Biggest meal of the day

Options
kistinbee
kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
I have a question. Right now my biggest meal of the day is usually lunch. Is that normal?
Here's a typical food plan for me:
6:30 am-oatmeal, diet fruit juice
8:00 am-2 cups coffee with sugar-free creamer
10:00 am-granola bar and piece of fruit
12:00 pm-cottage cheese, celery stick with PB, yogurt, 2 sesame crackers
2:00 pm-piece of fruit and pretzels or 2 rice cakes
5:00 pm-small salad or steamed veggies with chicken, turkey or fish
6:30 pm-workout at the gym
9:00 pm-1 cup skim milk with 1 scoop whey protein

Now some of these things change. I don't eat the same thing for lunch every day and dinner varies as well. I just started incorporating the whey protein into my diet...it's good for my muscles. But, does this food plan seem okay? I'm just wanting some other opinions. This puts me around 1200 calories. Some days, especially on the weekends when I put in a hard core workout, I will eat more, but this is the usual, at least during the work week. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Here's my workout schedule:

Mon-1.5-2 hours cardio
Tues-half hour cardio, 1 hour weights, 1 hour yoga
Wed-1.5-2 hours cardio (sometimes 1 hour spinning)
Thurs-1 hour cardio, 1 hour weights
Fri-1.5-2 hours cardio
Sat-1 hour spinning, 1 hour weights
Sun-rest, sometimes some lighter cardio plus cleaning and laundry around the house

Let me know what you all think! Thanks so much!

*Kistinbee*

Replies

• kistinbee
    Options
    I have a question. Right now my biggest meal of the day is usually lunch. Is that normal?
    Here's a typical food plan for me:
    6:30 am-oatmeal, diet fruit juice
    8:00 am-2 cups coffee with sugar-free creamer
    10:00 am-granola bar and piece of fruit
    12:00 pm-cottage cheese, celery stick with PB, yogurt, 2 sesame crackers
    2:00 pm-piece of fruit and pretzels or 2 rice cakes
    5:00 pm-small salad or steamed veggies with chicken, turkey or fish
    6:30 pm-workout at the gym
    9:00 pm-1 cup skim milk with 1 scoop whey protein

Now some of these things change. I don't eat the same thing for lunch every day and dinner varies as well. I just started incorporating the whey protein into my diet...it's good for my muscles. But, does this food plan seem okay? I'm just wanting some other opinions. This puts me around 1200 calories. Some days, especially on the weekends when I put in a hard core workout, I will eat more, but this is the usual, at least during the work week. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Here's my workout schedule:

Mon-1.5-2 hours cardio
    Tues-half hour cardio, 1 hour weights, 1 hour yoga
    Wed-1.5-2 hours cardio (sometimes 1 hour spinning)
    Thurs-1 hour cardio, 1 hour weights
    Fri-1.5-2 hours cardio
    Sat-1 hour spinning, 1 hour weights
    Sun-rest, sometimes some lighter cardio plus cleaning and laundry around the house

Let me know what you all think! Thanks so much!

*Kistinbee*
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal of the day is supper! My lightest is lunch and I have lost weight that way but was it a healthy loss?

6:00 1c shredded wheat w/ 1/2 c skim milk and a banana and a coffee w/ 2 tablp half and half
    9:30 apple and coffee w/ half and half
    12:00 medium side salad w/ basalmic vinegretter
    3:00 another snack it varies
    6:00 3-4 0z meat 1cup veggies 1 cup brown rice or 1/2 a potato

I use low fat half and half and if I have any calories left over I have something for dessert like sugar free jello or pudding. I don't go to bed until 10:30 or so. The times and the food vary but I'm counting more exercise now. I didn't use to count my 2 hours of school bus driving as exercise. I have been maintaining 1200 cal a day and have lost quite a bit doing it that way but I read songbyrdsweet's thread about undereating and I have changed my goals to losing a pound a week instead of 2 because I haven't done enough research and I don't want to harm my health. We'll see how it works.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Thanks!:bigsmile:
    *Kistinbee*
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes it is fine to have your biggest meal of the day at lunch.
    I do not agree with the biggest meal of the day being breakfast thing. I can not eat that much in the morning without feeling ill afterwards.
    My biggest meal is normally dinner. And after dinner I work out. I still lose weight, and I feel fine.
    so I do not think it matters.
    VERY much the same way that there are Morning people and Night people, I AM A NIGHT PEOPLE!
    and so is my dog. Try getting him to get up in the morning is not easy. He just lays there in a ball, I have to Pick him up and put him outside and then when he comes in gets his cookie it is straight to bed again. But at NIGHT he is all play.
    Michael’s dog is the complete opposite. Morning dog, So much so that we call him the alarm dog, he wakes us up every morning at 5:00AM ready to go.
    I think it is the same with us humans, So if you feel better eating at lunch more then in the AM or PM, I do not see a problem with it as long as you get your calories in for the day!
    :smile:
    --Diann...
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating healthy, not exceeding, or seriously undereating your calories, it doesn't matter when you eat them. Your body is built to burn fuel. If you eat on a regular basis, regardless of when, you will keep it in burning mode. If you are comfortable with the way you are eating your meals and you are eating a variety of foods and keeping your calories and energy where you want them you should be fine.
    Cowboy
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Thank you guys! This makes me feel better. I never really worried about it, but then I got to thinking. But, this helps! I won't worry about it any more! Thanks!

*Kistinbee*
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You're working out for 2 hours a day and eating 1200 calories a day? How much do you weigh? Have you calculated your BMR? And yes, do the whey protein...it looks like you have about 50g of protein without it.