Exercise and gaining weight?

Options
Okay, I have lost a stone and want to lose another 10lb this month, I am detoxing and drinking my water (I never used to) but I am also doing the 30 DS, will I put weight on this month even if I watch what I eat? If so, why would I do so? I understand (kinda) that people put weight one when exercising despite getting more toned. Can someone please explain this concept to me?

Will I reach my goals? Do I need to start eating at least 1200 calories a day? As I am not most days, mainly because in my head if I don't eat it I won't store it. (Wrong I know)

Thanks guys

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    bump
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat so as you lose body fat but gain muscle, there may be times when the weight of the muscle you are gaining is greater than the fat you are losing. Hope this helps - good luck!
  • zoodalia
    Options
    People who don't have much weight to lose will gain weight when they start gaining muscle mass. However, anyone who has a reasonable amount of body fat to lose will certainly still lose weight with exercise (because there is a lot of fat, far too much than could be replaced by muscle). Obviously the amount of food one consumes plays a part too!

Example; my sister is 5'8 and 119 pounds and started jogging and gained weight. I am 5'6 and 155 pounds and lost weight doing exactly the same thing. Hope this helps!

Good luck:)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat so as you lose body fat but gain muscle, there may be times when the weight of the muscle you are gaining is greater than the fat you are losing. Hope this helps - good luck!

MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THEN FAT!!!! that is a myth. Muscle takes up less space and is more dense but 1lb muscle weighs the same as 1lb fat
  • reesie92
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. I am fairly active (I ride several horses a day, usually) but I recently started up running again and I noticed I gained 7-8 pounds back, initially. I think this happens because muscle weighs more than fat, and I was toning up my legs more. I am gradually starting to go back down, but you shouldn't starve yourself of calories either.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've also heard people claiming they've gained muscle and therefore gained weight but need to be careful about using this to explain any weight gain as 1) note below from ProTFitness 1lb muscle = 1lb fat! and 2) years ago I knew a few body builders and they would do a serious amount of training and said it took a long long time (like up to a year) to gain a few extra pounds of muscle (I don't know whether or not this was due to them already being quite muscly but they were working some serious weights!!!). The 30DS sounds quite intense but as long as you increase your water intake and don't overclaim the exercise calories then I see no reason why you wouldn't continue to lose :D Boy, this stuff is complicated lol!
  • betty51
    Options
    Dr Oz was talking about this the other day. He said when you workout the muscles hold on to some fluid for repairing them but will release it later. Keep working out and don't worry about it .
  • max4pups
    max4pups Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THEN FAT!!!! that is a myth. Muscle takes up less space and is more dense but 1lb muscle weighs the same as 1lb fat

She is correct. When you look at 1 lb of fat vs 1 lb of muscle the muscle is smaller because of density.

When working out your body can also retain fluids differently than had you not.
    There are several factors to take into consideration. Are you eating back your full work out calories?
    How much you actually have to loose...
    For woman your TOM...
    Protein, Fat, and Carb in takes...

If you haven't taken your measurements, I would. And then start going by that if you know you are doing everything else correctly. Take them every couple of weeks to be most accurate.

Also figure in with the muscle retaining water that it takes 48 hours for it to repair itself, so don't over work your muscles.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You may gain numbers on the scale at first. I did with 30 DS. It's just your muscles retaining water as they repair themselves. If you do the routine regularly, then this will stop within the first few days (speaking from experience). It is not muscle gain... Unless you have very little weight to lose and are doing an intense weight lifting regime over a significant period of time.

Exercising should help you lose weight in addition to diet, but it also has added benefits. Unless you've suddenly decided to train as a body builder, gaining weight from exercise should not be a concern.
  • alyaouellet
    alyaouellet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, my friend who is a nutritionnist advised me to eat the minimum required calories If you have kids and live an active life...you need to eat those 1200 calories; lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies.

