Smaller meals; more snacks.

I just came to a conclusion about one of the main problems I have. I like to eat frequently throughout the day. I need to start eating smaller meals and having more snacks. Are any of you like this as well? If so, how many calories do you allow each meal to be and how many snacks do you have per day? Also, what are some of your favorite snacks? :) Thanks, guys!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    bump
  • yesss! before i started this i'd eat constantly, so small meals with snacks in between are natural for me. i usually try to stay under 300 calories, and snacks are 60 (string cheese) to 150 (almonds) calories. i eat snacks whenever i'm hungry. i'm hoping it will help shrink my stomach too :D

you can look at my food diary if you'd like- for snacks i pretty much eat almonds, celery, celery with cream cheese, string cheese, or a hardboiled egg,m and will be eating edamame when i find some that doesn't taste like crap :P
  • My favorite snacks right now is jello, pudding or any type of fruit. Especially chocolate pudding bc I love chocolate in general so I just eat a lil to get my chocolate fix.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    It depends what kind of snack are we talking about?! If you talking about chips or sugary junk foods you might gain weight or not loose anymore.
  • This is me- I eat 5-6 meals a day and 250-300 at each one. it's amazing how much you can fit in that level. Or, try the 1500 cal-a-day cook book. 350 cal meals x 3, and 2-3 200 cal snacks. If I do eat a larger meal then I skip one of the snacks. Not so bad at all.
  • DKBelle
    Bump, like your snacks!

yesss! before i started this i'd eat constantly, so small meals with snacks in between are natural for me. i usually try to stay under 300 calories, and snacks are 60 (string cheese) to 150 (almonds) calories. i eat snacks whenever i'm hungry. i'm hoping it will help shrink my stomach too :D

you can look at my food diary if you'd like- for snacks i pretty much eat almonds, celery, celery with cream cheese, string cheese, or a hardboiled egg,m and will be eating edamame when i find some that doesn't taste like crap :P
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    It depends what kind of snack are we talking about?! If you talking about chips or sugary junk foods you might gain weight or not loose anymore.

Why would I be talking about those kind of snacks? I'm trying to lose weight.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    My favorite snacks right now is jello, pudding or any type of fruit. Especially chocolate pudding bc I love chocolate in general so I just eat a lil to get my chocolate fix.

Yum, I love the sugarfree pudding. :)
  • HollyTsiaussis
    This is me- I eat 5-6 meals a day and 250-300 at each one. it's amazing how much you can fit in that level. Or, try the 1500 cal-a-day cook book. 350 cal meals x 3, and 2-3 200 cal snacks. If I do eat a larger meal then I skip one of the snacks. Not so bad at all.

Thanks!
  • HollyTsiaussis
    yesss! before i started this i'd eat constantly, so small meals with snacks in between are natural for me. i usually try to stay under 300 calories, and snacks are 60 (string cheese) to 150 (almonds) calories. i eat snacks whenever i'm hungry. i'm hoping it will help shrink my stomach too :D

Sounds good. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I'm pregnant right now so I get about 2000 calories. My three meals are about 500 cals each and my snacks are 200-300. When I was trying to lose weight I was eating around 1500-1600 cals a day plus I'd eat my 500-600 exercise cals. So, I supposed my meals and snacks were about the same as they are now.
  • DKBelle
    For me snacks means those things :) sorry english not my native language I might have misunderstood you . What I usually eat is fruits, string cheese,yogurt or make out of oat meal the following:No-bake cocoa balls Ingredients: 100 gr dates 80 gr oats 40 gr raisins 30 gr mixed nuts 2 heaped tbsp organic cocoa powder 1 tsp cinnamon Mix all ingredients in a blender. Optional: add some 100% pure raw cacao nibs Add (while blending) some water or organic applejuice (appr. 70 ml) for a sticky consistency. Take out small heaps with a tablespoon and roll balls with your hands. Roll in shredded coconut. Store in the fridge in an open container (so any excessive moisture can escape) for at least an hour.

Hope it helps.

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    My diet is pretty healthy so my snacks were usually a protein shake after my workout, some yogurt with fruit and granola, an apple with peanut butter, cheese and crackers, some almonds or walnuts and dried cranberries, carrots and celery with a little ranch, things like that.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    I've had the same issue. I too feel hungry more often, which if you think about it is a good thing. It means your metabolism is working how it should therefore burning more accurately. Anyhow, I'm still trying to get a hold on the snack thing. I like the Kellogg's Mixed Berry Fruit snacks (80 calories), Orville Redenbacher's white tender popcorn (40 calories per cup I think), and any of the 100 calorie snack packs. The popcorn is a nice snack because you can eat more of it without the issue of going over on calories.

As far as meals, I've heard making breakfast your largest meal, lunch being slightly smaller, and dinner being the smallest is the best formula to follow. Also add snacks in between obviously. I'm still working on that concept seeing as how I enjoy working out in the morning and having a large meal in my belly doesn't go so well with too much activity.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    I'm pregnant right now so I get about 2000 calories. My three meals are about 500 cals each and my snacks are 200-300. When I was trying to lose weight I was eating around 1500-1600 cals a day plus I'd eat my 500-600 exercise cals. So, I supposed my meals and snacks were about the same as they are now.

Gotcha. Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • HollyTsiaussis
    My diet is pretty healthy so my snacks were usually a protein shake after my workout, some yogurt with fruit and granola, an apple with peanut butter, cheese and crackers, some almonds or walnuts and dried cranberries, carrots and celery with a little ranch, things like that.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. <3
    For me snacks means those things :) sorry english not my native language I might have misunderstood you . What I usually eat is fruits, string cheese,yogurt or make out of oat meal the following:No-bake cocoa balls Ingredients: 100 gr dates 80 gr oats 40 gr raisins 30 gr mixed nuts 2 heaped tbsp organic cocoa powder 1 tsp cinnamon Mix all ingredients in a blender. Optional: add some 100% pure raw cacao nibs Add (while blending) some water or organic applejuice (appr. 70 ml) for a sticky consistency. Take out small heaps with a tablespoon and roll balls with your hands. Roll in shredded coconut. Store in the fridge in an open container (so any excessive moisture can escape) for at least an hour.

Hope it helps.

• I've been looking to getting into this habit. I get so busy with things that I forget to eat and when I do it now it's one serving in about 2-3 meals a day and a smaller portion. I'm rarely hungry. I also need to start eating breakfast. I go shopping in a few days so I'll make sure I have food for 3 small meals and 2-3 snacks. But, I realized that at night when I'm getting ready for bed or watching a movie I like to snack. I think it's best when I eat small meals stocked away in the fridge in zip lock bags, that way I can stretch out my calories a day and munch away without going over them. This is a great way, and it gives you energy.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    I've had the same issue. I too feel hungry more often, which if you think about it is a good thing. It means your metabolism is working how it should therefore burning more accurately. Anyhow, I'm still trying to get a hold on the snack thing. I like the Kellogg's Mixed Berry Fruit snacks (80 calories), Orville Redenbacher's white tender popcorn (40 calories per cup I think), and any of the 100 calorie snack packs. The popcorn is a nice snack because you can eat more of it without the issue of going over on calories.

As far as meals, I've heard making breakfast your largest meal, lunch being slightly smaller, and dinner being the smallest is the best formula to follow. Also add snacks in between obviously. I'm still working on that concept seeing as how I enjoy working out in the morning and having a large meal in my belly doesn't go so well with too much activity.

Thanks!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    I'm always happier when I'm having a bunch of small meals and snacks :) I have found I actually tend to eat MORE throughout the day when I separate things into larger meals.