My first 5K coming up

Options
I have my first 5K race this Monday for Labor Day. I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me-- work outs leading up to the race, what to eat, anything special to do right before or after? Basically any tips about anything! Thanks for helping out a newbie! :-)

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself at the start would be the best advice I could give from what I already know. It can be all too easy to get caught up with everyone taking off quickly and tire yourself too fast. I would stick with lighter carbs and protein before hand and lean protein during/after. Congrats on doing this, take pictures! :bigsmile:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If it's in the morning, I like to make sure that I've been awake and moving around enough to get my bodily processes moving before the race. Nothing worse than your body wanting to, well... poop in the middle of a race.

Other than that, HAVE FUN!
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    Hydrate! Good luck! I ran my first 5k this year, and loved it!
  • janiecorona
    Options
    I'm trying to run a 5K too! I'm barely up to a mile without stopping and that kills me. My race isn't until February, so I have plenty of time to work up to it. Good luck! Just don't start off too fast.(:
  • mothernature30
    Options
    make sure you stay hydrated during the race. I agree with killagb and make sure you pace yourself. I did my second one this and made the mistake of starting out too fast. I wasn't doing so well close to the end. Good luck and have fun!!
  • outersoul
    Options
    Find someone that you can keep pace with. Let the faster runners go by you. Don't get caught up in the mad dash at the beginning.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. I'm not a runner and I don't pretend to be one either. :wink: Don't worry about what others around you are doing, just set your own pace and stick with it.
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

For an update on how it went:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/335419-i-crushed-it