Dressing "age appropriate", what do you think?

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
I recently came across an article on yahoo Shine regarding women dressing according to their age. It said that after 35 one shouldn't wear bikini's and miniskirts. Also, certain brands were taboo.
Now, in my case, I'm 35 and in the best shape of my life. In addition, I tend to look a bit younger than my age. I'm also a bit eccentric and so I wear Hollister and shop in Hot Topic at times (they have cool band t's sometimes).
I personally think those "rules" are bull****.
What do ya'll think?

Replies

• thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think wear what you want.

Rules are meant to be broken, and rules as far as wardrobe...it's all a matter of your own personal taste.

Personally, I think I'm about ready to hang up the bikini.. it's my personal preference. I'm not sure I want to put myself out there like that.
    I get nervous wearing skirts too

I ALWAYS feel they are too short.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think you should dress to fit your personality, not your age.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    [/quote

I agree!]
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

agreed
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    there is a point where it becomes inappropriate to wear a mini skirt, or a low cut cleavage shirt, or whatever (not that any of those are appropriate for any age imo, I don't really like to look at a womans *kitten* hanging out of her skirt or her boobs), but what that age is, not gonna say.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I go by the new rule - and the new rule of fashion is there are no rules! The best thing that comes with age is not caring so much about what other people think. If you like it, rock it!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wear what u want! U got it, Flaunt it! :0) u worked hard for your body!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If it looks good, and you like it, wear it.
  • EJsMom310
    EJsMom310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you don't look skanky and have your junk hanging out of your bikini, you're OK. I say show off your hot bod! I've never worn a bikini and I might not get to until I'm 35... can't wait! :P
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and yes, I mostly agree. I saw an 80-year old woman in a mini-skirt and halter top the other day, though, and it did look odd. Have to love her confidence, though!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Well put!

While I will *never* be able to wear a bikini or short skirt (too many surgeries/too much loose skin), no one is going to tell me that I'm "too old" to wear my Gryffindor t-shirt or my skull and crossbones earrings. Yes, I also shop at Hollister... and yes, I love to wear shirts with oddball sayings or graphics on them -- GIR, anyone? -- but these things are what make me the unique ME that I am.

And while we're at it, I'd like to give a giant MYOB to those who tell me that 42 year old women need to cut their hair into a more "mature" style...
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I agree with those rules. Clothing stores advertise to certain age groups for a reason. And there comes a point when one can't be taken seriously when they're dressed like they're 25 but much older then 25. With that being said I believe there is also a happy medium. A lot of the time women will either dress incredibly young or too old for them. If you still got it going on I agree you should show that 100% but in clothing that is more suited for your age.
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    Wear whatever you feel like wearing! It's your body and no one has a right to tell you what you can and can't wear. That's complete BS. In my opinion "age appropriate" doesn't exist. I've seen women in there 40's and 50's in better shape than girls my age and more power to them. You work too hard to look good and no one can take that away from you.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I've been wearing the same *kitten* since I was in highschool. T-shirts and jeans/shorts. My wife complains that I don't "act" my age, hahahaha. Maybe I need to work on that.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I mean at 45 I'm probably not going to wear a mini skirt and a belly tank top that says "your boyfriend think's I'm sexy".

But if somebody else wanted to, why the hell not.
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Helen Mirren wears a 2-piece bathing suit. Just sayin'
  • SpartanTrainer
    Options
    If you have it FLAUNT IT!!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    <3 me some graphic tees.
    I shop at Hot Topic... my kids think I am a cool mom.
    I'm 27 though, so I kinda feel like it's still okay lol

But, even though they can fit into it, I get weirded out by grannies in leather mini skirts.
    It's almost at some point like they're trying too hard.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I think women should dress their age, but I don't think that means women over any particular age should unilaterally avoid certain items. I think a 35 or 40 yr old can tastefully wear a bikini or mini-skirt, but I've also seen plenty who can't! One of best friends has a great figure at age 40, but wears minis she's had since college. Her feeling is that the cuts and washes have come back in style; however, they are only really in style for teens NOT for grown women. I would fully support her wearing a new mini skirt purchased at a store that makes clothes for grown ups.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't like general rules and think everyone needs to be considered on an individual basis.

I think we've all seen people who needed to dress more conservatively, maybe a little less glitter or Paul Frank monkeys, kwim? There are just some things that don't belong on people over age....like 13.

I also hate the hair-length debate. I've heard women over 35 should not have long hair. There are so many beautiful women over 35 with long hair. This rule irks me.