Personal Training dilema

I need some advice from gym using MFP’ers, especially those with personal training experience. I got serious about exercise about a month ago. I joined a gym and I like it there. They offer some special features that really appeal to me and with the exception of this training issue I think the gym is a good fit for me. I started out with cardio only. At first I could only do 12 minutes..yes 12 minutes how sad. Now I am up to 60 minutes 3-4 days a week. When I joined I signed up for personal training right away. It was $200 for ten 30 minute sessions per month. You had to sign a one year commitment. I knew this was costly but I was convinced this was the best way to get started so I signed up for everything, changed into my work out clothes and that’s when things started to not go well. I had reviewed my personal goals/medical issues with the sales manager but he passed me off to a trainer and the trainer had no time to review my information even if he wanted to. He put me on the tread mill for warm up. After the 12 minutes I was seriously ready collapse and that was just the warm up. The trainer had me using kettle bells for lunges and swats. Remember..I had absolutely no fitness level at this time. He had me doing 2 reps of 20 after that 12 minute walk. After about 15 minutes I became really ill. I wasn’t doing things that were hard they were hard enough to throw my very overweight body into a shock. The trainer had no clue that I was diabetic. I went home feeling dizzy, nauseous, and feeling horrible. I had three days to cancel out of the personal training contract and I took advantage of that option and canceled it. The gym manager was fine with canceling that portion of the contract, the training manager didn’t really want to discuss it, and he just left it at the desk and walked away from me. It was clear to me that I was just a sale (or no longer a sale) and there was no interest in my personal health even though my termination letter did say that once I upped my cardio and had some level of fitness I would definitely reconsider incorporating the training services.
Since my initial experience I’ve felt awkward when the training manager walks by or the trainer that trained me the one day for 15 minutes. There was a female trainer who came into the bathroom to check on me when I was getting sick but I was so disoriented that I’m not sure which one she was. I usually go to the gym at off hours because of my work schedule and that also works out well because I am uncomfortable working out in a crowded gym with my body as it is. I don't really know anyone at the gym so I pick my cardio equipment in the corner or work out in a special dark movie theatre style cardio area and then bolt for the door to leave. I now am ready to kick up my work outs a bit and appropriately introduce strength training but I am uncomfortable with re-interacting with the training manager because of my experience. I do feel very comfortable with the gym owner. I asked her if I could pay for 3 sessions in cash to see how I made out before committing for a year and was told that was not an option. They counter offered with an option to let me sign the contract with a two week out clause instead of the standard three days. I didn't like this option because it put me in a spot where I had to again cancel a contract if I wasn’t happy. I also felt like there was a chance that the first two weeks could go great and after that the service level could change and I would be stuck for 50 weeks. There is a lack of trust on my part right now. If their service is good I don’t understand why I can’t just pay $200.00 a month and continue to do so as long as we are making progress. I know that I can print out work outs from the internet but that won’t help me with determining what is safe (I have a sciatic nerve issue on one side of my body) . My glutes are a main area that I need to focus on and doing this alone could lead to me hurting myself, then again doing this with a person who hasn’t reviewed my file or has no training could also lead to me hurting myself. I also feel that printing out a plan won’t help to correct my form and from I have read using the correct form is a huge part of making the training a success.
I think this sums up my dilemma. I have tried to think of other options. It’s against gym policy to bring in an outside trainer. Although it would be awkward and inappropriate I thought about asking a member that appears to know what they are doing if they would be willing to help me figure out a plan if I paid them or covered their membership fee? I thought about posting on craigslist to see if there are any trainers that already go to my gym that might be interested in working out with me there? I can't officially bring a trainer in with me, but of course you can get workout assistance from anyone in the club. Do I try one of these options, propose another solution to the gym and training managers, or just bite the bullet and sign the contract hoping that I am not tossing my $2,400 in the trash?
Sorry for the long post. I’ve just been struggling with how to handle this and I got a little caught up in writing this all out. Suggestions, advice, comments would be greatly appreciated. Even if you think I’ve done something wrong I can handle it..just be nice about it please.

Thank you.

