The Marginally Motivated Club

Options
This has been a tough summer to remain healthy. I just don't wanna.

I'd like to paint a picture of long-term weight loss and maintenance becoming easier... of faking it until you make it... of eventually healthful behaviors becoming second nature. Perhaps that is true for some people, it isn't for me.

This marks year 6 of my path to stop hurtling myself towards death and beginning to live.

It still isn't easy. It still isn't second nature. In fact, lately, my slip ups on choosing healthy over unhealthy have become a frightening trend.

I am feeling like a petulant child. Despite my best efforts to turn my negative self-talk of “I HAVE to eat well and exercise” into a positive attitude of “I WANT to eat well and exercise”, I just don’t wanna. I would like all the benefits but not have to be inconvenienced or do any of the WORK.

Backwards, yes. I’m marginally motivated to do something different than I have been for the last 2 months of being lazy and off-track. But just marginally. So I’m trying to put together strategies I can implement this month to bring BACK change.

What ideas do you have? Ever been in a rut and had trouble getting back out of it?

I think my number one goal needs to be to clean the house of trashy, unnatural snack foods. Somehow, they've crept back into my cabinets. (Ok, not somehow. I went out and bought every crappy, delicious, unnatural, sweetened morsel) I'm very luck to have amazing support at home - they'll eat whatever I bring into the house. So I don't fault anyone but myself. But alas, the problem remains: I just don't wanna work.

Open to ideas. Mentally arming myself to put into place and implement healthy this weekend. But some days.... some months... it just sucks.

Replies

• phedre87
    Options
    It's a great idea to just get rid of that food and try to not buy anymore...It can be hard though...I have a hard time being motivated to exercise myself...one other thing you could try is if you feel like you're absolutely going to indulge try and pick less processed sweets or dark chocolate or something that you can feel a little better about lapsing for.
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    I might be kind of a nub, but I think if you've lost 252 lbs, you've kind of already won!

I hear you though...I tell myself I want to. But when I'd rather sit my *kitten* on the couch and watch crappy television instead of doing something good for myself while tossing back a few beers and potato chips, I have to ask myself, how bad do you want this, REALLY?
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You have come so far and done so well! And it's so hard.... How about a picture on the mirror or fridge of where you were and don't want to be again? I'm glad you posted this because I am slacking lately and wondering how to stay motivated too. This helps me think about it and maybe someone else will have some awesome ideas. :glasses:
  • Melthridides
    Options
    I so totally understand. So far--and granted it's only been a week--MFP is keeping me more or less on track. If I want to weigh less next week than this week, I can eat X calories--if I X exercise for Y minutes I can eat X more calories. How's that for motivation to exercise? :) I'm not looking to radically change my life; I just want to start making better choices, to get my calorie intake lower than my calorie output.

One thing that helps me the most is by refusing to call it a diet. I do not do the D word. I use MFP to keep track of it, and so far I'm treating it like a game. It's not really real; it's just an App on my phone, ya know?

Stick with me and we can be not-quite-motivated together! :)
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This definatly describes me lately... I want to lose weight and eat right and excersize but then again I don't! I really just wanna lose the weight and not have to work at it :P of course that's impossible and anything worth while isn't easy... I get disappointed when after a week I only see 1 or 2 lbs lost when really I should b happy I'm still shrinking even if it is very slowly lol but I do also need a kick in the pants when it comes to my working out... I just don't do it enough in my opinion...
  • MissKash
    Options
    I have been there more often than I would like to admit. This month, I am trying to refocus. I joined a fitness challenge to encourage me to be more active. I am making a point of journaling my calories for the sake of accountability, but Im not being super strict on what I eat. Im adding in more fruits and veggies and more water. I have eliminated nothing. Basically, Im making small changes to create a healthier lifestyle. Stay tuned.... We will see how this works out.
  • MissKash
    Options
    . sorry, my computer froze up and i pushed the reply button more than once.
  • MissKash
    Options