Can I tone and lean up from just cardio and weight machines

Options
Can I tone and lean up on just the cardio machines and weight machines at the gym? That is all I want to use. I have a very busy schedule and don't have time to get creative with anything else right now, unfortunately. I need an excercise plan of some sort for this. Does anyone know of one or maybe some guidelines? I normally do cardio and weight machines at the gym but I don't have a set plan. I want to lose weight. I am too thick. I'm also going to readjust my eating habits again and be consistent. I'm so stressed about my weight right now. :(

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You can from the weight machines, but they are not very time effective. The best thing to do would be take a few 30 minute classes every week at your gym that utilize large and small muscle groups simultaneously to get the most out of your workout.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    not alone, no. Eating clean(er) will make up most of how you can get toned. But, if you are doing all three of these things and remembering to take a day of rest, you should be good to go.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Can I tone and lean up on just the cardio machines and weight machines at the gym? That is all I want to use. I have a very busy schedule and don't have time to get creative with anything else right now, unfortunately. I need an excercise plan of some sort for this. Does anyone know of one or maybe some guidelines? I normally do cardio and weight machines at the gym but I don't have a set plan. I want to lose weight. I am too thick. I'm also going to readjust my eating habits again and be consistent. I'm so stressed about my weight right now. :(

If it were me, and I was just trying to burn fat...I'd skip the cardio completely, and use all my time on the weight machines (I prefer freeweights, but convincing someone dead set against them is usually impossible). Lift the heaviest weight you can do 5x in a row...and do 5 sets of those 5 reps for each exercise. Leg work (weighted squats and lunges on the smith machine)burns fat faster than ANYTHING else...as they are the largest muscles in the body, but don't neglect your upper body either.

I've lost 40lbs in just about 3mos, with zero cardio. You should be able to shed the 10lbs or so you're wanting to without much issue...using nothing but the weights.

~Edit - I forgot to add...I only work out 3x a week, for 30-45 minutes a session. You don't need to beat yourself up to firm up and shed fat.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Here's what I suggest for female clients. You want lean muscle so you aren't going to do a lot of weight and maximum reps.

In fact i would suggest a circuit training where you get on 10 different exercises in a doing as many reps as you can in a minute. No offense but you're a girl and 20 pounds is where i would suggerst you start. I only do 50-60 pounds.

I would start off doing 30 seconds straight and work your way up to 90 seconds per machine over the next few weeks.

Also like Bry said you want to eat healthy.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Here's what I suggest for female clients. You want lean muscle so you aren't going to do a lot of weight and maximum reps.

In fact i would suggest a circuit training where you get on 10 different exercises in a doing as many reps as you can in a minute. No offense but you're a girl and 20 pounds is where i would suggerst you start. I only do 50-60 pounds.

I would start off doing 30 seconds straight and work your way up to 90 seconds per machine over the next few weeks.

I'm going to take this suggestion and use it myself :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Light weight and high reps is a waste of time. It doesn't give you results. It doesn't help strengthen muscle and you can't lift fast enough to get a decent cardio workout from it.

When I was going to the gym I was lifting the heaviest I could and was doing 3 sets of 5-10 reps. I did upper body one day followed by 30-60 minutes of cardio then did lower body the next followed by 30-60 minutes of cardio. When I wasn't on that routine I was doing a 30 minute circuit that included all upper and lower body machines. Again, I lifted as heavy as I could and did as many reps as I could in 60 seconds. I alternated each machine with 60 seconds of step cardio. I followed my circuit with 30 minutes of cardio and on alternating days did 60 minutes of cardio.
  • fairyleo
    fairyleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks so much to all of you for the advice. wish me luck! :) you guys are awesome! keep up the good work. :)
  • dannylives
    Options
    You look great to me!