8 cups of water a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I always thought 1 cup was 8 ounces.

I faithfully drink 130 ounces a day---you MUST be drinking water in order to flush out the fat.

This is a common misunderstanding. Water does not magically "flush out" fat. The reason nutritionists recommend drinking 8 cups of water is two-fold. First keeping your body properly hydrated keeps you metabolism operating more efficiently. As you become dehydrated your metabolism slows. So getting proper hydration is key to weight loss. Second, water acts as a form of appetite suppressant. It helps you feel more full. Additionally people very often times mistake thirst for hunger so making sure you drinking enough water ensures you won't start eating when what your body really wants is water.
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I keep a 700ml bottle of water on hand at all times. If you drink 3 of those throughout the day, that's about 9 cups of water. I don't really drink anything else these days (learned that I resent drinking my calories & I've always been a big water drinker anyways).
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    In the morning, first thing, I drink a pint of water (Just over 16oz). I've never been a huge water drinker but once I've done that, I only have 3 pints left to go!!!! In my head, once I've had 4, I might as well have 5 because then the overflow is enough to make another whole glass!!! And then I'm generally on a roll!

I guess I'm just playing mind games with myself but I do find that I'm not hungry during the day - I think that's my BIG motivation for drinking so much.

I try to stop drinking 3 or 4 hours before bedtime or else I spend the night spending a 'penny'!!!