Convenience foods to take for lunch?

Options
:flowerforyou: A friend of mine introduced me to KIDNEY BEANS! I keep a couple of cans in my filing cabinet drawer at work (I am a teacher), and about once or twice a week I have them for lunch. 1/2 of a can is about 200 calories, is filling, FULL of protein and fiber, and with a 1/2 T. of butter taste really good! You just have to pour 1/2 of the can into a bowl (drain a little bit of the juice) and microwave between 2-4 minutes. Some of the beans will pop open! Just for a little change, I have actually crunched up 8 cracker squares before and added them like you do to chili. They are a little sweet and a little salty and the texture makes you feel like you are eating a little meat! Of any meal I take for lunch, this is by far the most filling and keeps me from binging just before supper.

The only two drawbacks: At first, you will need to isolate yourself from loved ones until your system gets used to all that fiber! But in a couple of weeks, the gas will pass and it won't cause that problem anymore. The other thing is that if you are watching your sodium, they are pretty high in it. (410 mg in 1/2 cup).

Another thing I have recently found is Bird's eye steamed veggies. I only eat 1/2 the bag, but they only take 5 minutes to cook in the bag, and again are low fat and higher fiber. These need salt and a tad of butter. The nice thing about these is that there are a lot of varieties, and like kidney beans they are VERY cheap!

They also sell Teryaki tuna in a zipper pouch in the canned foods section at WalMart. This is a little spendier, but with a couple of crackers, it makes a pretty good protein filled lunch also.

I was surprised when I had to enter kidney beans in the database myself, but it's now there for you to use. I like the Mrs. Grimes, light red kidney beans the best. Let me know how you like it, and PLEASE reply with what else you take for lunch out of convenience!

113736.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A friend of mine introduced me to KIDNEY BEANS! I keep a couple of cans in my filing cabinet drawer at work (I am a teacher), and about once or twice a week I have them for lunch. 1/2 of a can is about 200 calories, is filling, FULL of protein and fiber, and with a 1/2 T. of butter taste really good! You just have to pour 1/2 of the can into a bowl (drain a little bit of the juice) and microwave between 2-4 minutes. Some of the beans will pop open! Just for a little change, I have actually crunched up 8 cracker squares before and added them like you do to chili. They are a little sweet and a little salty and the texture makes you feel like you are eating a little meat! Of any meal I take for lunch, this is by far the most filling and keeps me from binging just before supper.

The only two drawbacks: At first, you will need to isolate yourself from loved ones until your system gets used to all that fiber! But in a couple of weeks, the gas will pass and it won't cause that problem anymore. The other thing is that if you are watching your sodium, they are pretty high in it. (410 mg in 1/2 cup).

Another thing I have recently found is Bird's eye steamed veggies. I only eat 1/2 the bag, but they only take 5 minutes to cook in the bag, and again are low fat and higher fiber. These need salt and a tad of butter. The nice thing about these is that there are a lot of varieties, and like kidney beans they are VERY cheap!

They also sell Teryaki tuna in a zipper pouch in the canned foods section at WalMart. This is a little spendier, but with a couple of crackers, it makes a pretty good protein filled lunch also.

I was surprised when I had to enter kidney beans in the database myself, but it's now there for you to use. I like the Mrs. Grimes, light red kidney beans the best. Let me know how you like it, and PLEASE reply with what else you take for lunch out of convenience!

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal