Diet adn Exercise...Help!!

Options
Ok, this site was recommended to me. At first I really liked the food calculator. However, it does not figure in lifting weights. To be truly correct if you lift you should have more protein. Any recommendations as to a site that gives you a real picture not just cardio into food? I have been at this for a long time. Wanting/trying to push to 20% body fat, to do this with a slow thyroid and low blood pressure...YUP LOW (LOL) how I eat and how my workout plays into how I eat is crucial. HELP!

Replies

• SusanneWhittington
    Options
    when you know the percentage between carbs, fat and protein you can change it at hour goals setting, that is what my husband and I did for more protein and less carbs.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You can change your percentages here manually - I have (I've changed to 30-30-40 and upped my fiber to 25, but you can change it to anything.)

I don't know of a site that does it automatically based on your exercise,all I know of just take into account calories from exercise and don't change your nutrient percentage.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lifting mega weights, the calorie burn is probably not as much as you would expect. The majority of the calories burned in an activity like running come from contracting muscles. Think of how many times you contract and relax huge muscles (quads, glutes, hams, calfs) in an hour of running versus an hour of lifting. The number of contractions is a tiny fraction in lifting vs. running and the calorie burn is also a much smaller number.

This does not mean that lifting does not have benefits. Increasing lean muscle mass can help increase metabolism over time. And, when you are losing weight you will be loosing fat and muscle unless you do some sort of strength training. So, building muscle is crucial but its only a part of the solution. Lifting should be done in conjunction with cardio work (running, walking, rowing, elliptical) to accomplish significant weight loss.