Broken metabolism

Options
Hello all, I hope this topic hasn't been posted before. I know that can get annoying. Anyway, I've had a few bad weeks with an ever-increasing negative voice in my head telling me my metabolism is broken. I've done possibly every crash diet possible, and have taken a lot of diet pills. I was also, once upon a time successful at losing 30 lbs the right way but didn't keep it off longer than a year, and that was several years ago. So it's all back now and I've had a difficult 2 months trying (the right way) to lose more than 2-3 lbs. I've put my body through a lot, and am wondering if it's possible for my metabolism to be so screwed up that it's nearly impossible for me to lose weight. If that's not realistic, will someone throw their 2 cents in? I don't want to make anymore excuses for myself but I want to know that I'm not broken and that the goals I want are attainable. I know there are lots of other people who have lost a lot of weight, and people at my height, weight and age, but "what if they didn't have screwed metabolisms"?

Replies

• lanaholt
    Options
    It is true we can mess our metabolism up with crash diets, but most folks can get back on track with proper nutrition and exercise. What have you been doing in terms of diet and exercise? =]
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Your body is incredibly resilient. It may take some time for your body to get used to eating healthy and regularly but I do not think it is possible to completely destroy your metabolism. Just take care of your body and it will catch on (probably sooner than you expect) and realise that you are treating it better and it will start functioning the way it is meant to again.
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    Except for this past week when I hit a low, I was working out 6 days a week (Running, Zumba, Tae Bo, ChaLEAN Extreme, Turbofire, Power Yoga), and was staying within 100 calories of my goal, that's counting whatever exercise calories I was allotted. I continued that way for 2 months, save for about the last week.
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    Your body is incredibly resilient. It may take some time for your body to get used to eating healthy and regularly but I do not think it is possible to completely destroy your metabolism. Just take care of your body and it will catch on (probably sooner than you expect) and realise that you are treating it better and it will start functioning the way it is meant to again.

Thank you :)
  • WhitneyFMills
    Options
    I feel the exact same way! I feel that my metabolism is "dead". I have gone a full week of eating super healthy foods, and little calories, and have somehow managed to gain weight. I never understood. I sure hope that your body starts cooperating with you! Best Wishes!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body needs to adjust to a new system, or recover. I would not quit a program that was working for you before until it keeps failing you for a couple more weeks. Otherwise you will be bouncing from method to method before your body can demonstrate results of any of them, and you'll never know what works.
  • yoghurtand
    Options
    I definitely think you need to think about this in the long term - it's going to take more than two months to fix all the damage done if they were really very restrictive diets. Your body probably thinks you're doing what you've always done. Exercising 6 times a week seems a little intense! If there is no time for your body to recover, you probably won't be seeing the results you expect.

Also, I believe 'metabolism' is a lot harder to damage than people think. If people who suffer from diseases like anorexia can go down to 100lbs, go up to 140lbs and crash back down again to 90lbs, then I think it is possible for people with more 'normal' eating habits to fix whatever given time.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I agree, you have to give your body time to reset as well.

Sometimes its best to give your body a break from exercise as it has no time to recoup so doing 6 days a week of hard core exercise may be a bit too much.

Give it a few more months of eating well, drinking water, plenty of sleep and hopefully that should do the trick x