Getting discouraged already

Options
Hi,
A week ago I was at 162 (my highest ever and I hate it). Today I weighed in at 158.5. I weigh myself every day and pretty much this entire week I've sat smack at 158. Not budging. I've exercised every other day (with my schedule this week, that really was the best I could do) and tried to be very careful about what I ate. Not starving myself, but just conscious of what was being put in my mouth. I've been drinking lots of water, more than my 8 glasses. I'm mad about the half pound I'm up today. I'm bothered by the fact I already can't seem to get past 158 and I'm really not sure what to do. I worry I'm never going to get to my goal of 145.

Quite upset about this :( I'm trying, I really am, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Replies

• augiedad
    Options
    If you weigh every day you are going to get days when your weight goes up for no reason. Try and focus on the general pattern. Your going down so keep up the good work!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as well. Staying at the same weight for a few days straight isn't always an indication of a problem. Sometimes you don't lose weight gradually; you lose weight in whooshes and mini-stalls. That's what's been happening to me lately.

And since you're less than 15 lbs from your goal weight, the pounds may come off slow. But keep up the good work and they WILL come off eventually! :smile:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You're Doing Nothing Wrong. Weight will fluctuate daily. You're at it for a week; check back in a month, 3 months, a year and see how much you lost as you continue eating right. If you're prone to panic -- move slooowwwlly away from the scale and only weigh yourself one a week or less.
  • evafury
    evafury Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day, but I feel like if I don't, I pay less attention to how much I'm eating (which is kinda how I got myself into this situation in the first place, not weighing myself, it wasn't the only reason, but I think it was part of it). Maybe I can wean myself to every other day though, that might be a little better...
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    First of all don't weigh yourself everyday. Weigh yourself once a week only. You are doing great! Keep it up!
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight fluctuates all the time, so there may not be anything wrong! Don't get discouraged, just stay on course and dont stress (stress causes the body to hold onto bodyfat and water, causing weight gain!) and before you know it you will have reached your goal! :)
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, is it near that 'time' or have you had more sodium, etc? Those and a bunch of reasons (including water in your muscles when you work out) can affect water retention, etc... I agree with another person's post that try and use the one week weight (i.e. every Saturday morning) as the goal. Especially women, I noticed will fluctuate every day... one other thing I'm curious about is... did you fill out your profile on here and have come in around or just under what mfp suggests for calories per day? If so, then it's correct that all of sudden you may see like a 2 lb drop, etc... please don't get discouraged, as it happens to the best of us! Do some interval training - mix it up and you'll see results, no worries!! Keep up the hard work :)
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You just started a week ago and have already lost 3.5 lbs. I don't see what there is to be discouraged about. Keep exercising and eating right and don't weigh yourself every day. Also, my weight fluctuates by as much as 4 lbs in a given day. When you do weigh yourself, do it at the same time (first thing in the morning and naked ;).
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong. Your weight is gonna fluctuate everyday and throughout the day. I have been up/down as much as 5lbs in 1 day. If weighing yourself everyday is overly frustrating then try to limit to once per week. I weigh everyday just because I am curious and want to see how certain foods and workout routines sit with me, BUT I only count weigh-ins and only take to heart weigh-ins once a week, on Thursday mornings. So many things affect the scale and our bodies do interesting things at times. If you are new to this it will take a bit for your body to adjust to new eating and exercise habits and will probably retain some water weight in the process. Don't get discouraged, just keep working at it one day at a time...don't focus on the scale...and while its fine to check the scale every day or multi times a day, only concentrate on what the scale says once a week or every other week.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    measure. take your measurements & you'll probably be surprised. You're losing inches if not pounds
  • chubswonky
    Options
    Ignore that. My scale doesn't even have a .___ for the weight. Your body will fluctuate every day- sometimes by a pound or two. You've lost almost four pounds in a week...that's really, really good and any more than that would NOT be good. You have to tell yourself that you didn't gain your weight over the course of a week so you're not going to lose it all in the course of a week either.
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day too and see that same thing, except for mine is sometimes 3 lb higher, i used to beat myself up but i stopped once i realized that in some days, certain meal would weigh me down (pasta and rice tend to do it for me) but once they're out of my system, the # is down and i feel great physically.
    Hell, when aunt flo is in town, she comes with 4-5lb even when i know im eating right and exercising. Overall, keep in mind that you're doing this not just for a number on the scale but also to feel great and be healthier.

If the number bothers you that much, try weighing once a week, ive tried but just cant, its ok though, i dont let the # on the scale affect my mood so i keep on track :)
    dont get discouraged!!
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Also.. I need to ask a silly question.. how do you get your ticker to attach at the bottom of your post? I tried and all I saw was the actual link! Not too computer savvy here I guess... thanks!!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    DON'T GET DOWN!!!! Your body is amazing...it finds a way to handle whatever we throw at it. My advice to you is keep your body off guard. Do something different, keep it guessing.

Increase your calories one day, decrease the next (don't always stay at target calories, your body learns how to function on less)
    Do a different exercise (if you walk, try an walk/run interval. or take a bike ride, or an exercise video)
    Eat different meals and at different times of the day.

mix it up a little.

And don't worry, it happens to ALL of us. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in about once every 10 days, as i find it way more encouraging to see those scales go down. Try and forget about scales, get yourself into a good eating routine instead, and focus on other things. Try only going on the scales once a week. If you dont have a great deal to lose, it also takes longer to lose it too. I only have about 10lbs to go now, and find my weight loss has really levelled out now, but my inch loss has increased, and i prefer this as it means my horrible old fat is changing into lean muscle. Keep at it and it will come rite in the end ;-)
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every morning now. I bought my first scale ever when I started this diet. I only log my official weight once a week, though, every Sunday. I swear, sometimes that scale goes up and down all week and makes me anxious, but on the actual log day, it will be down!!! I goes up and down, but now that I have been tracking it officially once a week for more than 3 months, the general trend is clearly down. Just keep steadily logging and trying and you should have similar results. This program sets you up for a slow and steady weight loss.
  • KareyMarie
    KareyMarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and I get frustrated, too (but I try to turn that frustration into motivation). I've found that I usually stay the same weight on the scale (or go up slightly) for a week and a half and then it FINALLY drops 2- 2 1/2 lbs. Then it stays at that weight for another week or two and then the scale moves again (finally!).

Just hang in there. Doing the right thing and not seeing the scale move right away is still better than giving up and seeing it go up even more.

It sometimes takes time for your body to finally see that you're serious about this and that what you're doing is going to be the norm. Try not to stress out too much (although I completely know how you feel!).

Good luck!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and have for the last 9 months. I need the daily ritual in order to stay focused. You'll get used to it eventually...the scale staying the same for a week or more, or even going up a little after you've gone down a couple of pounds. I stayed the same for the entire month of July, which forced me to look closely at how I was eating. When I decided to cut out 100 cals a day, the scale went down 4 lbs in one week. Then I didn't lose again for 2 weeks. Up, down, all around, but the weight eventually comes off if you're eating properly. Stay strong, keep your eyes on the prize.
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You are doing everything right. I was stuck at a certain weight for almost a whole month, then the numbers dropped. Then again in August, I was stuck at the same weight for almost the whole month, then the numbers dropped. Just keep eating right and working out and you will transform yourself into a healthier version of YOU. Keep it up! You are doing fine.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    A week ago I was at 162 (my highest ever and I hate it). Today I weighed in at 158.5. I weigh myself every day and pretty much this entire week I've sat smack at 158. Not budging. I've exercised every other day (with my schedule this week, that really was the best I could do) and tried to be very careful about what I ate. Not starving myself, but just conscious of what was being put in my mouth. I've been drinking lots of water, more than my 8 glasses. I'm mad about the half pound I'm up today. I'm bothered by the fact I already can't seem to get past 158 and I'm really not sure what to do. I worry I'm never going to get to my goal of 145.

Quite upset about this :( I'm trying, I really am, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Wait a minute. You lost 3.5 pounds in a week, then another .5 lbs in a couple days? And you're upset about that? That is great progress - in fact, it's probably the most you'll ever lose in one week. Weight comes off much faster in the beginning and comes off much slower as you get closer to your goal.

You should be very proud of your progress and try to be patient! The weight wasn't gained overnight, and it won't be lost overnight either. Stick with it, and happy losing! :flowerforyou: