Bike riding for weight loss and fun!

The wife and I are looking to buy new bikes! Something light and for all terrains, comfortable seat and won't break my wallet!! Any ideas?

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    The husbster and me got a couple of hybrid town bikes from our local Cyle King (UK franachise) for under £300 the pair. I have the Ammaco High-Life (the pics in my profile pics) and it's been the making of me. I try and get out every day even if it's only around the block for 15mins. At the weekend I go out for an 8.5mile round trip and it really blows away the cobwebs.

Hybrids are a cross between a road bike and a town bike. you can't really go off-roading, but if there are any cycle routes near by they are excellent. I'd also invest in gel saddles as they are a godsend when going over bumpy terrain.

In just over a month, I've gone from totally whacked out to totally invigourated... just love the bike :bigsmile:
  • You might want to look at a TREK 700 series. I ride 20 to 30 miles a day and ridea 7.3. this is a hybrid. Its a cross between a mountain bike and road bike.
  • Moulton bikes are really good, expensive though. I have a Kona Dew which gets me everywhere, in town, countryside. I love the pashley bikes too although they're more town bikes.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    I'll put my vote in on the Trek 7000 series as well. Its a hybrid which means it will handle road riding very well but also can handle some tougher terrains too. Now you're not going to do serious off-roading like you would with a mountain bike but it handles gravel trails really well where a road bike might not. The Trek 7200 that I have has a suspended front fork and suspended seat which makes for a very comfortable ride. I believe it retails for around $550 so it's not a major budget baker either. Also because it is a Trek (i.e., bot popular and dependable) you can probably find a used one for sale pretty easily.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    I have a hard-tail mountain bike, and LOVE it. I ride mostly on gravel roads, but have the bike trailer on the back with the kids, so I'm not really off-roading too much either. I got it on sale for $400-ish..
    Really, the best thing to do is go and talk to your local bike shop. Heck, check out a couple bike shops. They should be listening to you , and give you the right bike for your needs. If they're not, they buy from one of the other ones. Test drive them, do all you can. Plus, that relationship will be a god send when you need to get the thing tuned up, fixed and what have you.

If you have the time, (at least for your wife) I would HIGHLY recommend reading "Every Woman's guide to Cycling" by Selene Yeager. TONS of info about finding the right bike for you, buying a bike, starting riding, the whole thing. Excellent read.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    I bought an older Giant brand mountain bike off craigslist.com. It was $300 originally $700 years ago and recently tuned up. Only 400 miles on it. The old lady I got it from had hurt her back. I love it but it wasn't "fitted" to me like a bike shop would do, so I am still adjusting it to my body.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Buy yourself a Cheap bike and a nice seat cover. It's the most cost efficient way to do it. :)

OH DEAR! I'm reading over this and figure I should tell you what I paid for my bike. Nothing. I got it from a friend who had it from her ex after he moved back to New Brunswick. The bike I had before that was $170 and it lasted me from the time I was 10 until I was 16.

I am much to cheap to pay what some of these people are paying... haha I would die!
  • Thank you all for the reply's.....we will start checking all the bike shops soon...the Trek or similar hybrid sounds good.