MFP Clothing Exchange???

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
So, I'm sure many of you are in the same boat I am - lost some weight - clothes are too big, but you don't want to spend the money to buy new ones, only to have to get rid of them again in a few months.

Sooooo.....What I'm wondering is this - is there a way that we could arrange some kind of clothing exchange????? I'd be happy to send off all my stuff that doesn't fit but is still in good condition to someone that's just passing through the sizes that I've already been through. And would hope to be able to find someone that would be willing to do the same for their old "fat" clothes, too.... I dunno - am I a dreamer??? Or could this work???

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You'd have to determine what "good condition" is:)
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of too big size 8 clothes

problem is, once I get rid of them I'll be naked!
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this for a while and actually just cleaned out my closet last night. Lots of stuff size 18-22 that I could contribute if something was arranged. I would love to participate!
  • msstillion79
    Options
    :smile: Yeah i think that that is the first thing youd have to decide is what is "good" condition and then I wouldnt see a proably in it It actually sounds like a great idea. Let me know
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Jen i was thinking the same............ but also adding working kit, weights, etc................ a bit like ebay
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in April and have lost 70 pounds, so this is right up my ally! I've been buying clothes, just to get rid of them a few weeks later because they're too big.

Currently, I wear a size 18 pants but can sometimes fit a 16; and a Large in shirts, sometimes a medium. I have a few pairs of 18 and 20 jeans that are too big and some XL shirts, if anyone is interested
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think this works better as a local thing. Perhaps get your friends together... or make a meetup.com event?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this too...Ive gone from an 18/20 to a 10/12(more so 10) and have been pretty much just giving my clothes away...thank God I don't pay full price for them! :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'll take some 14s if anybody's got em - I got 18s & 16s in exchange some 2x
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think this works better as a local thing. Perhaps get your friends together... or make a meetup.com event?
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't know that I'd want to get a bunch of clothes from someone who has a completely different style than I do. You should try to meet some people in your area who are on MFP and then have a "hand me down" party. Everyone puts out what they have to exchange and can pick from what other people have to offer. That way you really only get what you want and the rest can all be donated to charity.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    In theory it's great - but the practicalities need considering.

This is an international site, so are you prepared to pay postage across the world? Sizing is different in various countries, so that would have to be clear. And while you might give away your stuff, there's no guarantee you'd be able to get some in return.
  • ehlertmartha
    Options
    So, I'm sure many of you are in the same boat I am - lost some weight - clothes are too big, but you don't want to spend the money to buy new ones, only to have to get rid of them again in a few months.

Sooooo.....What I'm wondering is this - is there a way that we could arrange some kind of clothing exchange????? I'd be happy to send off all my stuff that doesn't fit but is still in good condition to someone that's just passing through the sizes that I've already been through. And would hope to be able to find someone that would be willing to do the same for their old "fat" clothes, too.... I dunno - am I a dreamer??? Or could this work???
    [/quote

This could work just have to arrange i, i have been thinking the same thing
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I have some Gap size 8-ankle (aka SHORT) jeans that are not stretchy, boot cut, classic wash.
    Gap size 6-ankle/short with stretch, boot cut dark wash.

Both are like new. I've worn them like once maybe twice each in total. They're not low-rise, they're mid-rise, and I don't like how they look on me. I'll take pics if you're seriously interested. Send me a message - I won't check this thread again for replies. You pay shipping.
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    What you would need to take photos of your clothes and then ask for swap....make sure you see a photo of the clothes before you agree.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I think it's an awesome idea, but I don't have anything I could hand off at this time.

I'm still in the beginning stages on my weight loss with lots still left to lose. I have a few pairs of 34 and 32 jeans that are in good condition and some shirts, but that's about it.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't know that I'd want to get a bunch of clothes from someone who has a completely different style than I do. You should try to meet some people in your area who are on MFP and then have a "hand me down" party. Everyone puts out what they have to exchange and can pick from what other people have to offer. That way you really only get what you want and the rest can all be donated to charity.

anybody from NY wanna have a hand me down party?? =)
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    We do that locally and it's called a "Naked Lady Party" :)

I actually gave my old clothes to someone who started the journey after me who is in a support group and told her to pass them on to the ladies in her group when she was done with them ... since I was on the cutting edge in my parts and no one had clothes my smaller sizes.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    We do that locally and it's called a "Naked Lady Party" :)

I actually gave my old clothes to someone who started the journey after me who is in a support group and told her to pass them on to the ladies in her group when she was done with them ... since I was on the cutting edge in my parts and no one had clothes my smaller sizes.
    forget the clothes, I wanna know how you got those cut arms? ;)