What to Eat Now (Time Magazine)

Options
Time Magazine published an interesting article by Dr. Oz. this week. I can't find a link to it (at least right now), but I recommend getting your hands on it. Whether you like him or not, I think he makes some interesting points, especially concerning all the fad diets out there (low-fat, low-carb, Paleo, Atkins, blah blah)

"The Hard Truth:...It's still true that to maintain a healthy weight, calories consumed must equal calories burned. Tip that balance one way and you drop poiunds; tip it the other way and you gain. Period. Paragraph."

Replies

• SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That is so basic its just amazing that people don't realize it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Time Magazine published an interesting article by Dr. Oz. this week. I can't find a link to it (at least right now), but I recommend getting your hands on it. Whether you like him or not, I think he makes some interesting points, especially concerning all the fad diets out there (low-fat, low-carb, Paleo, Atkins, blah blah)

"The Hard Truth:...It's still true that to maintain a healthy weight, calories consumed must equal calories burned. Tip that balance one way and you drop poiunds; tip it the other way and you gain. Period. Paragraph."

Read the book Why we get fat and what to do about it......................It proves time and time again through multiple studies, that calories in, calories out myth / theory is not true and does not work.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Read the book Why we get fat and what to do about it......................It proves time and time again through multiple studies, that calories in, calories out myth / theory is not true and does not work.

Well, I might have misrepresented Oz by only sharing that quote. The next few paragraphs continue on by saying that the food choices you make effect your appetite immensely, making weight loss or gain more likely. I shared that one because I always found "diets" to be ridiculous.

The article does try to debunk some other myths and suggests healthier foods with vitamin and anti-oxidant powers--and the limits to those foods.
  • Aesilus
    Options
    You really ought to avoid making general comments without doing the research yourself. Le Fanu and others have conclusively demonstrated that the fat/cholesterol/heart disease pathway is a flawed argument. And the c in/ c out line of reasoning is just as bad. It is amazing how many falsehoods permeate our "thinking," if you could even call it that. Oz is a know-it-all, a carnival show. If the fat/heart theory was so accurate, why are so many people getting fat?
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I like Oz and I think he's right it always goes back to the basics. Thanks I will get the magazine for the article appreciate you sharing. :smile: