cutting fat - BODY BUILDERS

Options
I'm fine with my size & my weight at this point, I just really would like to start cutting fat but retaining as much muscle as possible. I need some advice... maybe from body builders? about what kinds of food to eat/ proportions.

Am I doomed to only eat chicken breast and salad? HELP?

Replies

• Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Tuna, tofu, chicken of course, eggs, find a good protein shake, beans.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with my size & my weight at this point, I just really would like to start cutting fat but retaining as much muscle as possible. I need some advice... maybe from body builders? about what kinds of food to eat/ proportions.

Eat whatever you want but hit at least 35%protein. Snack on protein during the morning hours and eat your carbs with protein at night. Use one day a week to eat above maintenance calories and eat lots of carbs on this day.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Checkout the Anabolic Diet link in my signature. This diet lifestyle was written by a doctor that was also a championship bodybuilder. If not, I recommend searching for articles by John Berardi and / or Shelby Starnes.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Olympia huh?
    I used to bounce at the Vault there about 2 years ago.
    Miss the Big O..great eclectic town
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ok so you want to remain the same weight but cut the fat? Its not only about what you eat, you need to train more with heavier weights, and its impossible to not loose weight as long as you are on a calorie deficit.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Eat some squats!

Seriously though, you should start doing weight training and upping your protein intake %. You can have more carbs on your workout days to replace your glycogen stores. On your rest days try to stay low carb. Don't work out consecutive days if you can help it and you should be able to hold onto your muscles and maybe even gain a few pounds (no, you won't look muscular if you're on a calorie deficit) while losing fat.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The timing of this topic is perfect for me. I"m very close to my goal weight and this is my plan once I reach it as well. I'll still have some fat that I want to loose (looking for that elusive 6-pack that's currently hiding behind the keg) but I also want to start bulking up a bit too.

So far I've gone in and changed my goals to bump my protein goal to 30% of my calories (dropping my carbs down to accomodate). I've added protein drinks to my regular intake. Based on advice I found here, I went with Gold Standard 100% Whey. It has relatively low calories and sodium per serving but still a good deal of protein content (24g per scoop).

Chicken, Fish, Turkey all appear to be great sources of very lean low calorie protein. I'm also investigating tofu, although I'm not sure I can bring myself to eating it. I've also looked at adding more nuts and beans to my diet. Both Black and Pinto have pretty solid protein quantities. Yogurt, Eggs and Cottage cheese are helpful too, although both the beans and Cottage Cheese are a bit higher in sodium so you have to be careful.
  • alyssamiller77
    Options

Eat whatever you want but hit at least 35%protein. Snack on protein during the morning hours and eat your carbs with protein at night. Use one day a week to eat above maintenance calories and eat lots of carbs on this day.

That link is no longer available. Any chance you know the title or could find it somewhere else and share a link? I'd be very interested.
  • JNick77
    Options

My link?

That link is no longer available. Any chance you know the title or could find it somewhere else and share a link? I'd be very interested.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Smartphones are pretty dumb actually...

My link?
  • alyssamiller77
    Options
    Yeah your link, but I think I found it. A 112 page PDF by Dr. Mauro DiPasquale.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Good article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-for-athletes-part-3.html

Parts 1 and 2 are also worth reading.
  • kurofenrir
    kurofenrir Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Haha there's a little bit more than chicken and salads. You can find low fat cuts of almost any meat these days. You could always check out michi's ladder too. http://www.teambeachbody.com/en_US/eat-smart/michis-ladder
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @kurofenrir You've been bumping posts that are years old. A few from last summer, this one from 2011. Just letting you know you might want to check the date of the post.