Do you guys log cleaning on your exercise log?

Options

Replies

• spaztastic13
    Options
    Yes......i do if its more then 20 minutes!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No - even though I am sedentary.

Today - just for kicks - I wore my HRM while doing the floors, baseboards and dealing with my daughter's frightening room. In one hour I burned 78 calories. It clearly doesn't burn what we wish it did.
  • DancingPixie
    DancingPixie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes i do but that's mostly when i am sweaty so know ive worked hard x
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nope.Having said that,I was 2 yrs ago alot larger(approaching goal weight now)and everything i did was difficult,so as far as im concerned its a personal choice,if you are large and even the simplest things can be a workout log it.If you(like me) barely even think about heavy breathing and you are essentially halfway through or nearing goal weight,a decent cardio/weight session is what gets your heart pumping not house cleaning:)

When i first started this journey,everything was hard work,as ive progressed the simple tasks that we take for granted I can remember were for me difficult.So I would have logged them then,i do not log them now.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If it is a set house attack time I do it. It does not get that a lot and believe me I count it.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Only if it's a cleaning activity that I don't already do on a daily basis and have calculated into my current activity level. I don't count doing the dishes or a load of laundry or even scrubbing the toilet, but things like scrubbing my kitchen from top to bottom, including the floors, I would log, because I rarely clean for an hour straight in one room alone.

I think it's up to each person to determine. Individual results may vary, type of thing. If you're losing weight and logging it, more power to you! But if you find you're having a hard time, maybe the cleaning should come off the log list and those calories not eaten, know what I mean? :)
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    No. Because my level is set to "active" so I assume it is worked into my calorie requirements.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I don't myself, but probably because I don't really clean that often ha!
    ^^this

I have a few friends that do and I think it's good. I think it's undervalued because it's women's work. If it's something you do everyday, you could include it in your activity level but weekly/monthly/seasonal chores - log em. The fact that they're productive doesn't take away from the effort and it counts. This is all about a healthy lifestyle - that should include clean:)
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No that's not exercise its life.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No. That is part of life and something I do normally. When I first signed up....I logged it out of desperation looking for someway to burn calories...but soon realized that I was fooling myself. lol Just part of my life. I now log exercise that gets my heart going....like walking fast at the track, or stair stepper. Not housework......: ) : )
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I only log stuff I don't do on a daily basis (like steam cleaning, furniture moving, scrubbing on my hands and knees, etc). I do a small amount of cleaning daily and no, I don't count that. But, if my heart is pounding and I'm sweating like crazy? Yep. I count it.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only on my big clean day. I vacuum the whole house, and mop, and I'm moving really fast the whole time, and work up a real sweat, this takes at least an hour. Then I do the rest of the scrubbing, as a cool down. I usually do this on my 'day off' workout day.

Ven
  • ohskinnyme
    Options
    Yes. I set my activity at sedentry and log most things. I am actually very active most days but there are some days where I am sedentry and it's easier for me to do it that way.
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    I don't because I've never lost weight cleaning so I wouldn't want to eat cleaning calories LOL
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    no...

i wouldn't unless you are cleaning a whole house... (like before you move in or after you move out).

depends on how rigorous and what your activity level is set at as well.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am set to lightly active as I spend the majority of my work day on my feet and walking around, but not doing physical labor. From what I saw elsewhere the average person spends about 2 hours a day total tidying up, cooking, etc...so, if I am doing a marathon food prep in the kitchen, and then cleaning house for an hour I would log what ever minutes are over the 2 hours. I also log mowing my lawn. If you look at how many calories you burn walking at a slow pace it is about the same as you burn doing light housekeeping. My logic is that if I would log going for a leisurely walk, why not cleaning?
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't track regular everyday cleaning, but i absolutely track anything that is physically demanding and/or for a long time.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I never ever do. Ever. For me it's running or the highway...I typically don't even count the cardio burn of doing things like sit ups, push ups and jumping jacks.