be vegetarian because I feel best when I eat a plant based diet. But I also eat for enjoyment and I like meat so I eat meat. The same reason I drink beer and wine. I like it.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

This is exactly how I feel about it. I am still fairly young, I've been an athlete since I was 8 and the only serious health problem I've had is tendinitis. I feel blessed to be so lucky.

Since eliminating grains and tying to keep relatively low carbohydrate consumption (50-100g) I have never felt better. I didn't realize the problems I had until I didn't have them anymore. I went through my whole life thinking that it was "normal." I'm actually pretty ticked about it, but I won't get into that. I'm just am so glad I found out when I did instead of when I'm 85 and dying of heart disease/diabetes.

All I'm trying to do is get the word out. I want everyone to be as healthy as possible. I want to tell people it's not completely their fault that they got so heavy or are having such a hard time losing weight. I'm so freaking pleased with how I feel now. That's why I did so much of my own research. That way when people laugh at me and tell me I'm killing myself, I have real hard facts to point to and say "look at that - and there is more where that came from."

What makes me angry is when people are rude to me about it. It's not like I'm trying to sell anything, I just want to help as many people as I can. I KNOW this has worked for me and I've heard/read/seen so many awesome success stories. I have spent about 80% of my free time in the past few months doing research and the more I learn, the more excited I get about it. So when someone comes along just to be a jerk, yea, it makes me pretty mad.
  • bcattoes
    Options

This is exactly how I feel about it. I am still fairly young, I've been an athlete since I was 8 and the only serious health problem I've had is tendinitis. I feel blessed to be so lucky.

Since eliminating grains and tying to keep relatively low carbohydrate consumption (50-100g) I have never felt better. I didn't realize the problems I had until I didn't have them anymore. I went through my whole life thinking that it was "normal." I'm actually pretty ticked about it, but I won't get into that. I'm just am so glad I found out when I did instead of when I'm 85 and dying of heart disease/diabetes.

All I'm trying to do is get the word out. I want everyone to be as healthy as possible. I want to tell people it's not completely their fault that they got so heavy or are having such a hard time losing weight. I'm so freaking pleased with how I feel now. That's why I did so much of my own research. That way when people laugh at me and tell me I'm killing myself, I have real hard facts to point to and say "look at that - and there is more where that came from."

What makes me angry is when people are rude to me about it. It's not like I'm trying to sell anything, I just want to help as many people as I can. I KNOW this has worked for me and I've heard/read/seen so many awesome success stories. I have spent about 80% of my free time in the past few months doing research and the more I learn, the more excited I get about it. So when someone comes along just to be a jerk, yea, it makes me pretty mad.

This post is very contradictory. You say you get angry when people tell you that you are doing something wrong and killing yourself, as a justification for doing the same to others. How then, can you be surprised if you are met with anger in return. There is no single healthy way to eat that will work for everyone. Grains work for me. If Paleo works for you, then lucky you to have found something that works. But don't try to pretend that anyone else is doing something wrong when they have a bowl of oatmeal or brown rice.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

I like that response. And I can sort of understand it, except when someone says they have no symptoms. I don't understand trying to convince someone that they have symptoms or medical problems when they tell you that they don/t. Yes, at 50 I have not yet reached menopause and so monthly I have some bloating and cramps. But we all know what that is, and it's not grain related.

I fully understand that grains, gluten specifically, is a problem for a large number of people. But it is not a problem for everyone. I've lived and eaten for half a century and I know what foods are good for me and what foods give me problems. Greasy meats are really the only thing that ever give me GI problems, so I generally avoid those.

If I really ate only for health I'd probably be vegetarian because I feel best when I eat a plant based diet. But I also eat for enjoyment and I like meat so I eat meat. The same reason I drink beer and wine. I like it.

My TOM was terrible and was getting worse as I got older - gyn said is was due to age. Severe bloating and water weight gain, severe cramps that would wake me up in the middle of the night. I lived on Midol during those times and after a couple of days the Midol would stop working. I had low back pain during this time. I had sciatica during this time. My cycle was happening every 2-3 weeks.

What's really interesting is all of this went away when I went Primal (cut out the grain carbs). The bloating went away. I no longer retain water. Cramps are faint to non-existent. I don't need Midol anymore. Low-back pain is gone for good. So is the sciatica. I've knocked 2 days off my cycle and it's regular again. So my TOM issues were grain-related. I have a small junk food binge a day or two before - that causes water retention but it goes away when the cravings do. And each month those cravings fade just a bit more.
  • bcattoes
    Options

My TOM was terrible and was getting worse as I got older - gyn said is was due to age. Severe bloating and water weight gain, severe cramps that would wake me up in the middle of the night. I lived on Midol during those times and after a couple of days the Midol would stop working. I had low back pain during this time. I had sciatica during this time.
    What's really interesting is all of this went away when I went Primal (cut out the grain carbs). The bloating went away. I no longer retain water. Cramps are faint to non-existent. I don't need Midol anymore. Low-back pain is gone for good. So is the sciatica. I have a small junk food binge a day or two before - that causes water retention but it goes away when the cravings do. And each month the cravings fade just a bit more.

I've never had anything that severe, but I'm curious if you were heavier before you started paleo? I've noticed over the years that I have more monthly symptoms when I stop exercising and pack on a few pounds (never been really heavy) and that they lessen when I'm exercising, which is pretty consistent with studies I've read.
  • cherod70
    Options
    There is much debate on this subject because the truth is a whole food diet is best but we are all different. Some people feel great eating meat and cheese all day where as others feel better with beans and rice. Some people can tollerate grains and fruits while others can't. I feel we need to take a better look at where our food comes from, if you do that it just becomes clear what is healthy. Also, if something is sold by a large corporation it is made to make them money not make us healthy.

I am not sure why some of you are being so defensive about this subject, there are no concrete answers.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am not sure why some of you are being so defensive about this subject, diet is a very personal thing.

Yeah, that is my point. I have no problem with the paleo or primal diets, or any other whole foods diet or any other low carb diet. What I have a problem with it people saying things like "whole grains are bad for you" or "legumes are poisonous". I have problems with those because they are not true.
  • cherod70
    Options
    I agree but, your examples "whole grains are bad for you" or "legumes are poisonous" can be true for some people, it's about each individual's experience.
    I am not sure why some of you are being so defensive about this subject, diet is a very personal thing.

Yeah, that is my point. I have no problem with the paleo or primal diets, or any other whole foods diet or any other low carb diet. What I have a problem with it people saying things like I have problems with those because they are not true.
    [/quote]