Too Much Calcium?

Options
I noticed that I'm WAYYYYY over my calcium intake for the today (and every other day)... Does anyone know if having too much calcium is bad for you??

Replies

• StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Google... LOL

I am not sure if too much calcium is bad for you. I'd say that anything in excess is not good.

I would google it and see what you come up with. = )
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    May cause some kidney stones, if you are really WAYYYYYYYY over, but for women especially, i don't believe it's a major issue. The dangerous ones are vitamin A and iron, as your body stores them, and they can build up to toxic levels. Most other vitamins and minerals, your body uses what it needs, and sends any excess on its way. Purely a non-medical opinion tho. Check with your Dr. if you are really concerned.
  • loubulou2209
    Options
    I watched a documentary not that long ago that said that a decent level of low fat dairy, and therefore calcium actually stops you absorbing so much fat so I would have thought it was a good thing providing you don't go too far over.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You have to eat quite a lot of calcium for it to be harmful to health - unless you have kidney disease.

Upper limit for calcium should be around 2000 - 2500 mg (depends on your age) so unless you're eating close to or more than that, I probably wouldn't worry, unless you have specific health issues that make high calcium intake risky.