Looking to get heart rate/calorie counter

Options
I have been to a few store looking for something to measure my heart rate and also tell me calories burned. I don't want a Body Bug, but something similar. Can anyone help??? I recall seeing the name Polar come up in some of these, but don't quite recall what it said after that...maybe Polar 4??? Thanks MFP friends for any suggestions....

Replies

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been to a few store looking for something to measure my heart rate and also tell me calories burned. I don't want a Body Bug, but something similar. Can anyone help??? I recall seeing the name Polar come up in some of these, but don't quite recall what it said after that...maybe Polar 4??? Thanks MFP friends for any suggestions....
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and I love it. You can go to their website (I think it's polar.com) and compare all of the models to find the one that you want. It is better if you have one with the chest strap (which I think all of the polar models have). I think that the biggest difference between the F4 and the F6 model is there is no interference at a gym with the F6 and higher models. It really makes it a lot more accurate for the calories burned if you have a HRM. Good luck.:smile:
  • melissa91971
    Options
    just a curious question to add to this post....

do the ones that don't have a chest strap work good enough?

I don't have the money for an expensive on and could get a watch band one but don't want to waist my money. Is it even worth it if they don't have a chest strap?

VERY IMPORTANT >>> I am not trying to take away from the original post so PLEASE answer it for her first!

THANKS!

~Mel
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have read in other posts that the ones without the chest strap aren't as accurate and you have to check you heart rate every few minutes. Hopefully someone who has one or who has experience with one will post. That is just what I've read.
  • repoman
    repoman Posts: 11
    Options
    Polar HRMs are the de-facto standard brand - you can't go wrong with this choice.

But you will have to decide on the extent of the features you want in the HRM, as Polar makes several models at different feature sets/price points. If you're budget conscious, you will be happy with the F4. At $89 from Amazon, it's $20 cheaper than the F6, but it still has some nice calorie burn tracking features.

Whatever you choose, HRMs are a fun and kind of geeky :happy: way to make your weight loss effort more productive.

Good luck,
  • deertl
    deertl Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a Polar F11 and love it. The chest strap is mostly soft material and is no bother at all to wear for walking, running, biking or an exercise class. It is a very easy device to use for tracking your exercise intensity for each outing and weekly activity goals. I credit using this in helping me to loose 40 pounds and keeping it off for 1 1/2 years. Good luck with your goals, just keep moving!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio, which doesn't have a chest strap, and I like it although you do have to take your HR, it doesn't continually show, but I have had the other kind with a strap and I didn't like it. So, to me they both have their pros and cons. :ohwell:
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies and great information. I am signing up for 2 seperate 12 week challenges....wish me luck!!
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 that I got online for $65. I love it! It does have the chest strap and works great. Shows my heart rate constantly, as well as my total calories burned for the day. Just what I was after!

I am not sure what your budget is for one, but compared to the other prices I had seen for a Polar, I thought $65 was a steal!

Good luck!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio, which doesn't have a chest strap, and I like it although you do have to take your HR, it doesn't continually show, but I have had the other kind with a strap and I didn't like it. So, to me they both have their pros and cons. :ohwell:

This is the one that I got for Christmas.....still trying to get used to it...I'm not gaget minded AT ALL....takes me forever to figure out how to use things. ( and I read the directions, unlike DH who can pick up something and just know how it works :grumble: )
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the difference between the Polar F6 & the F11 ?

I'm going to get one tomorrow and I'm not sure which one I should get. I'm leaning towards the F6 only because they have it in pink :blushing: but would be willing to get the F11 is for some reason it's better.

does anyone know the differences??

thanks!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: