No Headphones For 5K - WHAT?!?!

Options
OK - gearing up for my first 5K - been training for weeks. I've become obsessed with my music while running. I like to be ALONE - put in my ear buds and CRANK my music. It is my inspiration and my motivation.

So - I was just looking at the site for the 5K I am signed up for....it says - NO HEADPHONES ALLOWED.

Is this for real? I almost cried.

Is this common for races?? Anyone else have this concern/issue?

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Bump for me to return to later.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would say it's probably 50/50, but you'll be fine without it...with all the other people, it will go by so quickly. Just find someone you can keep up with and chase him or her the whole time!
  • Teeteetare
    Options
    I have never heard of that but I have only ran in one race.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The 10K I'm running in November is a no headphone race, so they do exist. I'm not sure if it has to do with the number of runners and it being a safety measure or not. I've been running without music the last few weeks, now I've gotten to the point where I can run with music or without.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about that, too. There is a half-marathon I want to work up to and, upon reading the details of the race, they discourage headphones because you can't here announcements being made and such. I really like my music. I don't like to hear myself breathing. Haha!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Does that also mean no earbuds or just the big honking plastic headphones? I can see where that might be a safety thing. Interesting post.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Does your phone/iPod have speakers? I hate running with headphones for safety sake on the road (can't hear cars), and because the wires tangle on the track. I always just run with the speaker on.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. its stupid. I wear mine anyway. I have this special finger for the wankers that complain.
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    I just got back from my second 5K run. I love my music. I actually create a music setlist in a time that I want to match or beat (For today I had 34 minutes of music and finished race in 33:17).
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It's a safety measure so you can hear what is going on around you. I've found when running on a trail, I don't hear bikers and faster runners that call out "passing on your left".
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'd just use them anyways. All the races I run "discourage" headphones, but the large majority of people use them.
  • victoriashea
    Options
    Yeah.. its stupid. I wear mine anyway. I have this special finger for the wankers that complain.

Yeeeup.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it does exist! I did a sprint distance tri, and a regular local 5K with the same rules. I guess the best thing is to start running without them as you approach the race. I have my soundtrack so ingrained in my head anyway that I can just play the songs in my head!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why do you need headphones?

henry-young.jpg
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

this.

you paid for this race, what are they gonna do, yank you out of it? No. Worst that will happen is a disapproving glare. As you run by.
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    There is a big difference between training and actually racing, and that is the excitement that comes with racing. Personally, when I was deployed I wasn't allowed to wear headphones so I just got used to it, and now I don't run with headphones. It also helps when you have someone with you. I run on a nice paved trail and I love listening to the sounds of nature and just outside in general. Also, if I'm running on a street I like to be aware of my surroundings.

I would say just to try it once or twice without headphones (with an open mind) just to see how it is. Or you could be a rebel and run with headphones anyway :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The one I did last week had the same rule. They said it was for safety. Luckily it was a walk and I had a friend with me to talk with the whole time. But I know as I am training to run one that I would have a hard time running without headphones.
  • christineburrus
    Options
    You can wear them! A lot of them say that but there hasn't been one yet that I couldn't wear them in!! Breathe!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How did people ever run before walkmans & ipods were invented?