How do you find the self discipline and motivation?

Options
I will admit that I am struggling.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    For me, healthy eating and exercise is just something that has become a part of my life that I love so much.
    You can slip up every now and then who cares, if you don't then you won't be able to maintain it longterm.
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    I think about how I would look and feel if I don't stay motivated and have self discipline. I would immediately feel horrible after eating horribly and not exercising, and what have you. It's just not worth it to my to me. I know it's painful sometimes, believe me, I know! But it's so worth it to do it for yourself and your body.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I tell myself to "Listen to my soul, and quiet my mind.." Your own mind will sabbotage you..
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time sometimes making this healthy lifestyle work for me, especially with how busy I am and all the things I do during the day. I used to constantly make up excuses as to why I couldn't pass up this unhealthy food or why I couldn't use this extra 30 minutes to get in a quick exercise.

Lately, it's been sheer will inside me that I want to feel and look better and be happy with myself. If you stick with it, you will guaranteed look and feel better than you do right now. Eventually it becomes a part of who you are and something that you truly enjoy.

The best advice I can give is take it just one day at a time. That's all you can do sometimes to make it work. If you slip, get right back up and try again. Everybody makes mistakes--it's ok. I know you can do it. We're all here to help. :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Fat picture/Healthy picture:

7434194_4183.jpg7434194_2712.jpg

And dressed, 4th of July 2010/2011:

7434194_4814.jpg7434194_7482.jpg

That's all it takes for me...seriously.
  • pipistrula
    Options
    Honestly...I'm not sure. Haha, not helpful, I know.

For my first week or two, I started running with friends, even if just sometimes, which actually taught me that running could be fun. During that week I practiced telling myself that I enjoyed what I was doing, even if I didn't. I told EVERYONE that I loved it, that it was hard, but still. When I showed up to run, I made jokes, I faked a good mood, I tried to get small bursts of energy to make things funnier. A month later now, I've almost come to believe it. That helps me at least get started.

Beyond that, I remember that a month ago, I hated looking in the mirror, I remember how I've felt since I was in middle school (even though at the time I was literally half my weight now, but also had an eating disorder). And I decided to change it. Even if my body hasn't changed much, I tell myself it has, and I smile at myself in the mirror when I can. I hold on REALLY tight when people tell me I can do it, and/or give me a compliment.

I've also set a goal. Not a long term, lose 70lbs sort of goal (though there's that one too). I set a goal of where I wanted to be 2 months from when I started (a month now). Not about weight loss, or nutrition, but rather, of what I wanted to DO (A 5k, regardless of my weight). And now that I've registered and paid it, I kindda have no choice but to train, lol. I can't afford it. So I remember that I have somewhere to be in a month.

I won't lie, I slack. Some mornings I refuse to run, but I try to make it up the next day or at night. Some days I go way over my calorie count, so I might refuse to count, lol. But...I want to like myself. And right now, that's enough for me to do what I'm doing...

(Also, seeing all the people on my feed, regardless of the fact that I don't have a CLUE who they are, doing this every day helps, lol, or I feel awful)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow morning is my weekly weigh-in. When I've lost weight it makes feel like "yes.. I can do this… I AM doing this". When I don't, then I'm all worried about what I didn't do right. What do I need to change? I start running reports to see if I've really been eating differently. I try to make it "controllable". I try to make it something I can do something about.

Now, I'm not saying that it's working for me at only 6 wks into this. I guess I'll have a better answer in the morning. :smile:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe my signature.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is really simple, all it comes down to is making a decision.

Are you a victim who is going to allow outside forces to control you? Constantly making excuses as to why things happen to you?

Or are you going to give yourself credit for having the strength to facilitate that changes you want in your life?

You get to choose!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I have found that my motivation has gradually shifted over the years from appearance to health. Now my number one motivation is investing in a long, happy and healthy old age (as far as I can control events, anyway), although the way I look is also a factor to some extent. There are so many health issues associated with excess weight, it's a 'no-brainer' really. But it also helps to have stability in your life, so that you can establish a really good routine.
  • HappyLuna
    Options
    Treat yourself. On a day you exercise have the piece of chocolate or some frozen yogurt or a small piece of cake. However, if its really bad and you feel a binge coming on I go for a walk. Nice fast pace to some fast pace music. Its great! Help combat the cravings. And I don't have too many bad foods in the house. A weight watchers dessert or some bisuits (for my son mainly :wink). It is difficult and its gutting when on here you can see so many people who have cracked it! But you will get their too. xxxx
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Fat picture/Healthy picture:

7434194_4183.jpg7434194_2712.jpg

And dressed, 4th of July 2010/2011:

7434194_4814.jpg7434194_7482.jpg

That's all it takes for me...seriously.

wow! impressive!!
  • lbgano
    Options
    One little, kind of shallow thing that keeps me going is how easy it is to get dressed in the morning when I'm healthy and fit. I don't have to worry that the only "non muffin top" pants are in the laundry, I don't have to find a long shirt to cover belly bulge but not so long that it will make my hips look chunkier...I don't have to agnonize over which undies will cause the least apparent panty lines in my slightly-too-snug pants.

Probably not too profound, but with how crazy my mornings are, these things motivate me!
  • lbgano
    Options
    . But it also helps to have stability in your life, so that you can establish a really good routine.

This!!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I can't lie, it's not always easy.
    But I'm determined that this time will be different and that if I screw up and make bad food choices one day, then I'm not going to give up but will do better the next day.
    One day at a time, one hour at a time, one mouthful at a time.
    Every good decision you make is a little tiny step on the path to getting healthier. They don't seem like big steps at the time, but all together they will get you there.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem, sometimes I will treat myself but it's not hard to stop. It's a calculated treat that fits into my limits for the day. You're in full control of your body... just do it! Think that to yourself, you are not controlled by food, if you want to get up and run nothing is stopping you but you... it's not very hard once you think about it.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    For me it was a case of truly hitting rock bottom. I can still remember the feeling of sitting at home and *sobbing* all night because I hated myself so much. I wrote a letter to myself that night. I keep it in my wallet to read when I'm struggling. I also posted this on my Facebook after being at it for a couple of weeks
    After being a pig fox six months and undoing all my hard work went back to Jenny craig a month ago and have now lost 7kg. Most importantly I have cut down on the soft drink and am drinking at least 2L of water a day. I feel great and can't wait to be actually HEALTHY! Ive finally decided I deserve a healthy body and am sick of hating myself and how I look and that no-one else can change that but me!

I have gone whole hog with changing my life. it's not just the food for me, it's exercising, it's drinking proper amounts of water, it's cutting crap out of my diet (slowly yes, but I'm getting there with diet soda) it's learning to LIKE myself.

I'm now six weeks in. I have had chocolate the last two weeks (only small amounts though!) and yesterday gave myself a reward by having a lunch I've been craving for three weeks (nasi goring and gelato. It was awesome!) but ultimately I am sticking to this. Because I'm worth it. And I know you are too!
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    how did you do that body figure thing on the bottom.. :D its awesome!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that self control is much harder than routines and if...then... rules - eg 'if I eat or drink something, then I log it'. Then it becomes habit, and habits are hard to break (as you know!). I find once I'm logging regularly it's easier to keep logging (the new feature showing the weekly net calories on the phone app is awesome to keep me on track!). Re the exercise the biggest thing for me is knowing I have to see my personal trainer every Friday night for 30 minutes and he will kick my butt. that gets me to the gym twice in the week as I don't want to slip back in my fitness!

So, keeping accountable (here or to a PT or to your friends etc) is a big factor too - and because it's more external and not just you sitting on the sofa saying 'I must be motivated/self disciplined' it's much easier. Because left to my own devices I'd lose portion control, start comfort/boredom/secret eating again and slob out on the sofa! :)
  • kardeamad
    Options
    I think it depends on why you are doing it in the first place.

Mine is for health reasons - being laid up in emergency with wires up the ying yang and being told you have had a heart attack is a real motivator. It scared the bejeezers out of me :sad:

I went to my GP yesterday. After 4 weeks I have dropped my pulse rate, blood pressure and weight (I lost 10+kgs before I started on here) and my ECG came back normal. That was progress I could see and the look of sheer relief in hubby's eyes told me everything he is feeling too.

If I wane a little I look back at my readings - I can see those so it becomes real. If I want to remind myself of why I am doing it I look at my hubby (I adore him and have years and years worth of love to share with him yet), and flick back through the pics of us atop of Hellevellyn (2nd highest mountain in England). I used to love it and miss hillwalking dreadfully.

I saw one lady post a pic of her before and now jeans - that was awesome. Do you have something that you could see your progress with too?