Best of luck! :-)
  • broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would say as long as the fat is turning into muscle or toning up, I wouldn't be so worried about loss. It's not that one outweighs the other, Its the fact that fat is being replaced with muscles. Like mentioned, if you are a lot heavier, you will still be losing weight because the fat will come off easier and faster than your muscles toning up as that takes a bit more time and effort. I too have a problem with eating my calories. I look at how much something has in it and think " Wow, that really has that many calories itself?!" and will just pass on it and eat something that has less calories so a lot of the days, I am less than 1000 a day. But then again it's usually in two meals and my snacks as I usually skip on breakfast. Bad I know but as I have been having trouble sleeping, I have been going to bed super late..or early (yeah its almost 6am and I got a little nap from 12-2 and have been up since) and then I get up late. Too late for breakfast. Try your best and eat your best. Good luck in your journey!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS and finally started losing weight. If you weigh yourself in the first week of starting a new exercise programme you may APPEAR to have gained weight but it is more than likely fluid that has collected around your sore muscles. This is normal. It is your body's way of protecting the muscles and helping them to rebuild (using your muscles causes tiny tears which your body repairs. This results in stronger, but not necessarily bigger, muscles) After a week or so this should disappear and you should find you are still losing weight but you will look better because your muscles will be more toned and you will probably have shrunk a little. I hope that makes sense :happy:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    If you are working out you need to be TAKING MEASUREMENTS!!! I started working out at the gym hard. 1-2 hours cardio and about 30-40 minutes of lifting weights daily about 3 weeks and my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit but I've been taking measurements and I've lost over 12 inches over my body during that time.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Will I reach my goals? Do I need to start eating at least 1200 calories a day? As I am not most days, mainly because in my head if I don't eat it I won't store it. (Wrong I know)

Thanks guys
    As to the first part about gaining weight from 30 DS, you may initially gain some water weight as the muscles are swollen. Drinking your water, getting appropriate rest, and time will smooth that issue out. (Yes you will gain a bit but it will offset itself, since more muscle will burn more fat.)

Secondly, how tall are you? You are, on average, logging WAY too few calories, compared to your 1200 goal. (Regularly UNDER 700-800!!!) When we diet, if we are losing a "good" amount of weight a week, we get very excited and tend to keep doing whatever it is we think is "working"... Check out how much caloric deficit it takes to burn a pound of fat off... how much does it take to burn a pound of muscle... Unless you are VERY short, are under direct doctor supervision or have some unusual issues, you are eating WAY too little on a regular basis, this can and will lead to you losing muscle at a much higher rate than fat! Weight bearing exercise will alleviate SOME of that but, you need to fuel your body, especially when exercising vigorously. Would you take a Porsche on holiday, expecting it to race along the road to your destination 100 km away on a liter of petrol... and GET there? That may be a simplistic analogy but it does paint the picture in broad strokes.
    If you are working out you need to be TAKING MEASUREMENTS!!! I started working out at the gym hard. 1-2 hours cardio and about 30-40 minutes of lifting weights daily about 3 weeks and my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit but I've been taking measurements and I've lost over 12 inches over my body during that time.

^And what they said^

Good Luck!

With Warmth and Friendship from Missouri!

~ Sonia
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I think trying to lose 10lb in one month might be a little high for your current weight. A safe 1% loss would be 1.5lb/wk or 6lb. I'm not saying it can't be done-we all know it can, but the more quickly you lose the more likely you are to put it back on. Just keep that in mind and don't beat yourself up if you only go down 5-6lb even though you are working your butt off in 30DS.

Instead focus on the changes your body is making. Definitely take measurements before you start! Take photos if you can. I didn't lose much weight on it but I did lose inches. I'm a lot stronger and I can see muscles under all the fat. :)

Calorie-wise, you'll see all sides here, but just from personal experience I'll tell you you need to NET at least 1200/day just to keep your energy levels up to get through all 30 days. Have a lean protein with every meal to help with muscle repair.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! I hate that phrase.