Anyone else think calories burned are overestimated?

Options
2»

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For me, they're way off. I wasn't losing weight eating them back, so I bought a FitBit and now use it to accurately calculate my burn. I maintain an exact 500 average daily deficit, so I technically eat back my exercise calories, just not what MFP says I burned.
  • NaCheezIt
    NaCheezIt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a hrm and I find that they are all too high except for circuit training, but I am really short, so that could be a factor :P
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    Yes i am certain the calories burned for exercise are set to high.
    when i use machines at the gym the calories burned are displayed on the machine on completion of the workout.
    They are significantly lower that what MFP says i burned.

Also It is difficult to guage exact calories burrned, as it depends on the intensity you workout.. IE boot camp, zumba, aerobics, walking ( are you a low pace, but walking UP hill).

I think its best not to eat all of you calories burned, as i feel they are over estimated.. cheers
  • Jess5825
    Options
    I used to have a polar HRM and now I have a bodymedia, on both devices the calories burned ar much lower than those given to me on mfp. But to that extent, I used to use livestrong and the same thing.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When things look a little high to me, I lower my minutes. :/
    For example, it tells me for competitive volleyball I burn over 800 for 90 minutes of playing (which I actually play 2hours) so even then I lower the minutes. It's a lot of movement but I can't imagine it's THAT much.

I do this for the sports I play, too.
  • meliturtlee
    Options
    Honestly I don't like logging exercise calories. Diet is 80% weight loss, those calories are the most important. As far the exercise part, i just make sure I get my workout in and I actually go hard.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have always been told to take off 15% of the calories burned on machines at gym - maybe the same thing applies to MFP stats?
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yup. I use a Bodybugg to know what I burn during a workout as well as all day.

God bless!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have always been told to take off 15% of the calories burned on machines at gym - maybe the same thing applies to MFP stats?

This is SOOO true.. during my cardio circuit, if I do it like I should.. the machines say I burn 700 calories. That SAME workout logs 539 on my Bodybugg, which is said to be more than 90% accurate.

God bless!