UGH.... how do I avoid drinking

Options
It's my friends birthday and her man rented the VIP at a local club.

First I am way to old to be going clubing.
Second the only way I am not going to be totally lame is to drink because I dont really want to go to a club

I dont want to drink because I should weigh in tomorrow and I am cutting it close with only a few calories left. And todays choices were not the greatest.

Would it be really wrong for me to bale on my friend?

Replies

• pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just drink and workout tomorrow and make better choices tomorrow!
    Whenever I know i am going to drink, I eat low calorie and workout that day for some wiggle room.
    Have fun!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Would you be mad if she bailed on you just because "she didn't feel like it"?

I imagine so. Go, have a drink or two, alternate between water/some clear liquid and people will be none the wiser.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    ask for ice water with lemon and volunteer to be a designated driver
  • bethann81
    Options
    If I were you, I'd go and have just 1 or 2 drinks. That way you don't bail on your friend, but you're not going overboard on the alcohol. I stick to Bardardi and Diet Coke. (I think they're around 60 calories a piece)
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Can't you party like a rock star with Shirley Temples?

I know what you mean though, I hate being around drinking/drunks if I'm not one of them. And they'll always say, "Oh, you don't have to drink, just come hang out!" But nobody sober who could be drunk wants to hang out with drunks.

That's why nobody ever wants to be the designated driver.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's way more important to be there for your friend than to be under your calories. So you have a rough weigh in this week - you get back on track tomorrow and do better next week!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ask for ice water with lemon and volunteer to be a designated driver

This would work.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    How much are you planning on drinking?
    If it's not a lot, you can just eat a bit less food earlier on tomorrow and keep track of calories.
    Otherwise, you should limit your intake of fat & carbs (virtually zero). Eat protein ad libidum.

Ideally, you should drink hard liquor and mixers without many calories instead of beer.
    If you are a beer drinker, you can get some intense exercise done before heading off to the club.

Have fun and weigh yourself the morning after too, you might be surprised :)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would have to drink. I tend to be low on cash often and usually drink water the whole time if my friends invite me out. I still have a great time...in fact it's actually really fun to be the sober one around drunkies! You can act silly and crazy with them and actually remember it! So I say...go out! Drink a couple if you want...but don't feel ridiculous just drinking water either. If your friends judge you for that I have to question if they are really your friends.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't go and have a good time without drinking? Everyone understands watching calories right?

Just as you will choose NOT to eat a giant 750-calorie piece of crappy store-bought, crisco-frosting birthday cake, choose not to drink a 450 pint of beer. easy.

NEVER drink your hard-earned calories, and never waste them on things that taste bad. They are too valuable.

blessings.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I order seltzer and lime if I am not drinking. It looks like a drink and I can nurse it all night.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Everytime I say "I'll be good" the night before a weigh in, I blow it and end up regretting it... even if you can work it off in a few days, a weigh-in smack dab in the middle of a weekend and LOSING is the BEST feeling.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You cant stop living life - and spending time with your friends because of your new healthy lifestyle (well I suppose you can if you choose to .....), but it is much better to plan a little bit for it....

Have a couple of low cal drinks - like suggested above - my go-to drink is a spritzer - half white wine / half club soda - and even a few ice cubes to water it down a bit more - I can "nurse" a glass for a good 30 minutes.

And seeing that you are going to a club I suspect there will be some dancing - so go shake your booty lady and burn off those few calories....

Going forward plan for these type of occasions by getting some exercise in before you go...

Go and have a wonderful time - the scale will still be there tomorrow and the next day - as long as these type of things are an exception it does not make any difference in the bif scheme of things!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Go and drink diet soda or water. If they are your friends they will understand your needs.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It's my friends birthday and her man rented the VIP at a local club.

First I am way to old to be going clubing.
    Second the only way I am not going to be totally lame is to drink because I dont really want to go to a club

I dont want to drink because I should weigh in tomorrow and I am cutting it close with only a few calories left. And todays choices were not the greatest.

Would it be really wrong for me to bale on my friend?

I'm a total lightweight, so I don't drink when I go out, because I am usually driving by myself or shooting photographs for events...no one ever hassles me about not drinking. If my friends did that, I'd think they were really jerks :) It should be about the time you spend together, not the alcohol ;)

Have a Shirley Temple or seltzer or other nonalcoholic "drink" if you feel like you need to have a drink in your hand to fit in...if you choose to drink, have a couple and drink lots of water. And be aware that it could affect your weigh in, so don't be too hard on yourself.
  • misslouisee
    misslouisee Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd go and have just 1 or 2 drinks. That way you don't bail on your friend, but you're not going overboard on the alcohol. I stick to Bardardi and Diet Coke. (I think they're around 60 calories a piece)

I'd recommend this because you can have diet coke sometimes on its own inbetween alcoholic drinks and nobody will know any different!!
    I would definitely go.
    1) because it's your friend and you should go for her.
    2) because a diet shouldn't be about locking yourself away and having no fun
    and 3) because if you cannot learn to incorporate healthy living and choices into everyday things like eating out and friends birthdays then you have little chance of keeping the weight off afterwards. Think of this as a learning exercise for your new healthy lifestyle.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't go and have a good time without drinking? Everyone understands watching calories right?

Just as you will choose NOT to eat a giant 750-calorie piece of crappy store-bought, crisco-frosting birthday cake, choose not to drink a 450 pint of beer. easy.

NEVER drink your hard-earned calories, and never waste them on things that taste bad. They are too valuable.

blessings.

The description of the cake made me nauseous! I had calories and dancing to do the other night and I had diet coke with Malibu and water. Registered 2.2# weight loss this morning!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Club soda and lime! Diet coke! Don't drink tonic water - it has just as many cals as soda.

And if you want to drink drink, just stick to super light beers, diet coke w/vodka, and alternate alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic. Drink lots of water before, and try to ration as many cals as you can during the day for your fun night out :)
  • travaly
    travaly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to go to her party and wish her happy birthday. Life is not going to stop just because you are trying to lose weight. If it's not a birthday then it will be a wedding reception or a Holiday party and on and on. You need to realize that life goes on but yours may not if you don't do something to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle.
    The key to going to places/parties where there are alcoholic drinks is kind of simple- always have a glass of diet sprite (low cal drink) in your hand. Don't plan on staying the whole time. The longer you stay the more chances are that you will get persuaded to drink or have others buy you drinks (those are really hard to turn down). Alcohol have a lot of calories and they make you retain water and if that weren't bad enough, they make you lose your inhibition (will power) to say no to alot of things including more drinks. LOL :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can always say you have like a 7 am run planned with another friend and you don't want to show up all hungover. Have one drink early, then go with water