Sticking to my calories and exercise and not losing any weig

Options
I'm a new mum trying to loose my baby weight... Before I had my son I use to find losing weight quiet easy, although I was a happy size 12 at 10 stone. But since I've had Max it's so difficult. I have alot of moments where I just want to give up my diet but I wont. I'm doing plenty of exercise, sticking to my calorie limit and usually under my calorie limit by 50 - 200 calories And eating quite healthy. Anyone else having this problem with baby weight?

Also, any tips are welcome!

xx

Replies

• swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    On MFP the goal is to HIT your daily allowance, not go below it - it already factors in a deficit for you to be losing weight. So based on that alone I'd suggest you eat a little more for a while (at least meeting your daily goal allowance) and see how you get on :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I just had sympathy weight. I see a lot of posts like this. The one thing in common, they are all sticking to the plan exactly. Maybe try doing a forum search for zig zagging. Personally I advocate splurging a bit, to relax, get those stress levels down. aka beer.
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    are you breastfeeding? you can actually type 'breastfeeding' in and depending on how often, it will subtract calories off.

i'm asking b/c if you're burning calories nursing, and eating below your daily amount, you may need to up your calories.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/334327-why-haven-t-i-lost

Check out what I wrote in this topic. You might have same problem!

I'm a new mum trying to loose my baby weight... Before I had my son I use to find losing weight quiet easy, although I was a happy size 12 at 10 stone. But since I've had Max it's so difficult. I have alot of moments where I just want to give up my diet but I wont. I'm doing plenty of exercise, sticking to my calorie limit and usually under my calorie limit by 50 - 200 calories And eating quite healthy. Anyone else having this problem with baby weight?

Also, any tips are welcome!

xx
  • mummytee87
    mummytee87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @swaymyway; I try to hit my calorie limit but it's usually after my exercise in the evening that I have some left over and I worry about eating in the evening as I've heard it's not good for you... but does it not make any difference giving this calorie controlled diet?

@billsica; Yeah I do have my treats occaisionally to chill out. Tonight for example, I have a chocolate cookie (plus it knocked my calories up!)

@sknopps; Nope not breastfeeding, but I do try to add the 'carrying an infant' exercise and the housework in too so I'm as accurate as possible :)

@DKBelle, I'll have a look, thank you x
  • Caz2678
    Options
    I am having similar problems!!

I had my baby 4 months ago and finding losing very very hard! I think its a lot to do with hormones and stuff too!! I have lost a few pounds so far but its not easy!!

I think its best to just stick with it and hopefully it will come off eventually. I have recently started to zig zag so hopefully that will help :)

Good luck xx
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    i recently read that you don't need to stop eating 4 hrs before going to bed. i'm sure there's still great debate over this. i eat after my workout, which is around 11pm. i have some fruit and nuts or cottage cheese. i was stalled for 3 weeks. i upped my calories, upped my water intake, slowed down on the cardio and introduced weights.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    @swaymyway; I try to hit my calorie limit but it's usually after my exercise in the evening that I have some left over and I worry about eating in the evening as I've heard it's not good for you... but does it not make any difference giving this calorie controlled diet?

When you eat makes no difference, it is all about how many calories you eat in the day and maintaining a calorie deficit. Eating before going to bed will not make you fat or fatter, eating over your calories will whether you do so when you go to bed or 4 hours before hand. The only think eating late may do is make your morning weight seem higher, not because you put anything on, but because your body is still digesting your last meal and has not eliminated it yet. I often eat late, even all the way up to bedtime, and it has not affected my weight loss in any way positive or negative. The whole eating late thing came from epidemiological studies that showed that people who ate at night tended to be fatter. The problem with that is it did not deal with how many calories they ate, just when they ate. All that could be concluded by that is fatter people eat late at night, but then for most people who are overweight they eat too much throughout the whole day. With this there are other epidemiological studies of countries where eating late is a normal practice showing no greater incidence of obesity. The few clinical studies out there on this show either no difference or positive effects of eating late at night as long as calories are controlled so there is not a surplus.

Having said that, if you are the sort of person who when they eat a night loses all control and what started as a snack or meal to fill your calories turns into a binge, night time eating would not be for you. This, however, is a matter of what triggers bad eating and thus is more psychological that physiological.
  • mummytee87
    mummytee87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice guys... At least it means I can go back to having my fruit salad in the evening while watching a film... My motivation has kicked up a notch! :) xx
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK too, in fact Portsmouth was the AFCO I signed up in.

Add me for help, and make sure your diary is open to your friends so we can all help keep you right!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I eat my main meal of the day a few hours before I head to bed and often snack to up my cals even after that...I've lost 7 stone so am a good example of how it doesn't matter at what time you eat, just how much!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

Add me for help, and make sure your diary is open to your friends so we can all help keep you right!

I was going to say that as well. Seeing a person's food diary can often help. Oh how carefully are you measuring your servings. I know some people eyeball it, but that can easily lead to eating too much. Careful measurement of portions, like a kitchen scale and measuring cups, goes a long way to knowing you are actually eating what you log. It removes another potential place that could be holding you back.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I was going to say that as well. Seeing a person's food diary can often help. Oh how carefully are you measuring your servings. I know some people eyeball it, but that can easily lead to eating too much. Careful measurement of portions, like a kitchen scale and measuring cups, goes a long way to knowing you are actually eating what you log. It removes another potential place that could be holding you back.

You signed up at Portsmouth too???

Just kidding. I've checked you diary and I've noticed that your chicken calories are out by possibly 40 calories. Smart price chicken has dextrose in it, and I've never heard of chicken that low in calories anyway.
    All those quick cook calories, I've no idea what they are or if they are accurate.

The other thing you could do is not have so much sugar, have more vegetables and protein.
  • nattylou90natt
    nattylou90natt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same about being under calories .. my allowance is 1100 .. do i need to try and hit that every day? Will being under stop me losing weight? And if im under, at least how much under am i allowed?

Im confused =\

Thanks