No Such Thing as Bad Foods aka "Junk Foods"

Options

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Body Builders to hit themselves with between 5000-9000calories/day, In the end it all really comes down to tracking what you've eatin and making sure those numbers add up at the end of the day.

Wait what?

Who hits 9k calories a day as a body builder? Even guys who are taking the good stuff that they get from the shady guy behind the pharmacy don't eat that much without getting fat.

I'm sure there are very very few bodybuilders that exceed 5K calories. Even those on PED's are probably around 5K'ish. You'd probably have to be over 300lbs and extremely lean to exceed 5K and I don't think Jay Cutler or Roney Coleman hit that range and they're HUGE.
    Michael Phelps averages 12,000 calores/day when he's training.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hey I've been looking at forums where I see allot of people attack foods such as pastries and other "Junk Foods". The truth is even if your trying to lose weight you can still eat the sweet things in life, They just have to be put in moderation towards your diet. Your body doesn't recognize Pop tarts from chicken it recognizes the breakdown in macro's (Carbs,Protein,fat). As long as you can hit your daily macro's while eating the things you wanna eat then there's no problem having your favorite cookie,cake,pastry etc.. I can go out and have a McDonalds meal and still lose weight as long as i hit my macros in a 24 hour period without going over or being under. Hope this helps! :wink:

This one gets my vote for post of the week. It's all about moderation and portion size. I'm a firm believer that you do not need to give up any food in order to become more healthy, you just have to learn how to fit those less healthy foods into your overall diet in a way that is healthy. Even trans fat can be consumed in moderation without any major health implications. You can have that doughnut or big Mac or Twinkie as long as you work it in with an overall diet that also incorporates healthier choices and as long as you keep your portions realistic. Learning how to do that is a powerful tool to long term healthy eating that also deals with The temptation of supposed "junk foods".
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    everyone wants to pick on mcdonalds for some reason. there are so many healthy choices you can get from there now that saying "oh i had mcdonlads for lunch" is not longer a sin! just bc you dont want to eat complete junk, doesnt mean you have to cut out fast food. sure, dont get a bigmac. but you can get a grilled chicken salad. a side salad, parfait, oatmeal... you just have to be smart about what/how much you eat.

Yep, and I could eat one Pop Tart at a time, but we both know that isn't happening.

and bc you have no self control means no one else does? really?

i serve tons of people who come in everyday and get a salad. sure, i have people who come in and get a large angus bacon cheese, extra cheese, with a large fry and sweet tea with extra sugar. but it's their choice. doesnt mean thats what EVERYONE gets.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Hey I've been looking at forums where I see allot of people attack foods such as pastries and other "Junk Foods". The truth is even if your trying to lose weight you can still eat the sweet things in life, They just have to be put in moderation towards your diet. Your body doesn't recognize Pop tarts from chicken it recognizes the breakdown in macro's (Carbs,Protein,fat). As long as you can hit your daily macro's while eating the things you wanna eat then there's no problem having your favorite cookie,cake,pastry etc.. I can go out and have a McDonalds meal and still lose weight as long as i hit my macros in a 24 hour period without going over or being under. Hope this helps! :wink:

ahh another barely out of diapers know it all to enlighten us poor ignorant folk
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options

This one gets my vote for post of the week. It's all about moderation and portion size. I'm a firm believer that you do not need to give up any food in order to become more healthy, you just have to learn how to fit those less healthy foods into your overall diet in a way that is healthy. Even trans fat can be consumed in moderation without any major health implications. You can have that doughnut or big Mac or Twinkie as long as you work it in with an overall diet that also incorporates healthier choices and as long as you keep your portions realistic. Learning how to do that is a powerful tool to long term healthy eating that also deals with The temptation of supposed "junk foods".

THANK YOU!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Wrong wrong wrong... Your food recognizes the macro nutrients and creates hormonal reactions based on what you are consuming as well which will affect fat / weight loss. It's not just calories in/out.

Not saying it's not okay to cheat a little here and there, but you can't have the above mindset.

Who says you can't have an "everything in moderation" mindset and not lose weight, be healthy and such? Pretty sure that is EXACTLY what I've done.

Had all kinds of bloodwork done - everything is "perfect". Did an EKG and guess what? "Textbook perfect". Told 'em I do a ton of cardio was told "Keep doing it then! Your heart loves you for it".

I eat sweets and I boy do I enjoy every last bite of them. I consume huge quantities of carbs in a day. I don't track my sodium and I don't pay much attention to my sugar either. I make sure I stay within my "range" for my calories.

Looks to me like an everything in moderation mindset can and does work out quite well. :)

Been at (or below) my original goal weight for almost a year now. Happily maintaining 143-145lbs.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    Who says you can't have an "everything in moderation" mindset and not lose weight, be healthy and such? Pretty sure that is EXACTLY what I've done.

Had all kinds of bloodwork done - everything is "perfect". Did an EKG and guess what? "Textbook perfect". Told 'em I do a ton of cardio was told "Keep doing it then! Your heart loves you for it".

I eat sweets and I boy do I enjoy every last bite of them. I consume huge quantities of carbs in a day. I don't track my sodium and I don't pay much attention to my sugar either. I make sure I stay within my "range" for my calories.

Looks to me like an everything in moderation mindset can and does work out quite well. :)

Been at (or below) my original goal weight for almost a year now. Happily maintaining 143-145lbs.

awesome job and congrats!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Wrong wrong wrong... Your food recognizes the macro nutrients and creates hormonal reactions based on what you are consuming as well which will affect fat / weight loss. It's not just calories in/out.

Not saying it's not okay to cheat a little here and there, but you can't have the above mindset.

Not saying you can't have sweets... but you must realize that what you eat very much affects how your body responds to the food. You can't be careless and just watch macros, there's more to it.
  • FairyMiss
    Options

for some , but not or everyone
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Body Builders to hit themselves with between 5000-9000calories/day, In the end it all really comes down to tracking what you've eatin and making sure those numbers add up at the end of the day.

Wait what?

Who hits 9k calories a day as a body builder? Even guys who are taking the good stuff that they get from the shady guy behind the pharmacy don't eat that much without getting fat.

I'm sure there are very very few bodybuilders that exceed 5K calories. Even those on PED's are probably around 5K'ish. You'd probably have to be over 300lbs and extremely lean to exceed 5K and I don't think Jay Cutler or Roney Coleman hit that range and they're HUGE.
    Michael Phelps averages 12,000 calores/day when he's training.

Thats the difference between an athlete and a body builder. In college I had a tightly managed diet of 8500 calories a day just to maintain my weight. Body building is all about growth and not about performance. Serious athletes work out just as much as body builders do ... after practice.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm having Stella Artois in moderation.

So far.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Staying out of all this, everyone seems a bit touchy today.....:noway:
  • TluvK
    Options

So far.

Ha Ha - it ALWAYS starts in moderation!! :drinker:
  • TluvK
    Options

So far.

Ha Ha - it ALWAYS starts in moderation!! :drinker:

PS - just to give you a laugh, I see you're from New Hampshire. My daughter just said the other day, " When does Ellie (her friend) get back from her vacation to New Hamster?"
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think there are some foods that have absolutely no nutritional value, like chips (although some have small amounts of fiber), gas station nacho "cheese"....
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options

ahh another barely out of diapers know it all to enlighten us poor ignorant folk
    LOL, So well said!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

LOL, So well said!

LOL Also i'd rahter have the opinion of those who have been at it for 300-400 days or more.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I think there are some foods that have absolutely no nutritional value, like chips (although some have small amounts of fiber), gas station nacho "cheese"....

can you even classifiy gas station nacho cheese as food?????
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

can you even classifiy gas station nacho cheese as food?????

Actually believe it or not it does have a notable amount of vitamin A and calcium in addition to fat, sodium, and of course calories.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The convo wasnt about junk food byt macro nutrients. Each has a different impact on the body and our hormones. This isnt the opinion of somebody that is a 90 day member its scientific fact. Read a little more than just what mfp gives you.