My Experience with Water

Options
Has anybody else found that drinking more water made them hungry? I know that sounds totally strange, but for me, it seems to be true.
I normally drink 72-88 oz per day, and I'm usually hungry every 2 or 3 hours, and I'm going to the bathroom about every 2-3 hours.

Today, I've only had about 32 oz of water (bad, I know), but I haven't been hungry. This isn't a one-time deal, either. The less water I drink, the less hungry I am...

Do you know why this might be?
And has this happened to anybody else?

Replies

• naina2006
    Options
    for me it is the more i drink the less hungry i get..... try to drink a glass of water before meal and glass after meal.....drink a lot of water ...ur skin will look good 2 =D
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Usually drinking lots of water makes you feel full and satisfies hunger cravings. I find that's true for me.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    The more water I drink the less hungry I am. I would take a look at the food you are eating.. processed carbs tend to burn up quicker causing hunger more frequently.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I ate the same thing for breakfast today as I do any other day... normally I'm good for 3 hours, today I went 9 hours without eating anything again.
  • yoghurtand
    Options
    I have never found that drinking water makes me any less hungry except very temporarily. If I am hungry at all, drinking lots of water will bloat me for about 10mins and then I will be ravenous. Maybe it's to do with the expansion of your stomach from the copious amounts of water? Maybe your body isn't getting enough food so objects to being given water instead of food? It's all very strange; I have no clue.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think I'm kind of the same way. If I drink tons of water, it goes through me ridiculously quickly. I need to use the restroom constantly. I think maybe the hunger part comes in because if you are drinking so much water, you are filling up your stomach with volume, even though it's not food. A smaller stomach won't get hunger pangs as often as a more stretched out one... Does this make sense?
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think I'm kind of the same way. If I drink tons of water, it goes through me ridiculously quickly. I need to use the restroom constantly. I think maybe the hunger part comes in because if you are drinking so much water, you are filling up your stomach with volume, even though it's not food. A smaller stomach won't get hunger pangs as often as a more stretched out one... Does this make sense?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    You might be diluting your electrolytes too much. Contrary to what a lot of people say, you actually need some salts in your system. So the hunger might be your body's way of asking for more salts.
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You might be diluting your electrolytes too much. Contrary to what a lot of people say, you actually need some salts in your system. So the hunger might be your body's way of asking for more salts.
    I was thinking the same thing! Make sure you don't drink so much that you "drown" yourself. You might be flushing all the salts and electrolytes out and it makes sense to me that doing that would make you hungry because your body is trying to get those nutrients back.
  • alexwalper
    Options
    I definitely feel entirely starving if I drink a lot of water... If I stick to 8-10 cups, I don't get as hungry. If I barely go past that, which I often do at work due to boredom, I start wanting to eat everything!
    The dilution idea makes sense.. Good to know!