sucessful goal setting???

Options
can some of you veterans share sucessful goal setting techniques?? I always start with great ideas and it never really works

Replies

• JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    can some of you veterans share sucessful goal setting techniques?? I always start with great ideas and it never really works
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I've only been at this for 2 weeks and I'm down 5 pounds. I feel like I'm on the right path, but I have a question. Should my goal be my final weight, or should I go for an intermediate weight for now. I'm worried about the psychology of it.

My skinny weight is 132, but my healthy (looked ok - not fat and not skinny) was 145-150. Should I go for 150 first, then adjust to 132, or should I put my REAL goal and visualize being that size again? I weigh 208 right now.

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    start small, divide your weight loss goals into smaller goals, like 5, 10, 15 or 20 pounds

larger goals are harder to get to and some people lose motivation and struggle

:flowerforyou:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    yep knobloch i would aim for the higher weight first, when you get there, you can choose to go further or you might be happy with what you see and stay at your original goal

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    :cry: The only weight I remember being truly happy with and feeling sexy at was 132. I felt ok at 150, not fat, and not skinny. The people around me had fits when I returned to 132 after being at 150 for a couple of years. :grumble: But I truly loved how I felt at that weight and didn't strive to lose anymore.

THEN I got married and my hubby was heavy. I fought him for a year or so, then decided to just live with the way he was. I basically decided, "If you can't beat them, join them." And here I am 17 years later at 206 pounds.

My older sister was up to 320 and after a difficult divorce and five years she has lost 100 pounds! We are now the same size and it's killiing me that she might become skinnier than me! (I know she will never be 132, I think her skinniest is 150. I'm happy for her, but I HAVE to lose this weight before she does...

It's eating me up!

Thanks for the feedback on the goal. The ticker looks pretty good set at 145. The picture is of me at 132 pounds (age 26).

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    start small, divide your weight loss goals into smaller goals, like 5, 10, 15 or 20 pounds

larger goals are harder to get to and some people lose motivation and struggle

Agreed! Set small goals & give yourself rewards, non-food rewards!! For my last 20 lbs I've done the following:

155 lbs: Flowers for myself
    150 lbs: New Wii Fit game
    145 lbs: New Wii Fit game
    140 lbs: Night in a hotel suite with my handsome boyfriend
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have an overall goal to lose 28 lbs, but its split into chunks in my head:
    lose 8 lbs (this will take me to what I weighed on New Year's Day 08)
    lose 8 lbs (takes me to what I was before I fell pregnant with my 10 week old)
    lose 9 lbs (takes me to what I was before I fell pregnant with my 2.5 year old)
    lose 3 lbs - final goal!! (though I may tweak this when I get there!)

Hope that helps!:flowerforyou: