this is such a stupid question.. but i have to ask.

Options
okay, i am already kinda giggling to myself as i am asking this because it seems like SUCH a stupid question. but, what the heck.. i gotta ask.

okay. so i am eating a gala apple.

apples gala medium = 80 calories.

NOOOOOWWW. are we talking 80 calories alll together? like core.. seeds and all that nonsense too. or just yummy part?

i am still gonna log the 80 calories in, because it's not a big amount.

but.. it got me thinking lol

any ideas on this?

Replies

• marquesajen
    Options
    I would to know too! I ate some pears today, but not that center bit.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    ive always wondered the same thing actually
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure its just the yummy bit.
  • smithdnj
    Options
    You don't eat the core or the seeds so I highly doubt that would include them
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Since most people don't eat the core and stem, I think it is safe to assume that the calories only include what the majority of people consider to be the edible portion.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you want to be REALLY precise, put it on your food scale before you eat and when you're done. Subtract the second from the first, and then enter it as grams or ounces, however it is in the database. That's a lot of work for a little apple though. :)
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    I would say the entire weight of it, so the whole thing. I picture scientists taking the apple and grinding it up and then analizing the calories in their little machines. Then taking the calories for their sample and muliplying them by the weight of the total apple.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think we can safely guess it's the part that people actually eat.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that for the most part, your food and exercise journals are primarily conservative estimates as to your individual lifestyle.

If you're too focused on every single calorie consumed or burned, you're going about this the wrong way.

What's more important, is to look at your journals as a whole, over the course of several days, or even weeks. Look for patterns where you could make different choices towards a healthier lifestyle, the kind of foods you're eating, and noting where there might be excess or deficiencies.

That's the real trick to making long-term changes and results!

Cheers!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would say the entire weight of it, so the whole thing. I picture scientists taking the apple and grinding it up and then analizing the calories in their little machines. Then taking the calories for their sample and muliplying them by the weight of the total apple.

I just have to say - if that's your cat, I want him/her.
  • MaddieMii
    MaddieMii Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's just the good edible part. :)
  • statia152
    Options
    LOL I also wonder about bananas, weigh with or without the skin? Corn on the cob? If 100 g of corn is 93 cals, how does corn on the cob (large 320 g before eating, 265 g after eating) equal 120 cals? I know its all an estimate, but those are big differences that add up.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    It's just the good edible part. :)

Totally off topic but you look just like the lady on Bones!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Some people eat the whole apple, core and all. There probably aren't enough calories in the core to worry about it. It's all an estimation.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    How long are you chewing? And in what time zone?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. I've never thought of that before. not a stupid question though
  • donbet69
    Options
    Do not forget to add 4.6 calories if you eat the skin/peel.
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale so I actually cut it up and weight what I'm eating. BTW not all apples weight the same and 99% of the times my fruit weights more than what I can find on MFP, so I adjust to that. I do the same with nectarines, peaches and pears. The only reason I do that is to just educate myself about portions and sizes, but I'm not going crazy weighing everything. I have lost 9 pounds since I started MFP and I'm convinced that the reason I didn't lose weight before is because I didn't keep track of the calories.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Are you chewing through the coating of the seeds?

Because if you don't the amount of calories within them won't count as the seeds will pass through your digestive system undamaged.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    How long are you chewing? And in what time zone?

Bite > swallow; in the North Pole.