VLCD

Options
Hi

I have been a yo-yo dieter for the last 2 years.. Had some success on a very low calorie diet (Cambridge Sole Source) and then got cocky and took it too far. I'd have 1 shake every couple of days instead of 4 shakes daily. I know I have done my metabolism some damage over the last couple of years, didn't get me far as when I started eating again I didn't had much control. Wanting to do weight loss through calorie control and exercise, I joined here, but struggling with injuries from exercising and it is getting me down. I don't seem to be doing very good with my diet.

Having bored you with that! Is there someone here that is really knowledgable in VLCDiets? I am seriously thinking of doing it again just for a few weeks, but in the right way this time - taking all the shakes I am suppose to, or more if I am desperate. On here I've read a lot of comments about the 1200 cal limit that you should not go under. Is it the amount of nutrients in these diets that stop you from going in starvation mode? Are there people here who has done vlcd with good success, and kept the weight off?

So desperate just for a few pounds off, but just don't seem to get my head and body working together on this!

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have done the VLCD before. My sincere advice is the ONLY way to properly do a VLCD is under a doctor's supervision with a doctor trained in VLCDs. You should be seeing the doctor face to face at least once a week and have blood work done. In addition, reputable doctors follow this appt with a weekly group class that not only talks you through the VLCD, but also gives you tools to eat healthy after you go off the diet. In addition, most reputable places have on going classes for those that have completed the program and are maintaining to ensure you keep a healthy lifestyle and don't gain it back.

Without all that in place, I would not recommend a VLCD to anyone.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi,

So sorry to hear you're feeling discouraged -- but don't fret too much. Your goal (losing 16kg) is most definitely attainable without having to do anything drastic! Those injuries will heal, and there are plenty of exercises you can do in the meantime. Check youtube or google for "sitting" or "no impact" exercises. Building the HABIT of exercise is actually more important than the particular exercise you're doing right now.

Taking a quick look at your diary, my suggestion is to increase the amount of fruits, vegetables, and non-processed foods. It looks to me like you're eating just a few things, but they are high calorie things like cheeses and hot dogs. The more unprocessed stuff you eat, the more STUFF you'll be able to eat, and you won't feel hungry or like you're "suffering through a diet".

Check out this link if you haven't already, to learn more about why VLCD's make it so much more difficult to lose weight:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

You can DEFINITELY do this, and you don't need to punish your body with a very low calorie diet. Best wishes!