Does MFP overestimate BMR?

Options
I hope this isn't a common topic, I didn't see one like it. Basically, MFP calculates that I should eat around 2,100 calories per day in order to maintain. However, a link on the Tools section of MFP asks for the same information but calculates my BMR at around 1,700. I'm confused by this. I'm supposedly eating at a calorie deficit of 500/day according to my MFP diary (when I eat 1,620 daily) but according to the calculator under the Tools section of the website, I'd have to be eating at net 1,200 calories a day in order to lose 1lb per week.

Confused. HELP.

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you'd get two different numbers...but I see you've lost 6lbs, so I'd just continue doing what you're doing. BTW, at 200 and something lbs, I eat 1600 calories/day, and haven't had a problem losing.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories you'd need to live if you laid in bed all day (like in a coma). You didn't get up. You didn't go to the bathroom. You didn't eat. Basic bodily functions.

When MFP figures out your daily calories - it takes your age, your current weight, height, BMR, activity level and your weight loss goals (1lb, 2lbs, etc a week) and it figures out what you should eat to maintain and then tells you how many calories to eat based on the amount of weight you want to lose per week. It creates the deficit based on the weight you want to lose in a week. Someone who only wants to lose .5lbs a week will have more calories than someone who wants to lose 2lbs a week.

From what I've seen - MFP is right on track with BMR. I've done mine on multiple sites and on average it is between 1330-1340. MFP has mine set at 1338, I believe. So, right in that range.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    BMR does not equal calories you burn in daily life. BMR equals the calories you burn to do the minimum life functions - basically, what you would burn if you were in a coma - no thinking, no eating, no walking 10 steps (you get the drift).

The general rule of thumb for sedentary lifestyle is to add 20% to that to get maintenance calories. So.....your maintenance calories would be 1700+20% (or 340 roughly if you are sedentary) for a total of 2040 so pretty darn close to 2,100.

Your confused because you assumed BMR and maintenance calories were the same (I thought the same thing for years until I did some research on it).

So, 3,500 calories equal a pound or 500 a day so depending on which number you go with between 1540-1600 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    BMR is not what you should eat. It is essentially how many Calories you burn if you stayed in bed all day.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    BMR does not equal calories you burn in daily life. BMR equals the calories you burn to do the minimum life functions - basically, what you would burn if you were in a coma - no thinking, no eating, no walking 10 steps (you get the drift).

The general rule of thumb for sedentary lifestyle is to add 20% to that to get maintenance calories. So.....your maintenance calories would be 1700+20% (or 340 roughly if you are sedentary) for a total of 2040 so pretty darn close to 2,100.

Your confused because you assumed BMR and maintenance calories were the same (I thought the same thing for years until I did some research on it).

So, 3,500 calories equal a pound or 500 a day so depending on which number you go with between 1540-1600 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

This is the best response ever!!!! Suddenly everything makes sense. Thank you SO much. :)
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    BMR is how many you need if you laid in bed and literally did nothing for 24 hours. Your maintenance calories are higher because it is set based on the lifestyle you entered. So even if you set it at sedentary, you still burn calories when you do normal daily stuff. That said, for me I think MFP over-estimates my calories. I think they are about 200 calories over what I need to maintain daily, so I take that into account when I'm setting my goals. I tried to eat at the maintenance level on MFP for a couple weeks, just to take a break but not go overboard, and I gained 3 lbs. But after researching BMR and RMR on various websites (This one is helpful: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php) I've adjusted my settings on MFP and it's working.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I wish they'd get ride of that BMR tool. It just confuses people.
  • jessica_mom343
    jessica_mom343 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BMP equals cals burned if you were in a coma. Your maintenance cals is your TDEE (total daily energy output based on your lifestyle.) Google it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    In having my BMR conducted by a trainer, I found this to be pretty accurate. When people talk about the "deficit," I'm not sure what they mean because my BMR given by MFP and my BMR by my trainer are less than 50 calories off.