How to Diet with Busy Schedule and a Budget

hrgoldsby
hrgoldsby Posts: 2
edited October 2 in Recipes
I'm just starting my diet today! I need ideas for quick and easy meals that I can pack for work lunches. I'm a full time student and working 30 hrs/week, so in between class and work I have to throw together a meal before I head out the door, and pack a lunch to take with me to work. My cooking abilities aren't the greatest yet, and I'm slightly picky.

Besides having little meal prep time, I have a budget that I live on for groceries. So my question is, what kinds of food do I need to look for while grocery shopping, and what are some quick and easy meal ideas?

Replies

• lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    when I have to work i take lean cuisine or healthy choice TV dinners.
  • I would say salads. Do you have access to a microwave at school/work? I like the tuna and cracker set. They are filling and cheap and a good snack. Also pack roasted nuts/almonds or something with you thats a good healthy snack. :) Good luck!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    I eat ALOT of turkey sandwiches on Sara Lee Delightful bread with Light Mayo and cheese. I also eat tuna salad, egg salad and chicken salad. All cheap and easy.
  • I too live on a budget, and so I buy fruit, 0% fat yogurt, oatmeal fresh veggies if affordable. Whole wheat is good and peanut butter, and I discovered that having small meals and a snack in between has kept me around the 1200 calorie mark. It will not be easy at first, but it gets much easier as time goes by.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Losing weight with a busy schedule and a tight budget is the easiest way! No time to sit around boredom eating and you can only buy things worth getting!

Homemade soups are great - super cheap and filling, you can make them with almost anything.

Bulk cook - I always make double what need in my slow cooker when making chilli, curry, casseroles..... then just portion out and freeze..... easy to reheat and nutritious too.

For times when you can't reheat, pack a quick salad, a boiled egg, a pack of carrots/ crackers/ cheese (light cream cheese)/ avocado etc. Sandwiches and rolls are ok too so long as you pack them full of nutritious things and don't have massive slices covered in butter!

Yoghurt is a great snack, fruit too.

It is about being prepared, and that's the hardest bit. But you'll get the hang of it xxx
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Busy Schedule (two little kids)- check.
    Tight budget- check

I live for my crockpot and my bread machine. I can throw together a quick, healthy, and easy veggie soup in the am while my oldest is at school and while my youngest isn't tooooo cranky. I can also throw ingredients in my breadmachine to make whole wheat or half wheat bread. Dinner is made by 9:00 am, and is healthy and hearty. :-)

I also like to make a pot of dried beans and use them to bulk up main dishes, side dishes, and salads during the week.

Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • Thank you all so much for the hints, tips, and advice!!! It's only been a couple days and I'm already losing weight!! I just need to get into the habit of eating good foods -- thanks for the ideas, much appreciated!!

10831939.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    I supplement and have my meats cooked for the week. I wrap in Aluminum and take out 3 per day add the veggies or salad and its a quick cheap fix.
This discussion has been closed.