Pasta

Options
Evening everyone,

Just a quick question, when counting 100grams of pasta, do I weigh that as the cooked or raw weight?

Thanks x

Replies

• fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything cooked, but that's just me. I don't know how it's supposed to be done or if it matters.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    look on the box. Almost every package i have bought has said uncooked
  • alohabrie
    Options
    Pasta is usually weighed dry. It absorbes mucho water - so weighing it after won't give you much at all!
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the uncooked weight. If you are cooking for more than yourself, I usually cook mine in its own little sauce pan so I know what is mine and I don't over estimate when serving it.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything cooked, but that's just me. I don't know how it's supposed to be done or if it matters.

It really DOES matter.

COOKED is NOT correct.

Pasta is ALWAYS weighed DRY unless the label says cooked which only happens if it's stuffed, usually.

Think of it this way: if I cook my pasta al dente, and you slightly overcook yours, mine weighs less than yours since it's absorbed less water. And water has no calories.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Lovely job, thanks all! I'll weigh it raw :) x
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    the label always reflects the DRY weight. And (after experimenting alot) usually the 2ounces/56grams on the box after cooking will be equal to a loosely filled 1 cup measure.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    The pasta im using states 'Typical Value 100g cooked as directed'. Do you think the nutrtional values stated are for 100g cooked weight then?

Thanks x
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    FFS Sazzle! This again?

Yes it's for cooked if it says cooked. It will also have the dry weight and nutrition on the box too
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Any more questions though, just ask, you know I'm only kidding
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    I just need reassurance dude lol. This is Asda pasta, they are such pikeys they dont give you the raw weight. *kitten*.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Just think how much easier this would all be if you just gave up rice and pasta?
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Neveeeeerrrrrr! i love my carbs too much to give that up.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Don't you dare slag off Asda! I know you love them as much as I do!

I'm going tonight I think. Need eggs, and Tescos didn't sell lamps. Or light cheestrings. At least they do total 0% now.

Which asda pasta is it?
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Seriously, anyone would think I sponcer Asda, green and white everywhere! Smartprice FTW! I'm off there tonight too after dinner.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You weight everything RAW. If you weight it cooked you are adding water to the weight and then cheating yourself out of the amount. Same with meat. If you weight the meat after it’s been cooked it will weigh less, and you will eat more calories than what is intended.
    BTW.. have you ever tried Spaghetti Squash? It is delicious and a healthy alternative to pasta :love:
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Spaghetti squash?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I've just looked at my pasta and you speaketh the truth. I've not seen it like that before, part of the chosen you range... I like it when you check the nutrition and SP version is better AND cheaper! Not a lot, but I do, and it happens often.

So yeah, cook it as described, weigh your portion, log it hoping the Asda one is already in the database (and correct).

On a related topic, I was trying to log quinoa, and people have ballsed up both the dry weight with cooked nutrition, and the cooked with dry, and alsorts in between. Always make sure you know roughly what it should be and don't blindly follow the database.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Got to love the Smart Price eh! Luckly whats on the data base is right for the cooked weight. Nom nom nom. Roll on dinner time.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Spaghetti, made with squash, which according to wiki is americano for marrow. Which is strange, because I thought squashes where yellow and marrows were green? Maybe different varieties or degrees of ripening?