Clicky Joints?

Options
I am working out but have very clicky shoulders, hips and knees, my biggest problem is my shoulders. Anyone have this, will regular massages help?

Replies

• sarahemily86
    sarahemily86 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see what others say on this too... my hip clicks sometimes.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sometimes mine arms do that a bit when I first pick up the weight. It seems to go away though. :)
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My knees sometimes do this....Even though they snap crackle and pop, there is no pain involved. I don't pay it too much attention...I'm just assuming that if it was something serious I would have pain. I have also experienced numbness in my knees before when increasing my routine by a large distance.
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've been using a foam roller which seems to help. I'm thinking massage therapist or chiropractor.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    My hips click audibly and my orthopedist said I have "snapping hip syndrome":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapping_hip_syndrome

Occasionally it hurts and I need to stop and do a certain stretch that will pop my hip joint and make it stop hurting... but other than that it doesn't really bother me. Is yours painful?
  • emperatrix
    emperatrix Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I click ALL the time. My ortho told me it's normal as long as there is no pain or swelling. Often, it's just air trapped in your joints moving around as you stretch. If you do feel pain or have any swelling, you should check it out because it might be a sign of arthritis. I have a bit of osteoarthritis in my knee, so the clicking there is VERY loud, almost like glass cracking.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on the reason for the clicking. If it is clicking due to damaged cartilage in the joint, I don't think massages would help. If its clicking because severe muscle tension is causing the joints to be slightly out of alignment, then massages to relieve this tension could be beneficial (or perhaps muscle relaxers if there is a severe, physiological reason for the tension).
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    Years ago I had a click on my knee when running and on biking. I had a little swelling on the outside of both knees. It turned out to be IT band syndrome. Some icing and stretching helped. Lots of info on this one online.