Bedford 10K with Pictures

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
Today I did the Bedford Harriers 10km race. This is my second ever 10K and I did it was part of my longer term goal of completing a Marathon next year.

The first 10K was in London earlier this year and I did it in 51 minutes... It was really busy though... half the battle was dodging other people.

This race was a lot more quiet - only 218 people - the weather was cool but not cold - perfect for running - and the course was pretty flat.

I started out a little too fast and a my hip started to stiffen up from an injury I had picked up during training, but I slowed the pace a little and after about 3K I started feeling really good. I crossed the 5K mark at 22.5 minutes - exactly the same time as my 5K PB - and after that I was gunning to smash my previous time. I kept the pace steady until the last 2K when I took it up a little and finally crossed the line in 45 minutes 4 seconds. There will always be a small part of me regretting those 4 seconds - but I was still thrilled with the time: I haven't come close to this in training as I have been focused on longer (slower) distances or have speed work with my club which includes a recovery time: so nothing quite like this!

DSC02000.JPG
Start of the race

DSC02002.JPG
End of the race

Really happy!

Next challenge:
Peterborough Half on Sun 09/10/2011 (Better than 2hrs)

I now want to get my 10K under a 7 minute mile (This is 7.12 so its not a huge challenge). I guess I need to find an event :)

Replies

• albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Well done on your 2nd 10K. I am in Bedford and am just doing C25K with the hope of doing a Park run sometime soon! Congratulations on your success.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Thank You Albali. The Bedford Harriers seem like a really good club of mixed abilities - if you fancy running with other people then I'm sure they would love you to join!
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    you are inspiring! congratulations on an amazing finish! great pics too!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Selfishly bumping this so my UK peeps can read it in the Monday morning coffee break. Did I mention that I'm pleased with myself?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Well done! My 10K as part of my half marathon preparation is this coming Sunday, though I'm expecting a time more like 70 minutes than your super speedy record!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an awesome time, congratulations!! Have you always been a good runner?
  • ShelleyLloyd
    Options
    I am proper impressed, I'm jealous!

Wish I could run as fast as you!

I try and some weeks do 3 x 5k runs and then I dont do any for ages and I'm back to square one again creating my running legs. Motivation is lacking big time!

I've managed two half marathons in my life, Hereford (2hrs 7mins) and Malvern (2 hrs 12 mins), admittedly I never trained for either and it was massively painful, the memories still hurt lol

For a gloomy Monday morning in my Malvern office you have certainly inspired me, may even go for a run tonight!

Keep posting! :-)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Well done!! The pics are fab!!

I only just started running and am hoping I can get fit enough and get the distance up enough to do The Great North Run next year. Last run I did was Sat and I managed 3km in 30 mins, which is a modest beginning with room to improve! Good luck with your marathon prep!!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Thanks everyone -
    Wow, what an awesome time, congratulations!! Have you always been a good runner?

Nope - I only started training this January when I started my diet. I've lost 33lb in the process and feel great!
    I only just started running and am hoping I can get fit enough and get the distance up enough to do The Great North Run next year. Last run I did was Sat and I managed 3km in 30 mins, which is a modest beginning with room to improve!

I've actually been training alongside with a friend who is doing the Great North this year... It looks like a fun race and I wish I was running with her... Its only two weeks before the Peterborough half. Anyway - looks like you are well set for this time next year if you keep training.... its just a question of increasing the distance one km at a time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!