Fibre supplements - advice please

Options
Hi everyone,

I'd be interested in opinions on the best sources of fibre supplements. There seems to be differing thoughts on whether both soluble and insoluble fibre sources should be included to boost fibre intake. I had read it was advisable to take both so I've been adding psylium and natural bran to my protein shake. The reason I'm questioning it now is my doctor advised the psylium was a good idea but advised against the bran - with no real convincing argument though ;-)

Love to know your thoughts..........thanks

Replies

• kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    Not that this will be much help but from experience with taking fiber supplements in the past-

I have taken Fibercon pills and have also used the powder Benefiber. I prefer the Benefiber. I would add it to water and it did not change the taste what-so-ever. You can also add it to foods, shakes, etc. and you can't even tell it's in it.

I also know from expereince and the fact that it's a fact (lol), you have got to drink A LOT OF WATER while taking fiber supplments. Fiber is activated by water and if you don't drink plenty of water while taking fiber it will sit in your stomach like a brick and cause constipation.

Also, I don't eat them cause I'm a pickey eater but I have learned that all your fiber is in green leafy foods.

Good luck. HTH!
  • mrsmotherof3
    mrsmotherof3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found this information in a recent article. I hope it helps.
    1. Read Labels
    Take a moment to compare fiber counts whenever you are purchasing groceries. The fiber content in breads and cereals can vary widely, generally ranging from one gram (4% RDA) to 10 grams (40% RDA). Buy the product with the higher count. Next, read the ingredient list. Many products advertise that they are made of “whole grain,” but if the first word on the list is not “whole,” then the fiber count is likely to be low. Last, see if the product contains bran. Although bran is a good source of dietary fiber, many people find it to be a digestive system irritant. Carefully assess your reaction to bran before using it a source of fiber.
    2. Go Green...
    And orange, red and white for that matter. My physician is from Lebanon and she makes the point that although Americans eat a fair amount of vegetables, they tend to eat the same ones -- broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. Vegetables are a wonderful source of fiber. The more the variety, the better the mix of soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which help to keep stool firm, yet soft. This encourages a better rhythm of elimination. Branch out and explore vegetables like artichokes, kale, chard, collards, and the many types of beans. Vegetable soups are an excellent way to experience new types of vegetables in a familiar way.
    3. Switch to Spring Mix
    The typical American salad of a hunk of iceberg lettuce with a few shavings of carrots and a couple of sliced tomatoes is a bit of a fiber wasteland. Changes in food packaging have made the luxury of a salad mix an affordable option. In addition to containing more fiber than iceberg lettuce, a spring mix of lettuces and other leafy greens again offers a more natural mix of soluble and insoluble fiber.
    4. Have Fruit With Every Meal
    Think beyond having half a grapefruit with breakfast. Like you will be doing with vegetables, go for variety in type and color when it comes to choosing fruit. Experiment with a tropical fruit salad of mango, papaya, kiwi, and pineapple. Mix frozen berries in with your cereal or smoothie. Dried fruit is an easy, delicious and portable snack. Cook up some pears or apples as a side dish with dinner, or as a delectable dessert.
    5. Grind Some Flaxseed
    Flaxseed are those beautiful little caramel-colored seeds from the flax plant. When ground, flaxseed provides a wonderful mix of soluble and insoluble fiber. It is also an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which appear to be helpful in reducing inflammation. All you need is a small coffee grinder and a few seconds to grind up some flaxseed. Flaxseed has a pleasant, nutty flavor which tastes great when sprinkled over cereal. Ground flaxseed can also be added to baked goods and smoothies, adding fiber without affecting taste. It is important to drink a glass of water when eating flaxseed. Water swells and softens the ground seeds, a process that adds bulk and softness to the stool and therefore offers the potential to be helpful for both diarrhea and constipation problems.
  • carloP90X
    Options
    Benefiber for me. I use use one heaping tablespoon mixed in my protein drink.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    My doctor just HIGHLY recommended psyllium- However, you MUST make SURE you drink ADEQUATE WATER
    along w/ it- or it can REALLY mess you up
    and CAUSE blockages.

It's also wonderful for keeping your cholesterol (the BAD kind) swept away.

Try this experiment. Put a little in a glass of water and watch what happens.
    THAT VISUAL will serve as a GOOD REMINDER of WHY it's NOT OPTIONAL to skip the water afterwards.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I use benefiber as well. I make crystal light, and just add it. I would talk to someone with degrees and full knowledge of nutrition for any "real" advice. I know Dr's have a broad spectrum of knowledge, and sometimes nutrition isn't their number 1 area. I would recommend talking to a registered dietitian. There are a couple of people on here that are going to school for that...so they know.
  • HunniBunniLisy
    HunniBunniLisy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :happy: Lots of great advice from you all.

Cheers