Watch out for Norovirus

Options
Just a friendly heads up.

I had what I thought was food poisoning just after Christmas for about 2-3 days. It was horrendous - thought I would die and then was afraid I would live.. :grumble: :grumble:

I just read in our local paper that the Norovirus (aka Norwalk virus) is making the rounds. I live in Southeast CT. The virus causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, and can take 24-60 hours to clear. Really, really not a good time.

To avoid: stay away from others who may be sick and be careful who you share food with. It is spread person to person and by contaminated food.

Stay healthy all.. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

jb

Replies

• janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Just a friendly heads up.

I had what I thought was food poisoning just after Christmas for about 2-3 days. It was horrendous - thought I would die and then was afraid I would live.. :grumble: :grumble:

I just read in our local paper that the Norovirus (aka Norwalk virus) is making the rounds. I live in Southeast CT. The virus causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, and can take 24-60 hours to clear. Really, really not a good time.

To avoid: stay away from others who may be sick and be careful who you share food with. It is spread person to person and by contaminated food.

Stay healthy all.. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

jb
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    wowwwwww. i serioulsy had that. whether or not it was that actual virus i was so sick a couple days ago. i finally now feel better. it started at like 1am :( i felt sick all day. luckiely i had my boyfriend take care of me who thankfully did not get sick. but it went all around my family. I hate being sick. especially on a school vacation :(
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I had this a few months ago, it was horrendous - on the bright side, I lost 6lbs with it - although, not the way I'd like :ohwell: :grumble:
    I would advise the use of alcohol gels - should you come in contact with anyone carrying the virus :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    alcohol gels will not prevent Norovirus. Frequent and thorough hand washing with soap and water are what will.
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Norovirus is NOT airborne. It CANNOT be transmitted merely by standing next to someone who has it, sneezing, saliva, urine, or blood. The virus DOES exist in vomit and feces only and is spread when someone who is sick has virus particles on their hands because they did not wash them after using the toilet or after vomiting and then touches a surface. That surface then becomes contaminated.

It is unclear exactly how long the norovirus lives on surfaces but according to the CDC, the virus may still live in someone’s feces up to 2 weeks after the symptoms of norovirus have subsided which means, they can still spread it after they are feeling better and after they returned to work or school.

What’s the best way to prevent getting Norovirus?

Wash your hands with plain soap and water after using the bathroom and before eating meals or touching your face. Make sure you wash every nook and cranny of your hands for at least 20 seconds. Plain soap does not kill anything but it washes the germs off of your hands and down the drain. Yes, it’s that easy. Good personal hygiene.

Hand Sanitizers
    Washing your hands is the best defense but if you’re traveling, at the gym, or soap and water are unavailable; hand sanitizers are the second best method of preventing norovirus. Before going out and stocking up on Purell or any other product that labels themselves as an anti-bacterial claiming to kill 99.99% of germs, listen up!

Most of these gels, wipes, sprays or foams have alcohol based ingredients such as triclosan, ethanol, or ethy alcohol. While these products will kill 99.99% of the bacterias, they DO NOT kill viruses, nor do they claim to. Other issues with these ingredients is that alcohol based products are drying and there are safety concerns about using triclosan.

Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride kill norovirus!

Products with either of the above active ingredients WILL kill norovirus in addition to all of the bacterias Purell claims to kill. You can also find these ingredients in household cleaning products such as Lysol. Wet Ones brand wipes have Benzethonium Chloride as the active ingredient and it’s widely available in most stores.

If someone in your household is sick, clean the bathroom with a disinfectant and any other place they may have congregated in including door knobs and light switches. Keep them home from work or school until they are feeling completely better, usually a couple of days. One of the main reasons norovirus spreads in offices is because those struck with it, don’t want to take the time off from their jobs.