Stressed Out Newbie

Options
HI all! I'm 24 and have a 2 year old son. Up until I got pregnant I was always okay as far as weight goes but I currently have all my pregnancy weight and then some! A recent doctor's appointment opened my eyes and made me realize i've got to get serious. I guess my hardest thing is finding something I can eat: I'm on on Coumadin, have high blood pressure, have extremely high triglycerides, and my blood glucose is borderline and by borderline it was one point away from being diabetes. So any advice/well wishes/etc. would be greatly appreciated.. I've got to make a change. I know the coumadin is for life but I would love to avoid diabetes && get off some of this other medicine that I think I could eliminate if I lost some weight.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, lots of fiber, whole grains and exercise!! Cut out processed foods and learn to enjoy cooking (even simple meals) if you don't already! Even if you just start off walking, you need to move every day!

It will get easier - and you have already done the hardest part... getting started :smile:
  • SweetHoliday
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are asking for help with a plan or not, but I can tell you what I've been doing. I cut out all bread, sugar, pasta and grain. I eat lots of turkey legs or ground turkey and veggies and fruits. I only drink water and I walk everyday. I started out at 2 miles, but I have worked my way up to 12 miles in a day and all in under 3 weeks. In that 3 weeks, I have lost 5 pants sizes and 14 lbs! I have never been one to lose weight easy, so this is HUGE for me! I found a system that works and maybe you can try it too if your medication allows for it :) Good luck!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Look for whole foods. Deep colored veggies and fruits. Aim for adding in nutrient rich food, and the cravings that hit for junk will start to fade. Feed your body good. It's helping me and I'm in a similar place with similar issues (except the pregnancy bit)

Glad you're here. It's a great place to meet supportive people. The biggest bonus to me is the ability to log food and exercise. What an eyeopener to see calories throughout a day. Try it at least a week and see if it doesn't do the same for you.

Welcome, from another newbie.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Go find a copy of Reversing Diabetes at your local Walmart. It's published by Readers Digest. It's a great place to start. And one blood sugar does not make you a diabetic.
  • jlynnlee
    Options
    Thank you all! It's just so stressful trying to figure out all the do's and don'ts since there's so many limitations! The hard part is any green vegetable I eat throws my blood thinner completely out of whack too so that cuts it down even further. I started walking today and I plan to work my way up from there. I guess i'm just still overwhelmed by it all! Congrats SweetHoliday on your success BTW, that's wonderful!

TDGee I most definitely will look for that tomorrow!
  • SweetHoliday
    Options
    Thanks Jlynnlee! You will get there too :)
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think I was recently in a similar place to you - with my doctor painting a gloomy picture if I didn't turn it all around.

The main message I got from my doctor is simple .... EXERCISE. It keeps the body parts working. .... and helps the weight loss that also has to happen.

I know that exercise is quite hard with young children, but there are several great threads on this site that discuss exercise when resources / time are limited.

Good luck to you, I know you will find some great support here.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, lots of fiber, whole grains and exercise!! Cut out processed foods and learn to enjoy cooking (even simple meals) if you don't already! Even if you just start off walking, you need to move every day!

It will get easier - and you have already done the hardest part... getting started :smile:
    Well said!!!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I also gained weight with each of my four children which is why I'm here, but the best thing I've done is get off my backside and start eating more veggies! I've cut down on red meats choosing leaner meats like chicken and fish and I've all but stopped eating fast foods. Cutting out breads is NOT the way to go because your body needs grains as well. But really try to kick up your veggie intake. A great web-sight is skinnytaste.com. She has awesome recipes that taste great. And, MOVE, MOVE, MOVE! Go for walks with your baby, park at the back of the parking lot of the store then power walk across the parking lot, do calf raises while doing dishes, anything to get your body in motion.

I wish you all the luck and if you need help or motivation, you can friend me and I'll be there!

9682602.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you're going to do great! Please feel free to add me!