Ounces in a chicken breast

Options

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Look at the number of ounces in the packages, and the number of breasts.... That's what I do.

hahah Brilliant, Wattson!

Seriously though, just buy a scale. You don't need an expensive one.
  • adamgottlob
    adamgottlob Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I never found a way to measure this accurately if the breast has bones. The database (and packaging) is unclear if the weight includes the bones or not. I guess I should weigh the thing before and after eating and then subtract...
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Gotta get a food scale. I got mine at Walmart for like $12. I thought I was eating 4oz chicken breasts. Turns out, I was eating anywhere from 7oz to 10oz. That is a BIG calorie difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How many oz. are in an average skinless/boneless chicken breast? (I don't have a food scale) When I log a chicken breast the automatic serving size says 4 oz. rather than one fillet, but a tilapia fillet logs in at 3 oz. My chicken serving is way larger than my tilapia serving. Should I just log the chicken as 8 oz. to be on the safe side?

A serving size IS 4 oz...your average breast is going to vary substantially. The ones I get are usually right around 8 oz and I by organic chicken. When I bought regular chicken, it wasn't unusual to have a 10 oz breast.

Really, you should invest a marginal sum of money for a food scale. They're not that expensive.
    I never found a way to measure this accurately if the breast has bones. The database (and packaging) is unclear if the weight includes the bones or not. I guess I should weigh the thing before and after eating and then subtract...

A serving of chicken breast MEAT is 4 oz. If your package says serving is 4 oz, it's talking about the meat.
  • adamgottlob
    Options
    A serving of chicken breast MEAT is 4 oz. If your package says serving is 4 oz, it's talking about the meat.

The problem was if package weighed (for example) 40 oz and had 4 pieces, I didn't know if each piece was 10 oz of meat, or less than that. I also couldn't find an MFP entry that helped either, did the weight of "chicken w/ bone" include the bone.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

The problem was if package weighed (for example) 40 oz and had 4 pieces, I didn't know if each piece was 10 oz of meat, or less than that. I also couldn't find an MFP entry that helped either, did the weight of "chicken w/ bone" include the bone.
    unless you plan on eating the bone, no. it's 4 oz of chicken meat, not bone.
  • adamgottlob
    Options
    I don't want to belabor the point, but that's the problem. If I have a chicken that weighs 10oz with the bone, neither MFP nor the package indicate if the weights they are giving also include the bone, or do I have to subtract the bone weight prior to entering. Or maybe bones aren't that heavy and I'm splitting hairs.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I don't want to belabor the point, but that's the problem. If I have a chicken that weighs 10oz with the bone, neither MFP nor the package indicate if the weights they are giving also include the bone, or do I have to subtract the bone weight prior to entering. Or maybe bones aren't that heavy and I'm splitting hairs.
    you really just have a few options.
    1. log it as 10 oz and just know you overestimated.
    2. weigh the bone.
    3. buy boneless chicken.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    How many oz. are in an average skinless/boneless chicken breast? (I don't have a food scale) When I log a chicken breast the automatic serving size says 4 oz. rather than one fillet, but a tilapia fillet logs in at 3 oz. My chicken serving is way larger than my tilapia serving. Should I just log the chicken as 8 oz. to be on the safe side?

All depends on the size of the chicken.

Can you not get yourself a food scale, there would be no guessing then?
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    iTStaRTsN0W Posts: 106
    Options
    If you get the perfect portion from perdue they are about 140cals, if you just buy a big pack from walmart you NEED a food scale.

I eat chicken breast everyday, and everyday the size varies. Even though I just take out 1 breast and cut it up, some are bigger then others!
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can eyeball breast size, but I'd need to see 'em.

I do that too.... :bigsmile:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    "Eyeballing" serving sizes is how I gained back a lot of weight when I got off Weight Watchers years ago. If you can't afford to buy a decent scale, second hand shop for one. It doesn't have to be all that sophisticated. But the poster above who said you could get one for about ten bucks is dead on. They are literally that cheap.
  • brandylynnnichols
    Options
    I agree with what the others are saying about buying a scale, but if you're out some where and don't have a scale handy, 1oz is about the size of a Mc Donalds chicken nugget.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Portion size is for the edible portion only. You don't eat the bone, the bone is not included in the nutritional information.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Some chicken breasts are half a breast. Some chickens are much larger than others. If you go by average, could be off by 100%.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Scales are really cheap, worse case scenario snag one in the dollar store. But they are not all that pricey at .walmart...target...kmart....for 10 bucks or so you can get a serious peace of mind.

Piece I got at grocery yesterday for lunch, baked already, came in at 8.8 oz on my digital scale (with skin & bones). When I buy raw they have varied from 3 oz up to 6 oz (boneless, skinless).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For now, guesstimate. No one can tell you better than you because you have the chicken. Then buy a food scale. They are $12-$30 and you can find them everywhere - Amazon, Target, K-Mart, Wal-Mart...
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I get the Tyson Boneless Skinless chicken breast and they normally range from 4-6oz on my food scale! And those are 110 calories for 4 oz.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can eyeball breast size, but I'd need to see 'em.

http://instantrimshot.com

Thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only one. lol
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    If you really can't weigh a good simple way to get an idea is to convert the packaged weight to ounces then divide by the number of breasts to get the average weight of one. Obviously some of the pieces are usually smaller/larger than others but since you'll either be estimating up or down this should work out fine over the course of several meals as far as calories go.