cheating?

Options
So, I've got sort of a stupid question.. I work at a hair salon as an assistant so I am CONSTANTLY on the move, running around the place. Usually I am so exhausted from work, that I don't have time to 'actually' exercise when I get home- but I know I've burned a ton of calories thru-out the day. Is it cheating if I log those calories as 'cleaning'? I'm usually on my feet for about 8 hours straight, and my body sure feels it, but I guess it's not legit exercise, eh?

Replies

• minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    nope. because im sure youre burning calories.
    i work at a super fast paced restaurant. and im running around lifting 40 lb boxes of **** cooking. then cleaning. taking orders, restocking. im always always moving lifting and running around.

and im sure i burn some calories doing that for 8 hrs.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    there is a setting where you put how active you are during the day, that way its already logged.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of life style you listed... if you said you were sedentary I would say that logging some of those calories would be a good idea. If you said you were active I don't think you should count them... but that's just MHO!
  • honeyb7
    Options
    Can you get one of those pedometers to track your miles? It may help to see how many steps you take each day! 10,000 is supposed to be a really healthy amount. I think you should def log this time!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What is your 'lifestyle set as'? Sounds like you should be "Active" so it's already accounting for all your activity.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I would change your activity level on this website to accommodate the calories you are burning during work. For me, I only count true exercise (or cleaning beyond my normal, daily stuff) as "exercise". I work on my feet and while I am there - I am in constant motion. I have my activity level set higher since I AM burning more calories, but my body is used to my job. I am not exerting it while at work because it is familiar. My heart rate isn't up, I'm not sweating, etc. Sure, it is a calorie burn - but it is a daily one.

Change your activity level and don't count those calories as exercise. :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    slap a heartrate monitor on for a day and it'll give you an idea what you burn a day.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think you would just be sabotaging yourself in the end if you do..
  • jmeirow
    jmeirow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try "working out" before work. I live 42 miles from work (1 hour each way) and am work for at least 9 hours, usually 10 hours. I get up at 4:45 AM to get to the gym by 5:45 AM. I work out for 30-45 minutes, shower and then drive the rest of the way to work. It's doable, and you'll feel great when you get to work. By working out on an eliptical machine or treadmill, you can get a fairly accurate calorie reading so you're not left "guesstimating" how many calories you burn during the day on your feet. You can look at the time on your feet at work as "gravy" or "icing on the cake" (how come all of these sayings involve food?) in other words, "an extra added bonus for weight-loss opportunity".

Hope this helps.
  • peachlow
    Options
    If you purchase a HRM and calculate your burn while at work...it's not cheating....some people jobs are more physical than others...

Good luck:bigsmile:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It could be "cheating" depending on your settings in "Diet Profile."

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

If you selected "Active," you've already accounted for those calories. If you selected sedentary, then you should enter them as exercise calories.