Advice from Runners

Options
How important is stretching before or after you run? What do you do to stay flexible and injury free? Do you believe yoga or pilates helps your running?

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Stretching is vital before and after any form of exercise to help prevent injury and reduce stiffness and DOMS.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I usally don't stretch before a run but I do warm up! I stretch afterwards!
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've heard that stretching before a run actually isn't good for your muscles (but you should still do some warm-up) -- does anyone know anything about that?
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Stretching cold muscles can apparently increase the rate of injury. I do a small warm up jog, then do a bit of stretching, then run, then do a long series of stretches & rolling on a foam roller. I should really add icing in there for my knees as well, since I have ongoing injuries that slow me down now and then.
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    I don't normally stretch before running but I do a warm up and I always stretch afterwards.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Static stretching (bending over and touching your toes, etc.) is not recommended prior to a workout because your muscles are more prone to injury if they don't have enough blood flow yet (especially true if you work out right away in the morning). Ballistic stretching is good, though, as is any light cardio like jumping jacks or jogging in place just to get the blood moving.

And stretching afterwards is vital.

I speak from experience. I was always an avid stretcher, and this year during marathon training I slacked off my post-workout stretching to save time, so I ended up developing bursitis in my hip. I have kept it at bay by, you guessed it, stretching 3 times a day, even on rest days.

Runners have notoriously inflexible hips. Stretching is important for maintaining good form.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    How important is stretching before or after you run? What do you do to stay flexible and injury free? Do you believe yoga or pilates helps your running?

Stretching is critical after wards. Can stretch before you run, but must warm up first with walking or light jog. If you stretch "cold" muscles you could tear them.

I am a big believer in yoga in pilates as cross training with running. I wish someone told me this before I started becoming a runner because I have severe chondromalica in both knee caps ( No knee cushion.) The muscle trainning in pilates and stretch with yoga, are the best combinations. If you have tight muscle in your IT band and a weak hamstring muscle, this can pull your knee cap out of line, therefore, causing bone rubbing on bone. So this "cross-training" is very good for prevention of injuries.

Good luck to you! Happy running!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I honestly never stretch. I do yoga on non running days, but before or after I never stretch and other than some common overuse injuries I'm injury free. I've herad stretching before can make you more pruned to injury because you'll be too loose and it can cause issues. I think it's a personal thing and all runners are a little different.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before a run. You shouldn't stretch a cold muscle. If something is bothering you, stop and stretch a mile or two in, once your warmed up. Stretch it all out once your done though, for sure. Google some running stretches. You can benefit from knowing the right ones to do for runners, like stretching the hips and IT band.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I'm a post run stretcher. Believe it or not some people are not good at technique when it comes to stretching and it's easier to strain a cold muscle with poor technique. I stretch after my run because I have very bad technique due to back issues or my gut getting in the way.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I don't always stretch before my runs, but will do some warm up, even if that means just walking for a bit to get the muscles moving. After running, oh yeah...a definite for me!
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i stretch before and after races but not my training runs not sure why just my routine...I do yoga on sundays to keep stretched out and flexible! Running really hurts your flexability because your muscles get so tight and runners have type A personalitys and only hold stretches for seconds where gymnaists hold them for minutes
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i stretch before and after races but not my training runs not sure why just my routine...I do yoga on sundays to keep stretched out and flexible! Running really hurts your flexability because your muscles get so tight and runners have type A personalitys and only hold stretches for seconds where gymnaists hold them for minutes

One stretch position should be held for 30 seconds to benefit from the stretch.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've heard that stretching before a run actually isn't good for your muscles (but you should still do some warm-up) -- does anyone know anything about that?
    My dad was a body builder and used to run track, he told me to never stretch out a muscle that you haven't worked yet. He said to just do a warm up of walking first, or even jog a bit, and then do some stretches.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    A good resource might be Jim & Phil Whartons' Stretch Book. We keep a copy here at home and lend it out all the time. I dont stretch before runs but do the first 0.5 mile as a warm up (a Jeff Galloway suggestion). I also take TaeKwonDo so most of the classes include some stretching exercises. When I wake up in the morning, I do some Wharton stretches before my feet hit the floor (stretches that are specific to what gets tight on me) and also try to do some stretches before I go to bed at night. I am not the most consistent person when it comes to stretching and could better in this dept.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options

One stretch position should be held for 30 seconds to benefit from the stretch.

To increase flexability it should be held longer. I went to a seminar on this but for runners just to stretch out 30seconds works for the stretch but not the flexability