Replies

• The service you are getting at the gym is deplorable. My first suggestion would be to shop around and drop the gym. However, living in BFE myself, I understand if there are not a whole lot of options. Your letter is very articulate. My other suggestion would be to send it to the owner of your current gym and see if they can't muster up some minimal customer service. Best of luck, you are on a fantastic journey. Worst case scenario, go it alone with input from your doctor, and be who you want to be. :)
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    I recommend crunch time, its a book by Michelle bridges that has moves outlined and describes with pictures how to do them. Its a set workout and goes for 12 weeks.....Maybe try that? 2400 is alot to waste and id say source another workout plan. At my gym you can pay 69 bucks for a hour session with a trainer or 149 for 3 sessions. I had the same sorta issue, a guy took my measurements and he was awkward avoided eye contact and havnt seen or heard from him since....anyone would want to get someone into action and see how they are going.....
    Couch to 5 kms thats a treadmill activity you could do? I stick to what i do and not what they said for me to do, it was useless unles you get a nice trainer.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    imo, you need to get those C-Suckers to listen to you...you are the customer!

i know if i would get poor service i would remind them in this day and age of social networking a bad name goes a long way now...honestly, i really dont think you need a personal trainer...you said yourself you were only doing 12min, and now your doing 60...that is a huge accomplishment in itself!

i would do your own research on the net, its there...you just have to find it. also the biggest tool at your disposal is MFP.
  • The service you are getting at the gym is deplorable. My first suggestion would be to shop around and drop the gym. However, living in BFE myself, I understand if there are not a whole lot of options. Your letter is very articulate. My other suggestion would be to send it to the owner of your current gym and see if they can't muster up some minimal customer service. Best of luck, you are on a fantastic journey. Worst case scenario, go it alone with input from your doctor, and be who you want to be. :)

I am now stuck in the gym contract for a 11 more months. I am ok with the gym part..its just figure out how to get the assistance with the strength training that I struggle with. I live in an area where there are a lot of gyms. I am hoping to be in a maintence mode by next year instead of where I am now. My doctor recommended I get the help of a trainer, but one that has some training and that is focused on helping me with my goals. I'm working to be who I want ot be with or without this help..its just hard. Thanks for the note.
  • I recommend crunch time, its a book by Michelle bridges that has moves outlined and describes with pictures how to do them. Its a set workout and goes for 12 weeks.....Maybe try that? 2400 is alot to waste and id say source another workout plan. At my gym you can pay 69 bucks for a hour session with a trainer or 149 for 3 sessions. I had the same sorta issue, a guy took my measurements and he was awkward avoided eye contact and havnt seen or heard from him since....anyone would want to get someone into action and see how they are going.....
    Couch to 5 kms thats a treadmill activity you could do? I stick to what i do and not what they said for me to do, it was useless unles you get a nice trainer.

I will look into crunch time. se correct me if I am wrong but the couch to 5K is more about getting you into running, and running isn't a goal for me because of my sciatic issue. I started walking at 3.0 and have raised myself to 3.5 on a 4% incline for 45 minutes. I am ok where I am at there with my heart rate. Is there another part of couch to 5k that I am not getting? Thanks for the crunch time suggestion.
  • imo, you need to get those C-Suckers to listen to you...you are the customer!

i know if i would get poor service i would remind them in this day and age of social networking a bad name goes a long way now...honestly, i really dont think you need a personal trainer...you said yourself you were only doing 12min, and now your doing 60...that is a huge accomplishment in itself!

i would do your own research on the net, its there...you just have to find it. also the biggest tool at your disposal is MFP.

Maybe I'm not giving myself and the tools available enough credit. I have tomorrow off and I'm staying home to work on a few house things and I'll do some research on this too. Some very good calorie free food for thought. Thanks for the support.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Is there a way to talk to the gym manager and see if he can find out the name of the female PT who came in to check on you?

I would tell the manager what you told us. That your PT didn't ask your general fitness, didn't ask if you had medical issues just threw you straight into a hard workout, to the point you were near collapse. That is a TERRIBLE PT. They need to retrain him so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I was facing the same dilema you were in regards to strength training. I was TERRIFIED of going into the free weights area and starting, as I simply had no idea what to do. I thought I had to pay to be shown what to do. I went and spoke to the (female) member on staff today and she showed me what to do. She made sure my squats and dead lifts were correct form and told me if I ever needed help with an exercise the PTs are happy to show you and make sure you are doing the correct form. They don't want you injured! She then showed me the machines they have to assist you with free weights and my gym has this AWESOME machine that has a TV on it, that you can get to show you what the lifts are and proper form.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

I would tell the manager what you told us. That your PT didn't ask your general fitness, didn't ask if you had medical issues just threw you straight into a hard workout, to the point you were near collapse. That is a TERRIBLE PT. They need to retrain him so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

This! All PT's should have a handle on your background info. When I first went to see my PT(who I'm still with BTW) he sat down with me and asked me all my info.. and truly tried to get a feel for who I was and where I was coming from.. which is a big deal!

Even tho you say your stuck for 11 months at this gym, see if there is a customer service number that you can call. Most will let you cancel, I'm sure. Besides, 200 for 10 30 minute sessions is a lot of money... I got 18 one hour sessions at my gym, that I split up into twice a month increments, and I only pay 88 dollars a month.